Flyers (now drafting #2 overall) and the 2017 NHL Draft (now with Poll)

pilldoc

With the #2 overall pick in the NHL 2017 Draft...What do you want the Flyers to do?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. If available, I want the Flyers to ......

• select Nico Hischier (C/RW) - Halifax
    • select Nolan Patrick (C) - Brandon
    • select Gabriel Vilardi (C) - Windsor
    • select other
    • Trade Pick to highest bidder for Kings Ransom

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2017/NHL-Draft-Profiles/Nico-Hischier

Nico Hischier's Player Profile

Jeff Marek of Sportsnet - Mar. 8th: "Popped big at the WJC and CHL Top Prospects game, but has tailed off slightly. Was injured and since returning has played a slightly different game. Some scouts worry about some of the fatigue he’s shown, but his skills more than compensate."

ISS Hockey - Mar. 4th: "Dynamic skater. Good speed, but it is his quickness & shiftiness that separates him."

ISS Hockey - Feb. 4th: "He’s the real deal. Tremendous poise w/the puck & was outstanding during CHL Top Prospect game."

Mike Morreale NHL.com - Jan. 20th: "The Switzerland-born left-shot forward (6-1, 176) has elite hockey sense, a nice scoring touch and underrated edge to his game. He excelled as an underage player for Switzerland at the 2017 IIHF World Junior Championship with four goals and three assists in five games. He has been dominant for Halifax with 64 points (32 goals, 32 assists) in 38 games."

Future Considerations: "A smooth-skating, playmaking center…good skating agility and top speed, but is more quick than fast…is able to make quick turns and displays good lateral movement…not big or strong, but still shows willingness to take hits and battle for space…goes into board battles and uses his body to fight for pucks…excellent playmaking instincts, vision and passing skills…puts puck where his linemates can best utilize the chance…an incredible stickhandler who thrives in possession and can make defenders look foolish"

Dennis Schellenberg Hockey Prospectus - Nov. 9th: "He is an outstanding stickhandler and can distribute pucks with great accuracy and awareness. He likes to have the puck on his stick and is a poised puck carrier, can make plays no one expects and make line mates better in any of his shifts."

OK....say Nico goes first, Patrick becomes a Flyer. He is SO well rounded, NHL ready he will not go back to junior....so where do you fit him into the line up...do you make him the 2nd line center...picking up buddy from the Bolts is now an albratross....a good problem though.

GOOD LORD, this ORG needed THIS!!!!

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2017/NHL-Draft-Profiles/Nolan-Patrick

Nolan Patrick's Player Profile

Jeff Marek of Sportsnet - Mar. 8th: "Since returning from injury has shown that he deserved to stay atop draft lists. Does everything so well, not flashy but has a pro style about him already. Think Jonathan Toews-lite."

ISS Hockey - Mar. 3rd: "Exceptional 2-way forward that can play all 3 zones & wins a ton of puck battles"

ISS Hockey - Feb. 2nd: "Top notch center just returned from injury and has 18 points in 12 games."

Mike Morreale NHL.com - Jan. 20th: "Patrick (6-foot-3, 198 pounds) is No. 1 on NHL Central Scouting's midterm list of North American skaters despite missing 35 games with a groin/stomach muscle injury. The right-shot center is as dangerous a passer as he is a shooter, and has great hockey sense."

Future Considerations: "A lethal combo of size, speed and skill; plays a power game and possesses one of the most well-rounded skill sets in the CHL…has great wheels and is able to surprise with his speed…hands and ability to protect the puck is high end…plays very responsibly with the puck, but also makes something happen each time he possesses it…uses his strength and reach to guard the puck, driving his way around the offensive zone…a heads-up, confident passer…has a sharp release on his wrist shot and is capable of beating a goaltender from anywhere in the offensive zone."

Dennis Schellenberg Hockey Prospectus - Nov. 9th: "The Brandon-player combines size, skill and speed and possesses a very well-rounded game. Patrick is a number-one NHL center and there are not many flaws in his game. Makes use of his long reach and strength when protecting the puck and plays an active game, always looking to create something when on the ice. Can distribute the pass as well as finish off plays."

4 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2017/NHL-Draft-Profiles/Nolan-Patrick

Nolan Patrick's Player Profile

Jeff Marek of Sportsnet - Mar. 8th: "Since returning from injury has shown that he deserved to stay atop draft lists. Does everything so well, not flashy but has a pro style about him already. Think Jonathan Toews-lite."

ISS Hockey - Mar. 3rd: "Exceptional 2-way forward that can play all 3 zones & wins a ton of puck battles"

ISS Hockey - Feb. 2nd: "Top notch center just returned from injury and has 18 points in 12 games."

Mike Morreale NHL.com - Jan. 20th: "Patrick (6-foot-3, 198 pounds) is No. 1 on NHL Central Scouting's midterm list of North American skaters despite missing 35 games with a groin/stomach muscle injury. The right-shot center is as dangerous a passer as he is a shooter, and has great hockey sense."

Future Considerations: "A lethal combo of size, speed and skill; plays a power game and possesses one of the most well-rounded skill sets in the CHL…has great wheels and is able to surprise with his speed…hands and ability to protect the puck is high end…plays very responsibly with the puck, but also makes something happen each time he possesses it…uses his strength and reach to guard the puck, driving his way around the offensive zone…a heads-up, confident passer…has a sharp release on his wrist shot and is capable of beating a goaltender from anywhere in the offensive zone."

Dennis Schellenberg Hockey Prospectus - Nov. 9th: "The Brandon-player combines size, skill and speed and possesses a very well-rounded game. Patrick is a number-one NHL center and there are not many flaws in his game. Makes use of his long reach and strength when protecting the puck and plays an active game, always looking to create something when on the ice. Can distribute the pass as well as finish off plays."

HA...just read that a minute before you posted....some REAL NICE stuff in there....what a day to be a Flyer fan!!

UM YEAH....6'3...wicked speed, forecheck...shot, the total package. GIMMIE!!! 

1 minute ago, jammer2 said:

HA...just read that a minute before you posted....some REAL NICE stuff in there....what a day to be a Flyer fan!!

yup....FYI ...just realized I have the wrong hyperlinlk to his profile...I corrected it.

5 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

OK....say Nico goes first, Patrick becomes a Flyer. He is SO well rounded, NHL ready he will not go back to junior....so where do you fit him into the line up...do you make him the 2nd line center...picking up buddy from the Bolts is now an albratross....a good problem though.

GOOD LORD, this ORG needed THIS!!!!

If you are meaning Valteri Filppula, it's really not an issue because Valteri can and does play wing, so he can slot in as a winger on either top line if needed, he also is no stranger to playing 3C and if the Flyers have some reasonable wingers to pair him with on a third line, the Flyers could potentially be looking at a decent third scoring line as opposed to the usual grind'em type third line.

On top of all that, Filppula will be entering his final year of his current contract, so if he really does become a 'spare part' he can always be traded at the deadline or just let him ride out his contract and worry about filling in his spot the year after that.

Like you said, it's a good problem to have, but fortunately for the Flyers, Filppula is quite versatile and not likely to raise any kind of locker room drama because he is being asked to play on a particular line.

Just posted this somewhere.   I have Season Tickets to the Halifax Mooseheads and watched Hischier all year so if it is him I will be so happy,  but even happy for Patrick as well but haven't seen him play.    Hischier doesn't look very big,  he could probably put on some muscle but he is quite the skilled guy.   Just like the review says he is more quick than fast if that makes sense.  He can control the puck in a phone booth and is elusive with the puck.   He will be behind a guy with the puck with some distance between them but he will somehow come away with the puck.   Very heads up with and without the puck.   High hockey IQ.

I must admit, I have not been keeping close tabs on Patrick out west. I knew that he was really well rounded, the catch line was good at everything, not outstanding at anything....but after reading that...I don't know if I would take Nico over him. First off, he's a BEAST, 6'3...is he even done growing??

One thing for sure, the Flyers just got a WHOLE lot more SKILLED and FAST!!!  Gotta watch every video available...but I will tell you, Vilardi should not be in the conversation...just MHO.

4 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

If you are meaning Valteri Filppula, it's really not an issue because Valteri can and does play wing, so he can slot in as a winger on either top line if needed, he also is no stranger to playing 3C and if the Flyers have some reasonable wingers to pair him with on a third line, the Flyers could potentially be looking at a decent third scoring line as opposed to the usual grind'em type third line.

On top of all that, Filppula will be entering his final year of his current contract, so if he really does become a 'spare part' he can always be traded at the deadline or just let him ride out his contract and worry about filling in his spot the year after that.

Like you said, it's a good problem to have, but fortunately for the Flyers, Filppula is quite versatile and not likely to raise any kind of locker room drama because he is being asked to play on a particular line.

Ahhh, good points TFG, I had forgot about Fipps ability to play the wing. Nice call.

1 minute ago, TimKerrFan12 said:

Just posted this somewhere.   I have Season Tickets to the Halifax Mooseheads and watched Hischier all year so if it is him I will be so happy,  but even happy for Patrick as well but haven't seen him play.    Hischier doesn't look very big,  he could probably put on some muscle but he is quite the skilled guy.   Just like the review says he is more quick than fast if that makes sense.  He can control the puck in a phone booth and is elusive with the puck.   He will be behind a guy with the puck with some distance between them but he will somehow come away with the puck.   Very heads up with and without the puck.   Hi hockey IQ.

Hilarious, what are the odds....2 members of this forum, you and I, both have season tickets to 2 of the top 3 ranked forwards in this draft....awesome.

2 minutes ago, TimKerrFan12 said:

I guess I am a huge homer but I did suggest we trade for Drouin when his value was low.   Suggested we draft Nikolaj Ehlers and Voracek.   I also endorse Nico Hischier. :)

I remember all of that bro, all really nice calls...although endorsing Nico after his World Jr's performance is like saying Santa likes snow....lol.

God: Ed, what will you give up if I allow the Flyers to select 2nd in the 2017 draft??

Ed: I forfeit my right to visit the Muslim section AND the 100 virgins, and you can have my infinite supply of Cuban cigars..deal?

1 minute ago, jammer2 said:

God: Ed, what will you give up if I allow the Flyers to select 2nd in the 2017 draft??

Ed: I forfeit my right to visit the Muslim section AND the 100 virgins, and you can have my infinite supply of Cuban cigars..deal?

Now that is truly funny.......

More on Nolan Patrick ....

Name: Nolan Patrick

Position: Centre

Shoots: Right

Birthdate: 1998-09-19

Height, weight: 6’3”, 198 lbs

Team, league: Brandon Wheat Kings, WHL

Stats (from eliteprospects.com): 

GP

G

A

P

PIM

+/-

33 20 26 46 36 9

Rankings: 
#1 by Hockeyprospect.com
#1 by ISS Hockey
#1 by Future Considerations
#1 by McKeen’s Hockey
#1 by NHL Central Scouting (NA Skaters)

Risk, Reward: 1.5/5, 5/5

NHL-potential: First-line centre

Draft Range: Top three

Scouting report

A lethal combo of size, speed and skill; plays a power game and possesses one of the most well-rounded skill sets in the CHL…has great wheels and is able to surprise with his speed…hands and ability to protect the puck is high end…plays very responsibly with the puck, but also makes something happen each time he possesses it…uses his strength and reach to guard the puck, driving his way around the offensive zone…a heads-up, confident passer…has a sharp release on his wrist shot and is capable of beating a goaltender from anywhere in the offensive zone….his slap shot has high-level accuracy and velocity…a ruthless presence off the puck, simply overpowers his opponents…a great leader, commanding respect with his work ethic and consistent high level of play…willing to stand up for his teammates and bring justice as he sees fit…beats teams with his IQ and seems to always be in control of the play…a number-one NHL center in the making. (Future Considerations, November 2016)

Strengths

Nolan Patrick is an outstanding offensive player who can do it all. Listed at 6-foot-3 and roughly 200 pounds, he has prototypical NHL-centre size. That is an asset Patrick uses consistently to outmuscle and power through opponents. He is an extremely dangerous and effective power forward who is very hard to knock off the puck thanks to great puck-protection skills.

But, unlike many other players who excel in juniors thanks to a large frame and a good scoring drive, Patrick stands out as an extremely smart player as well. His hockey I.Q. is elite, and Patrick is the type of player who makes those around him better. He gets a huge amount of time with the puck every game, not only because he fights for it, but because he is always in the right place at the right time. When he has the puck, Patrick knows what to do with it. He has excellent hands, plays accurate passes and has a heavy, accurate shot. There isn’t much Patrick can’t do with the puck on his stick.  Every time he gets possession, he makes something happen.

Weaknesses

Going into the year, many scouts would have listed just about every hockey skill under the headline “strengths” for Patrick. But things have changed.

In the scouting report above, Future Considerations still noted Patrick “has great wheels and is able to surprise with his speed.” However, many scouts call Patrick’s skating his biggest weakness now, at least when it comes to speed.

Another knock on him, though this is not talent-related, is Patrick’s injury history. He missed almost 20 games in the 2014-15 season and was limited to 33 regular-season contests this year. The worst part: he missed that time rehabbing from sports hernia surgery — which is worrying at this young age.

Final Thoughts

Patrick went into the year as the clear-cut, unrivalled No. 1 prospect for the 2017 draft. But as the season progressed, it seemed like some scouts liked him less and less. One of the major points scouts look out for is how players improve throughout a season; and Patrick’s production fell from 1.42 last season to 1.39 in 2016-17. Plus, the surgery and injury worries have scouts looking at him carefully, to say the least.

All that said, Patrick still has No. 1 centre potential, no matter what people tell you. His hockey sense and puck skills are elite, and he has the perfect NHL frame. Patrick is no Connor McDavid or Auston Matthews, but that doesn’t mean he can’t become a Jonathan Toews-type player in the NHL one day.

5 minutes ago, TimKerrFan12 said:

I was trying to figure that out myself...I didn't recognize the guy.  

I entered the show late, which is a bummer, cause I missed out on the sheer and utter joy of watching the Flyers cards NOT come up one by one....I turned it on at 4th pick....but it could have been Chris Pryor, the Flyers head scout perhaps?

More on Nico Hischier ....

Name: Nico Hischier

Birthdate: 1999-01-04

Height, weight: 6’1,174 lbs

Team, league: Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL

GP

G

A

P

PIM

+/-

57 38 48 86 24 20

Rankings: 

#2 by Hockeyprospect.com
#2 by ISS Hockey
#2 by Future Considerations
#2 by McKeen’s Hockey
#2 by NHL Central Scouting (NA Skaters)

Risk, Reward: 2/5, 5/5

Scouting report

A smooth-skating, playmaking center…good skating agility and top speed, but is more quick than fast…is able to make quick turns and displays good lateral movement…not big or strong, but still shows willingness to take hits and battle for space…goes into board battles and uses his body to fight for pucks…excellent playmaking instincts, vision and passing skills…puts puck where his linemates can best utilize the chance…an incredible stickhandler who thrives in possession and can make defenders look foolish…competitive and driven…poise is a major standout attribute…dangerous when given time, especially on the power play as he takes full control of the play from the half wall with the puck, using his impressive agility, hands and vision to make plays…plays a responsible defensive game…one of the best talents to come out of Switzerland. (Future Considerations)

Strengths

If there is one player who can challenge Nolan Patrick for the first-overall selection, it’s Nico Hischier — and for good reason. The Swiss centre combines high-end puck skills with elite hockey sense and strong two way play. In other words, he is exactly what teams want in their top six.  There really isn’t much Hischier can’t do offensively. He is a terrific skater who loves using quick movements and his equally quick hands to move past defencemen. Hischier has excellent vision and passing skill which allows him to set up teammates for scoring chances. But, he also has an outstanding release on his wrist shot that can cause trouble for opposing goaltenders. Hischier isn’t overly big or strong, but that doesn’t prevent him from making plays offensively. He goes to the dirty areas like he just doesn’t care about size deficits, and he has been mightily successful playing that way. Hischier knows what he can do, and he is simply confident in doing it. Last but not least, Hischier knows his defensive responsibilities and plays a sound defensive game. The more exciting aspect about his game is obviously his offensive prowess, but it’s always good to have centres you can rely on in all three zones.

Weaknesses

A 6-foot-1, 174-pound centre, Hischier does not have ideal NHL size. Especially considering his style of play — often rushing through anything and anyone standing in his way — that could become an issue at the next level. That said, if he can bulk up a bit over the next few years and get stronger, this shouldn’t be much of an issue.

Apparently some scouts worry about Hischier showing more fatigue than he should, but that shouldn’t be much of a concern either. Moving from Europe to Canada is a huge step as there are some major differences between the continents not only in style of play but also training. Plus, Hischier has played in Switzerland’s under-18 and under-20 teams this year, adding to the pressure. I’m sure he’ll be fine after another North American year under his belt.

Final Thoughts

Has Hischier surpassed Patrick as this year’s No. 1 pick? Possibly. Hischier has everything you want to see from a top-line centre, and you probably can’t go wrong with him no matter which pick you use on him.

Yet, there are obviously some concerns, most notably his size. Can he translate his game fully to the NHL or will he be limited to a second-line role? At this point, the only thing teams can do is draft him and find out. After all, his skating, hockey sense and skill make him an intriguing prospect.

We often hear this year’s draft class being called ‘weak’, mostly because it doesn’t have a Connor McDavid or Auston Matthews in the first round. Perhaps we are just a little spoiled after seeing four future franchise players (McDavid, Matthews, Jack Eichel, Patrik Laine) burst into the league over the past two years. However, that doesn’t mean there’s no first-round talent to be had.

1 minute ago, pilldoc said:

More on Nico Hischier ....

Name: Nico Hischier

Birthdate: 1999-01-04

Height, weight: 6’1,174 lbs

Team, league: Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL

GP

G

A

P

PIM

+/-

57 38 48 86 24 20

Rankings: 

#2 by Hockeyprospect.com
#2 by ISS Hockey
#2 by Future Considerations
#2 by McKeen’s Hockey
#2 by NHL Central Scouting (NA Skaters)

Risk, Reward: 2/5, 5/5

Scouting report

A smooth-skating, playmaking center…good skating agility and top speed, but is more quick than fast…is able to make quick turns and displays good lateral movement…not big or strong, but still shows willingness to take hits and battle for space…goes into board battles and uses his body to fight for pucks…excellent playmaking instincts, vision and passing skills…puts puck where his linemates can best utilize the chance…an incredible stickhandler who thrives in possession and can make defenders look foolish…competitive and driven…poise is a major standout attribute…dangerous when given time, especially on the power play as he takes full control of the play from the half wall with the puck, using his impressive agility, hands and vision to make plays…plays a responsible defensive game…one of the best talents to come out of Switzerland. (Future Considerations)

Strengths

If there is one player who can challenge Nolan Patrick for the first-overall selection, it’s Nico Hischier — and for good reason. The Swiss centre combines high-end puck skills with elite hockey sense and strong two way play. In other words, he is exactly what teams want in their top six.  There really isn’t much Hischier can’t do offensively. He is a terrific skater who loves using quick movements and his equally quick hands to move past defencemen. Hischier has excellent vision and passing skill which allows him to set up teammates for scoring chances. But, he also has an outstanding release on his wrist shot that can cause trouble for opposing goaltenders. Hischier isn’t overly big or strong, but that doesn’t prevent him from making plays offensively. He goes to the dirty areas like he just doesn’t care about size deficits, and he has been mightily successful playing that way. Hischier knows what he can do, and he is simply confident in doing it. Last but not least, Hischier knows his defensive responsibilities and plays a sound defensive game. The more exciting aspect about his game is obviously his offensive prowess, but it’s always good to have centres you can rely on in all three zones.

Weaknesses

A 6-foot-1, 174-pound centre, Hischier does not have ideal NHL size. Especially considering his style of play — often rushing through anything and anyone standing in his way — that could become an issue at the next level. That said, if he can bulk up a bit over the next few years and get stronger, this shouldn’t be much of an issue.

Apparently some scouts worry about Hischier showing more fatigue than he should, but that shouldn’t be much of a concern either. Moving from Europe to Canada is a huge step as there are some major differences between the continents not only in style of play but also training. Plus, Hischier has played in Switzerland’s under-18 and under-20 teams this year, adding to the pressure. I’m sure he’ll be fine after another North American year under his belt.

Final Thoughts

Has Hischier surpassed Patrick as this year’s No. 1 pick? Possibly. Hischier has everything you want to see from a top-line centre, and you probably can’t go wrong with him no matter which pick you use on him.

Yet, there are obviously some concerns, most notably his size. Can he translate his game fully to the NHL or will he be limited to a second-line role? At this point, the only thing teams can do is draft him and find out. After all, his skating, hockey sense and skill make him an intriguing prospect.

We often hear this year’s draft class being called ‘weak’, mostly because it doesn’t have a Connor McDavid or Auston Matthews in the first round. Perhaps we are just a little spoiled after seeing four future franchise players (McDavid, Matthews, Jack Eichel, Patrik Laine) burst into the league over the past two years. However, that doesn’t mean there’s no first-round talent to be had.

They call this draft weak because of the lack of depth and no generational talents like Matthews, McDavid etc.

Archived