Senators brand change

Puck_Pun

https://senshot.com/2017/09/03/ottawa-senators-re-brand-culture-change/

With the Binghamton Senators wearing a jumper that looks identical to the Sens previous thrid jersey (with the O replaced with a B of course) it's really a matter of time before their jerseys will have the O as the central logo instead of the centurion. It's most likely that they wanted to do it for this season, but the issues with dealing with a new manufacturer pushed back the plans by a year. That said, it's probably for the best- there is a generation of people who have grown up with some variation of the centurion logo (I personally prefer the 2D version) and this season would be a good opportunity to embed the O as their visual identity through ice logos and signage, before bringing it in to totally replace the centurion for the 18/19 season.

So, what do I think of it? I kinda like it. There's a reason why I chose their third jumper as the one I bought, after all- its connection to the team's history is wonderful, and I found their regular jumpers to be a little plain (something that got worse with the 17/18 redesign). There have been some fan redesigns that have looked beautiful, including one that was black with red and white stripes along the bottom and across the elbows, incorporating the current centurion design. I wouldn't be upset if something like that was released along with the new logo next year, as mostly black jumpers look great to my eye. Really the only issue with the O logo is people who will think they are clever by saying that it looks like they have a 0 on their chests. And frankly the idiot brigade shouldn't be a reason to not embark on a rebranding.

I didn't realize the "O" jerseys were that popular.  If they do make the switch to the "O" they would be the only team that has a main logo associated to the City but nothing towards the team name as they could then be the Ottawa ... anythings.  

I can see though where the "O" representing favorable history is a good thing, but frankly, I'm not a fan of this logo change.

I like the style of the 3rd sweater, I like the vintage color scheme and the broad stripes. The senator could be a secondary logo on a sleeve or shoulder... I was never much of a fan of the whole, Centurion/Senator look, to begin with.

I have always thought the Senators had a boring look despite the hard to **** up black red and white color palate. 

This will go down in history as a mistake I'm thinking. I smell Captain Highliner here but hey, NHL teams have to screw with their identity and heritage regularly or they wouldn't be NHL teams now would they? :)

Let's get to the real reason behind the change: The Senators have traded their identity and colors to the Vegas Golden Knights. (Only one medieval warrior head logo allowed at one time in the NHL. That's in the rules.) They'll change their team name to something other than Senators and (I swear to #$%^%#@) they'll come back with uniforms in a completely different color.... probably something ORANGE or YELLOW because ya know.... ya gots to have orange and yellow these days if you're a hip and trendy NHL team. Maybe they'll throw a little blue in there too. Go for the Islanders colors or something! (I think they'll be available soon when that franchise folds.)  :VeryCool:

Don't mind me being obnoxious!  :dancing:

On 9/5/2017 at 9:22 PM, hf101 said:

I didn't realize the "O" jerseys were that popular.  If they do make the switch to the "O" they would be the only team that has a main logo associated to the City but nothing towards the team name as they could then be the Ottawa ... anythings. 

Well, to be accurate it really doesn't have a picture of a senator as their current logo either- though a logo featuring an Italian in a toga or a Canadian in a suit would hardly inspire.

Archived