Death, taxes and the Flyers playing like **** after Christmas

Samifan

35 minutes ago, Jam1986 said:

Hextall blowing this team. Tk and Patrick need more seasoning. Simmons is not worth 6 or 7 mil. Jake. G same thing.

Agree jam... 

I still think G and Jake could be successful with the right ayers but this is not the group and we are wasting their prime being stuck in nuetral all these years.   We have been a nonfactor team for years yet we are asked to be more and more patient.   We are at least 4 years away from being a team that *might* make some noise if the draft pics pan out.   Patience is one thing but there seems to be an air of lack of direction right now...   

And I put everything on St Ronnie.   It might work out and it might not but right now it is more listless hockey for the fans.   And in Philly that sucks... 

We used to be a hockey destination and right now we are hockey pergutory.   Stuck in neutral and nothing but hope for us fans... 

3 hours ago, brelic said:

I think they can be compared. Obviously, they are different players, but they can be compared as to their NHL readiness. Hischier was contributing from the preseason on. He didn’t start on the top line but worked his way there through his play. 

Patrick has done the opposite, and is getting 2nd line opportunities when his play doesn’t warrant it. 

I’m not writing him off. But it’s fair to say Patrick is being outplayed by Laughton. That won’t be the case long-term,  but it is the case right now, which is a fair observation. 

I get what you’re saying that if he is the future, he needs minutes. The issue I have with that is that he hasn’t even shown he belongs on the 3rd line, let alone 2nd line. Weal plays wing and the occasional stint as a C. Patrick just plays C, which can explain some TOI differences. 

What explains the differences is that our coach is a fricken window-licking imbecile (no offense to anyone here who partakes in window pane taste-testing).

I really would not under-estimate the effect of his missing most of last year and the summer.   Jumping straight from nearly a year-long layoff into the unchartered territory of the rigors of the NHL is not an easy thing.   Is that an argument for keeping him in juniors an extra year?  YES.   Ironically, it may be an argument for keeping his ice time down.   

But he's spent the majority of the season on the third line, not the second.  That's a recent development.   It really is a rhythm thing and he needs more ice time.  He's not as slow as you're making out.   He was quite fast enough at the beginning of the season.  I swear to god this amateur coach put retarders on the entire team.   The whole thing downshifted after a start where you're saying, "damn, this team is suddenly fast!"   

The thing about Patrick is that he's largely a playmaker.  So when they did put him up to the second line, they put him with Voracek who is a passer and has like 6% accuracy on his shots and is a turnover machine, and Raffl who is not exactly anything but barely average.

He has crap and is playing less than a quarter of a game even at the 12 minute line.   Don't put him on the top line.  We finally got Couturier going, so don't screw that up.   But get a damn winger on one of the other lines.  Simmonds is barely Simmonds and the team is still filled with beer league cast-offs.   Even Filppula would be better if he had something to play with.   Everyone was all excited about Weal.  I'm sorry to say that I have NOT been proven wrong about him.  He had a great stretch at the end of last year, but Leino did similar.  How did he turn out?  Weal is a journeyman nothing.

Weise, Lehtera, Leier, Weal, Raffl...only the trivia buff will remember a single one of them in 5 years.  Completely forgettable players.

Patrick has been misused.   By both the GM, who broke his own rules, and the coach who may actually be incapable of even reading rules.  Patrick should have stayed in juniors and grown and gotten some skating and competition under him at a less pressure-filled setting.    Barring that, he should be at Worlds but our organization is brain dead.

He'll be fine if we haven't destroyed him.   Fear not.    After several years of being bounced around mindlessly by the Flyers' coach du jour, we'll trade him for a couple picks and an overpaid nothing plumber (no offense to plumbers here) and he'll suddenly become Monahan or someone.

If you want to see some passion watch the world juniors, not the flyers. I haven't totally given up on nhl, I will watch again come april! regular season is so boring now, no more animosity or Rivalries, not like the good old days.

5 hours ago, murraycraven said:

Sorry but you truly believe Nolan should have made this team based on his preseason play?    I'm sorry but that just is not true.   He was nothing more than "meh" and clearly trying to find hi conditioning and game. 

He should have went back to Jr given his injuries and his absence of play

Again, St Ronnie had him penciled in the lineup before he was even drafted.   

I completely respect your opinion and usually am in total agreement with you but this topic we just disagree on...   Has he been meh?   Yup...   Has Hak really given hi. And opportunity to play out of the meh?   No.... 

I think my post wasn’t clear lol. No, I don’t think Patrick should have made the team based on preseason play - I’m in agreement with you that he should have been sent back. I was saying Hischier had a strong preseason and showed he belonged. Patrick didn’t. He clung onto a spot.

3 minutes ago, brelic said:

I think my post wasn’t clear lol. No, I don’t think Patrick should have made the team based on preseason play - I’m in agreement with you that he should have been sent back. I was saying Hischier had a strong preseason and showed he belonged. Patrick didn’t. He clung onto a spot.

I think that's accurate. I'm defending Patrick because of injury, etc., but the smart play is letting him reacclimate in juniors and save the contact year. 

Archived