What a delayed penalty!

SpikeDDS

I’ve never seen anything like that. Wings get a power play, and then 15 seconds into it, Mike Green takes a penalty. And then for the next almost 2 minutes, the Sens play keep away and completely nullify the remainder of the power play! Only 5 seconds remained of the penalty!

Fortunately, they were not able to capitalize on their ensuing 1:55 power play. 

Blashill said it best in his post-game comments when asked about it: “That’s gotta go down as one of the worst 2 minutes of power play time in the history of mankind.”

LOL @ Guy Boucher and NHL clock/time rules.

First the 1-3-1 stalemate with TB against Philly some years back, now this with his Sens.

If nothing else, you gotta give it to the man........ he has read the rulebook, and if it doesn't EXPLICITELY say he can't have a cook out while a game is going on and that it can last for no longer than 45 minutes, THAT man is gonna do it, and take 44 minutes to do so!

:lol:

@SpikeDDS

Absolutely wretched, never in my life have I seen anything like that. I remember the Russian Red Army unit we would put out there, it was impossible to take the puck away from them, they would pass it back and forth and make the other team look hopeless but that.....that was simply embarrassing. At least somehow we won the game.

When are AA, Larkin and Mantha going to finally start being our on ice leaders for ice time night in and night out? Just an aside, sorry, good to see a nice winning streak which seems to have a lot to do with the kids getting more ice time, just hoping it is permanent and not a blip.

I like the line of Helm, Neilsen and Abby, the three of them seem to work well together. Still hate our defense. Absolutely love the way Howie has been playing, it is the best hockey of his career. Z with career assist 600 last night. Like a fine wine.  Just a few quick thoughts, sorry for hijacking the thread, lol.

@yave1964 

He keeps playing like he is, Jimmy Howard is never gonna pay a cent for another meal! And the rest of he team will be having bacon, because Howard keeps saving theirs!

Despite scoring a goal last night—and a good one—Tats just looked lost for most of the game. Dude coughed up numerous pucks, passes directly to opposing players. Trying to do too much. My brother thinks him getting $5M a year is Holland’s biggest sin. I still think the previous contracts to others are worse, but last night was his Exhibit A. Hard to argue.

You can see Larkin and AA starting to figure things out. They are starting to accommodate to the faster pace. Their minds are seeing the game slower. Blashill DOES have it right, that those two are skating more to where the puck is GOING to be or recognizing that they need to pass it into the space where the other WILL occupy. Remember back when Lidstrom and Datsyuk and others did that on a regular basis?

The problem is—as you well note—the breakout. We don’t have a D core that can think fast enough to anticipate where the forwards WILL be and start the assault forward. It’s not necessarily foot speed, but mind speed.

Even though Z has lost a step, the reason he remains competitive is his ability to anticipate. He fed Nyke for that breakaway. That’s just Ice vision, and other than Mike Green, our D core doesn’t have it. Kronner used to, but he last lost 3 steps and is playing catch-up too much which nullifies that most times. The rest of our D just simply cannot read plays fast enough, consistently enough.

You look at us now, and think back to 10 years ago, and you realize just how good Nicklas Lidstrom was. It was easy to take what he did for granted, he did it SO consistently for SO long, it became...normal. Today, that kind of playmaking from the back end is sporadic AT BEST.

As an aside, how the heck is Ericsson leading our team in +/-? I believe I have rightfully given up on him, and perhaps my bias has gotten the best of me, but I still see him coughing up pucks, and yet he is + for the season. I am not saying he is not playing better than last year. He is. But leading the team in +/-?! Never woulda thunk it!

@TropicalFruitGirl26

That 1-3-1 game was just about the most laughably unwatchable game ever. And the stupid/bad thing was that TB won that game. It worked, creating this conflict of playing boring NJ trap hockey that wins vs. playing hockey that has a modicum of entertainment value that loses more than it wins against that boring system. I’m glad there was more shame associated with it than smarts.

Still, an amusing walk down Memory Lane!

Archived