Are you worried, Pens fans?

B21

We are basically at the halfway point with the Pens about to go on their "bye week" They currently hold the last wild card but really only because they have anywhere from 1 to 3 games in hand on the teams behind them. Still only 4 points back of the Blue Jackets for 3rd place in the Metro. Finally getting healthy with only Rust and Ruhwedel on IR.

So...should we worry? Do they sneak in as a wild card? Go on a late season run to reach 2nd or 3rd in the Metro?

Just my $.02. I think JR does make an "impact" trade soon - especially now that they are healthy. Oleksiak seems to have shored up the D. 5 on 5 scoring is a huge black hole for them and I just don't like Guentzel as a 3C. Sprong should stay. I think he's the Sheary/Rust/Wilson of 2015 or the Guentzel of 2016.  

I wouldn't be upset if they missed out entirely and retool for next year (this season is gravy as far as I'm concerned) but I think they get in - maybe comfortably - and become that cliched "low seed that no one wants to play". Can anyone imagine if it's Pens/Caps in Round 1?  Not sure if the Caps would be "Yeah - we got them now" or "Oh f--- not these guys again".

1 hour ago, B21 said:

We are basically at the halfway point with the Pens about to go on their "bye week" They currently hold the last wild card but really only because they have anywhere from 1 to 3 games in hand on the teams behind them. Still only 4 points back of the Blue Jackets for 3rd place in the Metro. Finally getting healthy with only Rust and Ruhwedel on IR.

So...should we worry? Do they sneak in as a wild card? Go on a late season run to reach 2nd or 3rd in the Metro?

Just my $.02. I think JR does make an "impact" trade soon - especially now that they are healthy. Oleksiak seems to have shored up the D. 5 on 5 scoring is a huge black hole for them and I just don't like Guentzel as a 3C. Sprong should stay. I think he's the Sheary/Rust/Wilson of 2015 or the Guentzel of 2016.  

I wouldn't be upset if they missed out entirely and retool for next year (this season is gravy as far as I'm concerned) but I think they get in - maybe comfortably - and become that cliched "low seed that no one wants to play". Can anyone imagine if it's Pens/Caps in Round 1?  Not sure if the Caps would be "Yeah - we got them now" or "Oh f--- not these guys again".

I'm thinking they will make it into the 3rd spot in the division only by a few points! 

I'm expecting a trade some time soon. I'm not sure who or what  team would be involved. I would like to see a draft choice come our way! 

It would be nice to see the Pens eliminate the Capitals in the first round of the playoffs! Lol!

5 hours ago, B21 said:

Can anyone imagine if it's Pens/Caps in Round 1?  Not sure if the Caps would be "Yeah - we got them now" or "Oh f--- not these guys again".

I can, there is no way the Pens don't make the playoffs. 

There is too much there, there right now.  They are scraping around playing so-so hockey and are still in the last PO spot or a point out of it. They'll pull it together and have another nice run, maybe not a 3peat but ECF or an entertaining as hell ESF. 

I don't see the Caps ever winning with 8 as the lead dog, so seeing a Caps/Pens match-up in the first round would be entertaining.  I'll be able to root for each team to lose, and for Sinkhole-Under-the-Arena.  There's a lot to like about the matchup.

At the moment, I would not be surprised if they do not make this season. After two cups, they just look out of gas most of the time.   In previous seasons, simple talent would carry them, but that's not the case this year.  They just aren't as hungry as the teams that they are playing.   

I don't see them making a major dabble in free agency this year.  I know that Cole has been rumored a lot as trade bait, but he's just worth someone that would make a difference.  I'd rather see them hold the line and see if Sprong and Simon can make the next step up like Guentzel has. I really like what I see from both.   Kind off odd that Crosby always seems to get the young guys as the past two games Sprong and Simon where his linemates for long periods. 

All that being said, one good streak after the break and they should make it.  Maybe a couple more rivalry games will help them out.

On 1/8/2018 at 6:23 PM, mojo1917 said:

I can, there is no way the Pens don't make the playoffs. 

There is too much there, there right now.  They are scraping around playing so-so hockey and are still in the last PO spot or a point out of it. They'll pull it together and have another nice run, maybe not a 3peat but ECF or an entertaining as hell ESF. 

I don't see the Caps ever winning with 8 as the lead dog, so seeing a Caps/Pens match-up in the first round would be entertaining.  I'll be able to root for each team to lose, and for Sinkhole-Under-the-Arena.  There's a lot to like about the matchup.

I don't know, man. 50%+ gone and the Pens are 8th/out (depending on how you look at games in hand.  Still well within striking distance of 3rd or even 2nd in the division but still.  They "could" get a second wind (if you buy into the fatigue theory which I do - to a point) and they could kick it into another gear once it "really" looks like they could be on the outside looking in. At this point, I wouldn't be shocked either way.

On 1/10/2018 at 11:28 AM, B21 said:

I don't know, man. 50%+ gone and the Pens are 8th/out (depending on how you look at games in hand.  Still well within striking distance of 3rd or even 2nd in the division but still.  They "could" get a second wind (if you buy into the fatigue theory which I do - to a point) and they could kick it into another gear once it "really" looks like they could be on the outside looking in. At this point, I wouldn't be shocked either way.

I  believe the Pens turned the corner. It  does seem that certain players have pick up the pace! If they keep playing well a 3rd place finish would be sufficient! 

15 hours ago, notfondajane said:

I  believe the Pens turned the corner. It  does seem that certain players have pick up the pace! If they keep playing well a 3rd place finish would be sufficient! 

The way things are going in Pittsburgh (Gerritt Cole traded. Steelers lose to Jacksonville. Cutch traded.) it's only a matter of time before Crosby is diagnosed with another season-ending concussion.  I feel like Tom Hanks  when the volleyball was lost at sea.

1 hour ago, B21 said:

The way things are going in Pittsburgh (Gerritt Cole traded. Steelers lose to Jacksonville. Cutch traded.) it's only a matter of time before Crosby is diagnosed with another season-ending concussion.  I feel like Tom Hanks  when the volleyball was lost at sea.

What did you expect from a team that doesn't want to win a thing like the Pirates? 

In all honesty, the Steelers could leave for Tim buck too and I would jump for joy!

Let's hope that Crosby doesn't receive another concussion! 

If there's one thing about the Penguins, it's that they know how to win games that matter. 

I would put my money on them making the playoffs, and the Rangers or Islanders not. Jersey is fading fast too - six straight losses.

Flyers, I think, will be just on the outside looking in. 

As annoying as it was to watch the Flyers play game after game against the Western conference, I think the schedule balance favours a team like the Pens who can get motivated by playing divisional rivals when their playoff hopes depend on it.

Archived