Alain Vigneault Fired

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/23070458/alain-vigneault-fired-new-york-rangers

Rangers relieve coach Alain Vigneault after disappointing season

The New York Rangers fired head coach Alain Vigneault on Saturday.

Vigneault was hired to a five-year, $10 million contract by the Rangers on June 21, 2013. He signed a two-year contract extension in January 2017.

The announcement came after the Rangers closed out the season with a loss to the Philadelphia Flyers in Philadelphia, finishing 34-39-9 and missing the playoffs for the first time since the 2009-10 season.

New York also finished last in the Metropolitan Division with 77 points.

The Rangers declared in a letter to fans before the NHL trade deadline that they were "reshaping" the team, which would an infusion of youth and would include some trades involving veteran players. They dealt captain Ryan McDonagh and forward J.T. Miller to the Tampa Bay Lightning, and forward Rick Nash to the Boston Bruins.

GM Jeff Gorton told ESPN in March that it was less a "reshape" than a "rebuild" for New York. "When you make a statement like everyone is available, you're seeing what you can get for players and how that fits in to what you're doing when you're rebuilding," he said.

I'm not a big Vigneault fan, but if they're blaming him for the crap team they put together, that's really not fair.   I mean, that's the business, but you put crap on the ice you can't expect the coach to make prime rib.

It probably didn't help Vigneault that he took no culpability for the Rangers' struggles this year in his post-game presser.   He kind of threw the team composition under the bus.  He wasn't wrong, but if the GM is staying it's probably not the best way to go about an extension.

I suspect he will get another gig in short order.  From what I have read/heard, he is not a coach for a rebuild.  

The Rags are taking their walk in the desert, by design.  In the New NHL, they could be an elite team in 3 years given picks and parity;

• 6 months later...
9 hours ago, Howie58 said:

AV seems to have a good regular season record but playoffs may be a different story.

Yeah... just like Hakstol. Although Dave hasn't won a single series yet.

I don't think there are many SC coaches available.

Archived