2018 Minnesota Wild Draft Discussion .......

pilldoc

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

Crease and Assist has done an excellent job tracking movement of the 2018 NHL Entry Draft Class...

Crease and Assist Central Scouting Movement Tracker 

Thanks!  I try to help where I can.  I am working on the first of four draft-focused articles.  I will profile 5 players in each of them.  I am about 3/4ths done with my first article and I will post it here.  I'll leave you in suspense as to what players I will be talking about.  

1 hour ago, CreaseAndAssist said:
2 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

Crease and Assist has done an excellent job tracking movement of the 2018 NHL Entry Draft Class...

Crease and Assist Central Scouting Movement Tracker 

Thanks!  I try to help where I can.  I am working on the first of four draft-focused articles.  I will profile 5 players in each of them.  I am about 3/4ths done with my first article and I will post it here.  I'll leave you in suspense as to what players I will be talking about. 

Great Job @CreaseAndAssist ! :thumbsu:

You shared that link before and I see you did a lot of work.  Permission to share that link in the Flyers 2018 Draft thread?  I'm sure many would enjoy your work.   I hope you join us in our annual HF.net NHL Mock Draft.  If interested, please sign up via the other thread.  Your insight to the Wild's 1st round pick would be extremely valuable.

45 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Great Job @CreaseAndAssist ! :thumbsu:

You shared that link before and I see you did a lot of work.  Permission to share that link in the Flyers 2018 Draft thread?  I'm sure many would enjoy your work.   I hope you join us in our annual HF.net NHL Mock Draft.  If interested, please sign up via the other thread.  Your insight to the Wild's 1st round pick would be extremely valuable.

Feel free to share...

4 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

2018 MInnesota WIld Draft Preview: Defenseman

Some thoughts on the defenseman available in this season's draft.  Part 1 of 4, enjoy and discuss.  

I would love to see the Wild develop a big, punishing defense, but it appears they are intent on having a tinkerbell defense after being last in the league in hits thrown for three out of the last five years...

3 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

I would love to see the Wild develop a big, punishing defense, but it appears they are intent on having a tinkerbell defense after being last in the league in hits thrown for three out of the last five years...

I would agree, we've valued puck moving over playing strong game in their own zone.  Hopefully Fenton can change that; if anything he has good eye for talent and the Predators were a factory at drafting and developing quality defenseman.  Not all of the Predators defenseman have been timid, puck moving defensemen.  

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 5:45 PM, IllaZilla said:

Have to agree on this. NHL isn't Olympics or European hockey. NHL is big guys that move fast in a smaller rink. Fletcher built the team on it playing a Olympic style game which doesn't work. We have to get bigger. It's sad to see a player like Spurgeon in a small body cause the guy will play like he is 6'6. We can't be small and fast cause too many teams are big and just as fast if not faster.

1 hour ago, EJ0226 said:

Have to agree on this. NHL isn't Olympics or European hockey. NHL is big guys that move fast in a smaller rink. Fletcher built the team on it playing a Olympic style game which doesn't work. We have to get bigger. It's sad to see a player like Spurgeon in a small body cause the guy will play like he is 6'6. We can't be small and fast cause too many teams are big and just as fast if not faster.

Its ok to have one or two puck moving finesse guys...but you need some guys that can separate a guy from the puck using the body consistently.  Especially in the playoffs where the physical battles intensify.  This team has overvalued puck movers.  Possession is important but if you can't get possession because you're too weak and small to battle for it...you got a problem!

5 minutes ago, Tomdog said:

I'm not sure I would prioritize defense as our biggest need.

I would be going after speedy talented forwards that can find the back of the net.

I've been asking for that for years.  But the log jam up front is what it is; used up by highly paid guys already.  Defense is where it needs to be rebuilt the most IMO.  Barring they trade #22, #16, #3 or #64...there is a lot of space clogged up by the 30+ crowd in the Top 6.  

Do you think any player drafted this year would make the team 3 years from now?

With the lack of early picks I don't expect to see any of this year's picks for 3 years.

2018 Wild Draft Preview: Forwards

Here is my preview of 5 forwards who I think would be a great fit for the Minnesota Wild.  At least one of them should be available when the Wild make their 1st round pick.  No one can accuse me of being anti-Euro with this group!  Check it out!  

@CreaseAndAssist  Nice I like either of the two Russians the most but not sure if either of those two guys will be available by the time we pick. Also even if they were, with the scouts we currently have I bet they'd pick Ryan Mcleod or someone else who is similar to say Koivu just in this case with say Mcleod he looks to be a better version of Koivu.

1 hour ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

2018 Wild Draft Preview: Forwards

Here is my preview of 5 forwards who I think would be a great fit for the Minnesota Wild.  At least one of them should be available when the Wild make their 1st round pick.  No one can accuse me of being anti-Euro with this group!  Check it out!  

My money is on Kaut. Seems to be the perfect Minnesota player. Not really great at anything, but not terrible either. A "nice" player... 

8 hours ago, bbgarnett said:

@CreaseAndAssist  Nice I like either of the two Russians the most but not sure if either of those two guys will be available by the time we pick. Also even if they were, with the scouts we currently have I bet they'd pick Ryan Mcleod or someone else who is similar to say Koivu just in this case with say Mcleod he looks to be a better version of Koivu.

I think Kravtsov could be available when we pick.  ISS has us picking K'Andre Miller...I wonder who else suggested that?  Hmm...;)  

7 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

My money is on Kaut. Seems to be the perfect Minnesota player. Not really great at anything, but not terrible either. A "nice" player... 

He seems to be a 'safe' player to pick.  We've often opted for 'safe'.  The Hockey News compared Kaut's game to Reilly Smith.  

5 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

I think Kravtsov could be available when we pick.  ISS has us picking K'Andre Miller...I wonder who else suggested that?  Hmm...;)  

I'd be happy with Miller...need a few more of these guys that make it miserable for opposing teams to get across the blue line. 

8 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

I'd be happy with Miller...need a few more of these guys that make it miserable for opposing teams to get across the blue line. 

Miller is my top choice.  If I was GM, I'd arrange my board in 2 columns between defense and forwards.  Rule of thumb states you never draft a goaltender in the 1st round, so I'd have it up but my main focus would be on the skaters.  

I think Miller is a great fit for the Wild.  The Hockey News thinks he compares well to Seth Jones while ISS thinks he's more of an ideal 3rd pairing defenseman.  He was pretty solid at the NHL Combine this weekend too.  

1st in both left & right hand grip strength,

6th in wing span

4th in vertical jump

5th in standing long jump

Not too shabby.  And no, I don't really care that he's "one of us."

5 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

2018 Wild Draft Preview: Goaltenders

Here is part 3 of my 4-part series of draft focused articles, this time looking at the goalies that are available.  Not the deepest pool for goalies this season.  Check it out.  

Be nice if they could grab that Skarek kid. But they draft so late in the round, not sure if they could grab him in the second or third round... 

17 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

Be nice if they could grab that Skarek kid. But they draft so late in the round, not sure if they could grab him in the second or third round... 

I'd be surprised if any of these goalies are taken in the 1st round.  I think most will be 2nd and 3rd round picks.  

Archived