Islanders are Instantly Tougher Opponent

Howie58

6 minutes ago, King Knut said:

This thread's existence cracks me the hell up.  Is there even going to be an Islanders by the time they might be good again?

They are trying to tank to get the #1 next year and that's all there is to it.  Then they can screw up his contracts and roster mates for 5 years until he goes UFA to Toronto too.

I have friends who are Islanders fans and if it wasn't for 1980, I'd feel bad for them.

They are tanking for Jack Hughes.....they need a JT replacement to waste away again on the Isle...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

They are tanking for Jack Hughes.....they need a JT replacement to waste away again on the Isle...

It's The Senators and the Islanders in a dead heat.  But don't count out those atrocious Sabres!  THey're always in the thick of things crapper wise.  

39 minutes ago, King Knut said:

It's The Senators and the Islanders in a dead heat.  But don't count out those atrocious Sabres!  THey're always in the thick of things crapper wise.  

I'm sure the Avs would like that since they have the Senators 1st pick in the draft next year.

I figured it would be the Isles and Canadians.

Montreal is getting on board with the Pens tanking program it looks like.

13 hours ago, King Knut said:

Don't forget Montreal and Vancouver. It's going to be an entertaining race to the bottom to be sure.

Montréal can never afford to go in "tanking*" mode or at least say out loud that they are in reconstruction. The fans, city and ownership will never swallow that with the risk that the whole city will burn.

Next season they have to make the playoffs (but they won't). It's the only condition that would prevent the franchise to make a huge clean up by firing Bergevin, his associates and scouting/development staff.

* Tanking makes no more sense right now with the lottery. If a team chooses to go this way, the're just huge numbnutzes.

17 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I'm sure the Avs would like that since they have the Senators 1st pick in the draft next year.

I figured it would be the Isles and Canadians.

Montreal is getting on board with the Pens tanking program it looks like.

I didn't remember that was part of the Duchene deal.  Actually, now that I'm really paying attention, it's worse than it seems!  Ottawa had the chance to defer and give Colorado their pick this year and THEN TANK, but even though they knew they'd be utterly terrible this coming season and Jack Hughs was coming, they chose Tkachuk and are giving the Avalanche (a playoff team) a probably top 3 pick next year!  OH MY GOD Dorian is the biggest moron ever.  EVER!    FOR MATT DUCHENE?    An overrated player whose team got better without him and is turning UFA next year anyway?  Good lord someone please put that team out of its misery!

Montreal is a good point.  For some reason I completely forget about them anymore. Mostly because they're almost as poorly run as Ottawa.   With Weber out for half the season, they have a good shot at tanking without even trying.  Maxy Pac will be a nice deadline move for them and the sooner they move him the worse they'll faire.  I'd considered him a good add for the Flyers last year, but with his UFA pending and the addition of JVR, he'll likely be too expensive to make himself worth it.  I'd just as soon try to resign Simmonds on a sweetheart "hey you were hurt all year" deal now and hope he bounces back for a few years.  

If the Habs can out-crap the Islanders and Canucks and manage to win the lottery to pull in Hughs, they're possibly the most likely to turn it around quickly with the pieces they have.  They might get 2 or 3 decent years out of Weber and Price with Hughs on the team at the same time before they fall completely off the age cliff.  I almost feel bad for Carey Price, but he's literally getting 10.5 million for the next 8 years, so he'll be fine.  Weber I feel a bit worse for. Jesus, Bergevin really wants to give Dorian a run for his money as the worst GM doesn't he?  At least Homer made some great moves early on in his tenure.  These two are just amazingly ugly at their jobs.  

3 hours ago, Villette/Lavaux said:

* Tanking makes no more sense right now with the lottery. If a team chooses to go this way, the're just huge numbnutzes.

In the case of the Canadiens, I'm not sure it'll be a choice.  I just can't see how they'll compete. 

I agree about tanking though.  The only way it actually makes any real sense is if you pull a Penguins and do it 5 or 6 years in a row (though technically they were gifted the Crosby pick without actually getting the chance to suck that year, so they had some huge help).

Losing with the intention of getting a really great #1 overall is a gamble you can't count on.  But getting 5 or 6 top 5 picks is probably going to yield some good results... unless you're the Oilers.

This thread is making me feel a LOT better about the last 5 years of Flyers hockey.  When you look at how bad the Penguins had to be for as long as they had to be that bad and how much help they had to get (because Philadelphia is never going to get that kind of help from the league) and how bad Montreal, Ottawa, Edmonton and Vancouver all look in recent history and right now, the past 5 years have actually been a resounding success story.  

Of course success stories are better when they end with 5 cups in 8 years, so let's keep pushing, eh Ron?

4 hours ago, Villette/Lavaux said:

Montréal can never afford to go in "tanking*" mode or at least say out loud that they are in reconstruction. The fans, city and ownership will never swallow that with the risk that the whole city will burn.

Next season they have to make the playoffs (but they won't). It's the only condition that would prevent the franchise to make a huge clean up by firing Bergevin, his associates and scouting/development staff.

To be clear, I don't believe the Canadiens are actively tanking. I just think their management team is incompetent, and the result will be a bottom of the standings finish again.

4 hours ago, King Knut said:

If the Habs can out-crap the Islanders and Canucks and manage to win the lottery to pull in Hughs

And you know the Canucks would love to have him they just drafted his brother in the 1st round....and they need the brothers to replace the brothers who just retired...

Archived