Mark Stone

Math

According to the local press, Mark Stone is asking $9M for a 1-yr contract while the Senators put a counter-offer to $5M. That makes a $4M difference, which his huge... I'm pretty sure that they will go to arbitration, the money will be split in half, then the one who was supposed to be the symbol of the franchise and actively participate to the reconstruction will surely go away as an UFA after next season. What a disaster.

With Karlsson on the departure, Stone as well, and all the stories so far, this organisation is going from bad to worse. How it is possible to create such a mess, only less than 2 years of being close to reach the SC final ?

Stone has agreed on $7.35m, a one year contract. He really has his eyes on being a UFA next year.

Arbitration awarded Ceci $4.3m, which is a little high IM0.

Fun fact: Ottawa has 3 players contracted past 19-20.

Ryan

Gaborik

Smith

So their 19-20 cap hit is currently 17.1 M

1 hour ago, Puck_Pun said:

Oh the main reason I'm still paying attention is because I've never seen a franchise burned to the ground for the insurance money in real time before

I actually feel badly for Ottawa fans because it was a fun team to watch. 

3 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I actually feel badly for Ottawa fans because it was a fun team to watch. 

Ottawa (well, every team really) can be really great if it had a better management team behind it. Melnyk seems to be under the impression that he can do what Toronto used to do,  to create a team that's as profitable as possible at the expense of the on-ice performance. But, well, Ottawa isn't Toronto, the population is much smaller and there are few businesses bulk buying tickets so financial success isn't as guaranteed, especially if the on-ice product is substandard. It betrays a lack of both long term thinking and a lack of understanding as to what makes a sports business appealing to consumers.

Ottawa has the potential to pick up the pieces and build a competitive team in a few years, but it's doubtful if it will be utilised. Some fans are still thinking Alfie will buy the team out but frankly as it stands currently that is at best wishful thinking and at worst self delusion.

1023472.jpg

So this is it. Stone and the Sens avoided arbitration, but the outcome is more or less the same as if they were going through.

One year contract, and then Stone will walk away as a UFA with nothing in return for Ottawa. On the other side, Stone has to perform well if he wants to see his value stay at the same level.

Then Karlsson will be gone too, like Duchene; Turris is already gone, Brassard too.

I still don't believe what is going on there...

Archived