Minnesota Wild @ Vancouver Canucks, Monday 10-29-18, 9:00pm, Rogers Arena

CreaseAndAssist

Dumba back to his usual self. Nino not.

Although he scored I hate to see Suter throw that weak wrister towards the net. You need a miracle or a perfect screen to get that puck in. Dumba's effort to hammer the puck through the opponent a few feet away wasn't any better and we paid for it.

I guess good for Greenway to get his first, not that it made any difference.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Megawild said:

It's a professional MN team, it's best to have the excuse ready-made.  😁

Much like the interview with Greenway when Gorg asked him what he liked about playing with the (NHL) team.

Greenway noted how they play a full 60 minutes. Kind of an interesting take considering everyone and their mother is complaining about the Wild playing really lax in the 1st period of the last how many games? 

It gives me a good feeling knowing here on this board and on the Wild's old board we were the first to point out the Wild don't play a full 60 minutes. No one else was saying that so how (why) did players start bringing it up? Guess they read the board(s).

I hate staying up late to watch a loss like that. I had to bite my lip so I didn't wake people up at the beginning

of the second period. It was bad enough that they didn't call a penalty shot, but no penalty at all? WTF

I just cringe every time Suter scores a goal. Now the Wild are convinced he's a scoring machine and

we get to see him and Koivu out there whenever we need a goal badly.

This team could be so much better if they could get 60 minutes out of them.

3 minutes ago, Pegger said:

I hate staying up late to watch a loss like that. I had to bite my lip so I didn't wake people up at the beginning

of the second period. It was bad enough that they didn't call a penalty shot, but no penalty at all? WTF

I just cringe every time Suter scores a goal. Now the Wild are convinced he's a scoring machine and

we get to see him and Koivu out there whenever we need a goal badly.

This team could be so much better if they could get 60 minutes out of them.

Suter isn't the issue on the power play right now.  IMO, their penchant for trying to force the Dumba one-timer is the problem.  It doesn't really surprise anyone.  Someone else on the power play needs to step up and be a shooting threat; to force clubs to pick their poison between them and Dumba.  I don't understand why we keep sending Nino out there when he seems to have forgotten what it means to be an NHL player when we have a classic net-front presence in Greenway on the bench.  You want to make Dumba's shot a bit tougher to handle?  Put a 6'6" body in front of the goalie screening for him.  Sure, its not a super fun gig for Greenway, but we do nothing at all to make it tough for opposing goaltenders to see the puck.  

Staal, Zucker, Coyle were total passengers last night.  IMO, I'd rather see Read get power play time because he is at least showing enough speed to win races to loose pucks.  The other guys I mentioned look like they're on vacation.  

47 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Suter isn't the issue on the power play right now.  IMO, their penchant for trying to force the Dumba one-timer is the problem.  It doesn't really surprise anyone.  Someone else on the power play needs to step up and be a shooting threat; to force clubs to pick their poison between them and Dumba.  I don't understand why we keep sending Nino out there when he seems to have forgotten what it means to be an NHL player when we have a classic net-front presence in Greenway on the bench.  You want to make Dumba's shot a bit tougher to handle?  Put a 6'6" body in front of the goalie screening for him.  Sure, its not a super fun gig for Greenway, but we do nothing at all to make it tough for opposing goaltenders to see the puck.  

Staal, Zucker, Coyle were total passengers last night.  IMO, I'd rather see Read get power play time because he is at least showing enough speed to win races to loose pucks.  The other guys I mentioned look like they're on vacation.  

I totally agree on the force feeding Dumba problem. At the last home game that was their plan and they made it easy for

Colorado. I don't envy those guys blocking his shot, but very few got through to the goalie and they weren't the type of shot

that could be tipped easily. The fans seemed to love that strategy though.

1 hour ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Not his fault for the PP but it is interesting that Suter goes out in so many scoring opportunities/must score times when we have at least 2 other defensemen that score more goals then him each year. I do hate the force feed to blue line on the PP. Teams know where the shot is coming from and are able to set up for it.

Nino..... Somebody must have told him that he will take Koivu spot when Koivu retires only if Nino plays exactly like him. Avoid going to the net. Avoid any contact. Get rid of the puck any chance you have. I honestly don't know if a trade for him would net you anything of worth. I don't get it. It would be one thing if he is trying and just not getting any luck but he is just completely not playing and doing what makes him a good player.

1 hour ago, Pegger said:

I totally agree on the force feeding Dumba problem. At the last home game that was their plan and they made it easy for

Colorado. I don't envy those guys blocking his shot, but very few got through to the goalie and they weren't the type of shot

that could be tipped easily. The fans seemed to love that strategy though.

Glad I'm not the only one seeing that. Dumba has admitted to not aiming and just blast away yet the try to set him up like the Caps and Ovechkin.🤔 There's plenty of other players who can get it on goal, Create a rebound and a little chaos instead of off the glass and out of zone.

2 hours ago, ClusterChuck said:

Glad I'm not the only one seeing that. Dumba has admitted to not aiming and just blast away yet the try to set him up like the Caps and Ovechkin.🤔 There's plenty of other players who can get it on goal, Create a rebound and a little chaos instead of off the glass and out of zone.

...or instead of hitting the closest player and letting Pettersson score on a breakaway.  Might be the first time any Wild player has admitted of not aiming(?) yet we've had guys in the past á la Foster/Pominville who were wide of the mark constantly. But not to aim...? :bonkingheadonwall:

3 hours ago, ClusterChuck said:

I think part of the issue is they put him in a fixed location ala Ovechkin.  Have him move around.  Allow him to tight rope a bit or set him up for that blast from different areas and I'm going to guess it will be tougher to block that shot than simply anchoring him to one part of the ice.  

Not that I really want to trumpet Suter, but his goal happened in part because he sent a wrist shot with traffic in front.  IMO, its a throwaway play if he doesn't have a screen most of the time.  Or there is no other shooter on the power play; forcing the team to at least respect it and not being able to rush over to block Dumba's blast.  

Nino...his trade value has to be close to garbage right now.  IMO, its a waste of time giving him power play minutes.  Give those to Read or Greenway and move on.  

Archived