Game 25: Flyers at Penguins 12/01/18 at 7:00 pm

OccamsRazor

17 minutes ago, hf101 said:

Nope, not at all.  I believe a lot of the problems with the coaching staff on this team had to do with Murphy reporting to Hextall and not Hakstol, making for a disconnected coaching staff.  The results we saw on the ice.

And Lappy needs to be shown the door come the offseason at least if not before.

10 hours ago, hf101 said:

It happened that way last year.  As I mentioned in chat last night the key for beating the penguins is to Malkin off his game.  Once he's lost his focus the team usually falters.

Should that happen someone has to pick up the slack. It seemed Letang also played poorly.

23 hours ago, hf101 said:

Nope, not at all.  I believe a lot of the problems with the coaching staff on this team had to do with Murphy reporting to Hextall and not Hakstol, making for a disconnected coaching staff.  The results we saw on the ice.

More and more articles coming out that make it sound that way.  Anthony SanFillipo had a pretty damning blog about Hextall's tenure the other day.  It may have been posted in another thread, but if not, here's the link: https://www.crossingbroad.com/author/anthony-sanfilippo

Maybe Hextall was the problem all along?

By the way, that was probably the team's best game all season.  Hope it continues.  Stolarz looked pretty good to me.

23 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

And Lappy needs to be shown the door come the offseason at least if not before.

Not so sure, yet.  If Hextall was as controlling as they say, maybe the PK reflects how he wanted it played and who he wanted on it.  I don't know.  It's the only logical answer to the question of why he wasn't fired sooner.  Or maybe Hextall knew he didn't give Lappy the right players and didn't want to scapegoat him.  There has to be more for to the story in order for him to have kept his job for this long.  

I'm kind of shocked Knoblauch is still here.  He was a Hextall hire as well, iirc.

6 minutes ago, vis said:

Not so sure, yet.  If Hextall was as controlling as they say, maybe the PK reflects how he wanted it played and who he wanted on it.  I don't know.  It's the only logical answer to the question of why he wasn't fired sooner.  Or maybe Hextall knew he didn't give Lappy the right players and didn't want to scapegoat him.  There has to be more for to the story in order for him to have kept his job for this long.  

I'm kind of shocked Knoblauch is still here.  He was a Hextall hire as well, iirc.

I guess it would be fine to give them the rest of the year to fix it.

And as far as Knobby goes in Murphy's case he supposedly was the "spy" and it caused tension amongst the defense which I guess I could buy.

So maybe they give him the benefit of the doubt he wasn't a Hextall co hort like Murphy and Pryor...I'm guessing.

The GM hopefully can sort this mess out.

Whomever and whenever that happens.

24 minutes ago, vis said:

WOW, thanks for the link.  That provided closure for me on the Hextall era.  The puzzle is complete.    I always felt the team played it's best when the fans got on Hakstols case with the "Fire Hakstol" chants as I don't believe the players want a different coach any time soon.  

23 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I guess it would be fine to give them the rest of the year to fix it.

And as far as Knobby goes in Murphy's case he supposedly was the "spy" and it caused tension amongst the defense which I guess I could buy.

So maybe they give him the benefit of the doubt he wasn't a Hextall co hort like Murphy and Pryor...I'm guessing.

The GM hopefully can sort this mess out.

Whomever and whenever that happens.

Well whatever happens, I hope Ghost and Provorov get their act together. It's hard to imagine this team being consistently successful without those two guys being a steadying force on the blueline.

39 minutes ago, vis said:

More and more articles coming out that make it sound that way.  Anthony SanFillipo had a pretty damning blog about Hextall's tenure the other day.  It may have been posted in another thread, but if not, here's the link: https://www.crossingbroad.com/author/anthony-sanfilippo

Maybe Hextall was the problem all along?

By the way, that was probably the team's best game all season.  Hope it continues.  Stolarz looked pretty good to me.

I just read that and posted in the other topic, and yeah it's all making complete sense.  Thanks again for that link.

28 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

For sure.  Seems odd that Hextall would hire him, but Knoblauch not be some sort of mole.  Maybe he and Hakstol developed some sort of kinship that counteracted any relationship Hextall wanted he to have with Knoblauch.  Always thought it was odd that Hakstol never hired his own assistants.  

1 hour ago, vis said:

For sure.  Seems odd that Hextall would hire him, but Knoblauch not be some sort of mole.  Maybe he and Hakstol developed some sort of kinship that counteracted any relationship Hextall wanted he to have with Knoblauch.  Always thought it was odd that Hakstol never hired his own assistants.  

Yeah but Knoblach and Hextall don't go way back like those two when they were teammates for 4 years either.

Remember Ron doesn't trust many people.

18 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah but Knoblach and Hextall don't go way back like those two when they were teammates for 4 years either.

Remember Ron doesn't trust many people.

Fair point.

Archived