What TO could use for now and playoffs.

hobie

I'm thinking TO is all in for the Cup this year as they should be.

What else could they use?

The lines that we're seeing now are:

Marleau/Matthews/Kapanen-give Marleau lots of rest and this line might work, Johnsson could be used to spell him

Hy/Tavares/Marner-never that happy with Hy in the top 6 but so long as Marner and JT can continue to score this line is a credible #1 that acts as a very good shutdown line.

Brown/Kadri/Nylander-Kadri's lines this year hasn't looked good but with Nylander it's looking like a potentially productive, maybe dominant, 3rd line 

Johnsson/Goat/Lindholm-this line is still a mess but Ennis is getting healthy and Moore is in the wings

How about bringing back Brian Boyle and adding some muscle like Pat Maroon. Cost is the only issue but a line like 

Johnsson/Boyle/Maroon

might be a pretty good 3rd line on most teams. 

I got busy, couldn't finish my post.

Boyle would be better than any 4th line center option TO currently has and Maroon would give TO the muscle with some ability TO is certainly missing. 

Muzzin cost a 1st and 2 pretty decent prospects, what would Boyle/Maroon cost?

I think TO can fill out the line up with what's already available and with a different couch that would seem likely.

Marleau/Matthews/Kapanen- no changes needed here

Johnsson/Tavares/Marner-an even better offensive line and tho Johnsson isn't big he plays heavy

Moore/Kadri/Nylander-I think Moore is a better player than Brown but at the least it would be a lateral

Brown/Hy/Ennis-little bit of jam, speed and even talent, not many teams would be able to match this line and all of these players have enough talent to fill in on other lines, in the event of injury

TO still has Bracco in the A, who's been burning that league up recently..

I think TO is set at forward. 

The D

Muzzin/Rielly-possibly TO's best top duo in a long time

Gardiner/Zats--Zaits has been showing signs of life lately, it's a decent 2nd pairing

Dermott/Hainsey-Dermott and OZ have struggled, Dermott is the only negative d-man on TO who regularly plays but Hainsey will be a massive upgrade and probably a proper tutor.

I think TO has the players to do well but again I question how Babs will play them and with who.

The D I'd like to see:

Gardiner/Rielly- superior d-men who can and probably would thrive together and with more icetime, I'm thinking 25 minutes a night, depending on circumstances against the opposition's best

Muzzin/Zaits-20 plus minutes a night against lesser competition than the Gard/Rielly combo, 

Dermott/Hainsey- should be fine with about 15 min. a night and Hainsey might be more rested for the playoffs.

TO would then have Oz, Holl, Marincin for depth.

I think TO is ready so let's get 'er done. 

On 2/5/2019 at 12:49 PM, hobie said:

What else could they use?

Some size perhaps? A player who can throw their weight around when things get physical in the playoffs.  :)

I wouldn't mess around with too much. Don't want to wreck team chemistry.  

1 hour ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Some size perhaps? A player who can throw their weight around when things get physical in the playoffs.  :)

I wouldn't mess around with too much. Don't want to wreck team chemistry.  

Live by the sword, die by the sword is how I think adding a big physical forward might be a bad thing for TO.

TO's forwards and d isn't big and they also aren't really physical, even the bigger ones so adding physicality to the roster might be inviting retaliation towards TO's otherwise passive roster. Without a massive overhaul I can't see how 1 or 2 big physical players are going to be a plus.

3 hours ago, hobie said:

Live by the sword, die by the sword is how I think adding a big physical forward might be a bad thing for TO.

TO's forwards and d isn't big and they also aren't really physical, even the bigger ones so adding physicality to the roster might be inviting retaliation towards TO's otherwise passive roster. Without a massive overhaul I can't see how 1 or 2 big physical players are going to be a plus.

If you think the Bruins, for example, are going to sit idly waiting for the Leafs to throw the first body check and then retaliate, in the playoffs...well then it's been way too long since you watched the playoffs.

They aren't going to try run and gun with Toronto...they're going to try and beat them into submission.

Can you imagine Wayne Simmonds getting ahold of Marchand after he's french-kissed Mitch Marner?

TO should try to skate Boston or whoever into submission.

Right now TO has 2 yes 2 physical players, 1 might fight and the other will yap or bark. 

I don't know that much about Simmonds except that he's physical, does he fight anymore, would he feel it's his job to protect his team mates, I hope not I want him on the ice.

TO would have to make significant changes to the roster to go physical to physical, ain't going to happen.

If TO did trade for Simmonds I'd want him to hit occasionally, win corner battles, go to the front of the opposition's net, score, essentially be a physical hockey player not  be an enforcer.

I don't get the NHL, what Marchand did was unsportsmanlike conduct and he should have been penalized and maybe even suspended.   

44 minutes ago, hobie said:

TO should try to skate Boston or whoever into submission.

Right now TO has 2 yes 2 physical players, 1 might fight and the other will yap or bark. 

I don't know that much about Simmonds except that he's physical, does he fight anymore, would he feel it's his job to protect his team mates, I hope not I want him on the ice.

TO would have to make significant changes to the roster to go physical to physical, ain't going to happen.

If TO did trade for Simmonds I'd want him to hit occasionally, win corner battles, go to the front of the opposition's net, score, essentially be a physical hockey player not  be an enforcer.

I don't get the NHL, what Marchand did was unsportsmanlike conduct and he should have been penalized and maybe even suspended.   

Now this I can get behind. The Leafs don't need to change their roster...you're right, they should use their speed. And yes Simmonds is a good corner/net front presence. But he's also a deterrent to guys who try to intimidate his teammates. And he'll fight anyone.

Archived