2019 Traverse City Tournament, roster and tournament thoughts

CreaseAndAssist

Wild Announce Traverse City Tournament roster & schedule, tourney thoughts...

I give a quick overview of the tournament and have links to the other teams (other than Detroit which hasn't released a roster yet as far as I could find) rosters.  Not real hopeful for this group to win it all.  Enjoy and discuss...

17 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

Based on the Wild having one of the poorer farm systems/prospect pools in the league, I’m not holding out much hope for a trophy. 

To me, it’s more important for these guys getting the ice time and what they do with it. 

I think we'll be fortunate if they don't finish in last.  Yet you are right, its more about the experience than what place you are battling for at the end.  

17 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

I think we'll be fortunate if they don't finish in last.  Yet you are right, its more about the experience than what place you are battling for at the end.  

Just reading the Athletics description of the Wild prospect pipeline looks like a recipe for a hot dish at a local church potluck. A bunch of bland ingredients that have produced bland results. Uff da.

• Haha 1

I realize that it will be very difficult to get a cup from that tournament, but everything is possible in showing the best results for the team. It is an extremely important tournament of the show of who is who for our future NHL Wild core. Still,IMO, we have a chance to win it despite of the Athletics blandamet description, because for the first time we have plenty of promise among our young prospects. In general, all I want to see during the tournament(in 4 games for our team) - some decent production from our promising players - Sokolov, Dewar, Giroux, Lodnia (at least 2-3 goals from each player) and Sturm; Beckman; Guskov; Gordeev (at least 1 goal from each player). We will see who from our players will be the most lucky one in that prediction. 

10 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

I just don't see the firepower necessary to win this tournament.  And the defense is made up almost entirely of invitees.  

That's why I think it's more important to see what these guys do with the ice time they are given rather than the team record. Hopefully a few of these guys shine...

Fox Sport badly provided streaming(zero) for watching our  1st game of the tournament as for our fans as well as for the Dallas fans too. The game should be done already. Still do not know a final score. All I found that according to some tweets we were at score 1:2(12 vs 25 shots on goal)  against Dallas after the second intermission. Sturm was able to put one goal.

34 minutes ago, Alexandron said:

Fox Sport badly provided streaming(zero) for watching our  1st game of the tournament as for our fans as well as for the Dallas fans too. The game should be done already. Still do not know a final score. All I found that according to some tweets we were at score 1:2(12 vs 25 shots on goal)  against Dallas after the second intermission. Sturm was able to put one goal.

Looks like that ended up being the final DAL 2-1 MIN. 37-21 shots for DAL. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IllaZilla said:

Looks like that ended up being the final DAL 2-1 MIN. 37-21 shots for DAL. 

Thanks IllaZilla, Not a bad score by having practically all invitee defensemen for our team. Hope, tomorrow, we will be able to watch a tough game against Columbus at 5:30 p.m.. Today game between the predicted winner of this tournament New York Rangers and a previous multiple time winner Columbus Blue Jackets ended up with a score 2:6, which I was able to watch today.

17 minutes ago, Alexandron said:

Thanks IllaZilla, Not a bad score by having practically all invitee defensemen for our team. Hope, tomorrow, we will be able to watch a tough game against Columbus at 5:30 p.m.. Today game between the predicted winner of this tournament New York Rangers and a previous multiple time winner Columbus Blue Jackets ended up with a score 2:6, which I was able to watch today.

I was following a Dallas message board, so take this with a grain of salt, but it sounded like the score could have been 4 or 5 to 1. Sounds like the Wild were turning it over left and right and for an extended period of time couldn’t get out of their own end. Again, this was from a Dallas message board, so there may have been a bit of embellishment. 

As I predicted we are playing at this moment against a very tough team - multiple winner of this cup Columbus team. Score is 0:2 after the 1st period. Baribeau is in the net tonight. One of the goals into our net put Egor Sokolov (he is not a relative of our Dmitriy Sokolov). Practically is complete domination of the Columbus team during the first period. But believe it or not shots on goal for both teams are not too high - 2 shots for our team and 9 shots for the Columbus during that period.And it was 3 penalties for our team and 0 for Columbus so far.

Edited by Alexandron

Tonight we had a much better game than yesterday but still we lost. Final score was 2:3 in OT. Total shots on goal 30 for us vs 29 shots for Blue Jackets. Columbus is so far unbeatable team for 6 games in a row ( having 4 winning games last year and 2 games this year).  We had a 3rd place last year, and, this year I am not sure if we will be able to get a 6th place. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

Thanks for keeping us uptodate. Too bad, that it doesn't sound too promising. I was hoping for Sokolov to score some.

Thanks Lynxrattle. I am not as good as LIG in a game review, but I tried.🙂

Hockey is an art. Unfortunately, it is not happened a lot for our team in a last 2 games. Maybe we will see more art during the next two games. Not only Sokolov, as well as Sturm, Giroux, Bitten, Guskov and Beckman all had some nice efforts in scoring , but you are right, we were expected a much higher production out of them. I even do not know which one was the best, because they all were noticeable for me. According to commentators also Sokolov lost some front teeth during the first game and now is using a mouth guard. In general, or an opposite teams were too good against us or we made less efforts as a team on winning these games, but unfortunately, we lost them both.Probably, both reasons are right. It seemed in those previous 2 games our goalies were not an issue. Robson stopped 33 out of 35 shots in a 1st game, as well as Baribeau stopped 26 out of 29 shots including OT period during a 2nd game. Actually as a team we played defensively not bad too by losing only 2 goals in regulation in both games. Especially Sturm was pretty good when falling down in pushing pucks out of our zone. Actually he is more a defensively responsible/minded player, which I like that part out of him. Today is a short break in tournament, then we will able to see next games on Monday and Tuesday. Tomorrow, Jones is going to be in the net for our team.

Here is a link to the Wild Wire of that Tournament from an official Iowa Wild site:

https://www.iowawild.com/news/detail/the-wild-wire-2019-nhl-prospects-tournament-blog

On Monday we are going to play against NY Rangers at 1:30 p.m. That team won a game yesterday against a Dallas Stars with a score 7:4. Their forward Adam Fox recorded 5 points in that game. Their promising prospect Kaapo Kakko did not played in a previous 2 games. Maybe he will play tomorrow? 

And here is a link to read about our tomorrow opponent :

https://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2019/9/7/20854839/traverse-city-new-york-rangers-prospects-recap-adam-fox-registers-four-points-in-7-4-win-over-dallas

• Like 1

I think we had a decent good 1st period against NY Rangers. Score so far is 1:0 after the 1st intermission. Lodnia put a nice 5-O goal into the Rangers net. We had 12 shots towards the Shesterkin's net and Rangers put 9 shots towards Jones net during  the 1st period. Especially would like to mention a trio Beckman-Guskov-Topping. A pretty smart play between Guskov and Beckman. Sturm and Will Bitten having the day off.

2:0 after the second intermission. Pillon put a 2nd goal. Sokolov had a couple chances and Gordeev had a nice bullet shot from the blue line towards the net, but Shesterkin was able to stop them . Boka and Sadek were noticeable by their strong physical play. So far, 15 shots for us and 11 shots Rangers were able to put towards our net. 

Sadly to say, but we lost this 3rd game too in OT with a score 3:4. Overall Rangers out shot us 30 vs 22 shots.  The 3 period started not the best for us and finished badly too. We had a major penalty of 5 minutes at the beginning when the Rangers were able to put 2 quick goals. Both goals put Kravtsov from Kakko who had 2 primary assists.They had each 4 points in that game. Then  our Guskov put ahead goal(Beckman assisted to it). At the end of the 3rd period Rangers pulled a goalie and were able to equalize the score. But the most beauty unassisted  goal put  Kakko into our net in OT - he circled a couple times big circles around our net and all players around it and then able to squeeze the puck between the Jones and the post . Hope this goal we will be able to see some day on YouTube - just an amazing art from one player. Also would like to mention from our team Gordeev who had a couple solid slap shots from the blue line towards the Rangers net during a 3rd period. 

Not much I would like to say about a tomorrow game - 7th or 8th place is not really matter for us as our achievement. As always say for years - I wish to see a much better production from our team at any their levels( from the prospects NHL team at Traverse City Tournament, Iowa Wild team all the way up to the big Wild club). They all have a deficit of a real solid consistent scoring.

I watched all of the Wild's game against Columbus yesterday afternoon.  The Wild started off real slow and the Blue Jackets youngsters were a step or two ahead of the Wild the whole 1st period.  Columbus peppered Baribeau with shots but he was pretty solid.  Minnesota had maybe 3 or 4 shots the whole period and nothing that was remotely threatening.  The superior speed of Columbus drew a 3 penalties in quick succession against the Wild.  Minnesota's penalty kill was pretty good though.  Still 1-0 Columbus, on a shot by Egor Sokolov (no relation to our Sokolov).  In the 2nd period, Minnesota had much better pace.  Will Bitten was really flying around and making things happen.  The Wild were finishing their checks more and were able to create some turnovers and catch Columbus in transition.  Connor Dewar got denied on a breakaway.  Will Bitten had another good solo rush too that was stopped.  Yet, Columbus would add to its lead as Baribeau got caught kind of dancing in his crease and was caught out of position making it 2-0 Blue Jackets.  The Wild kept working hard and Bitten would score on a breakaway in the closing minute of the period.  

I lived tweeted the game yesterday...I probably won't be able to do that tomorrow though.  You can stream them here...

https://www.foxsports.com/southwest/story/watch-dallas-stars-compete-in-traverse-city-prospect-tournament-sept-6-10-live-streams-090519

Anyways...the best line was Will Bitten, Dmitry Sokolov and Nico Sturm although Sturm seemed to be in a bit of a coast mode as I think he knows he probably earned a spot at Wild training camp and didn't want to risk getting banged up too much.  But he was strong on the puck, using his body to protect it and distribute it to teammates.  The Dewar, Guskov, Duhaime line wasn't too bad either.  In the 3rd period, Matej Guskov stole a puck in the neutral zone and quickly transitioned and then made a nice backhand pass to Duhaime for the game-tying goal.  In overtime, Minnesota actually controlled the puck most of the time and had a number of reasonable chances.  Unfortunately, as the game seemed to be destined for a shootout, with less than 30 seconds in OT, a broken play off a faceoff left Alexander Texier alone in the slot and he beat Baribeau to make it a 3-2 Columbus win.  

Other thoughts.  The college kids are fairly tough.  Duhaime dropped the gloves and beat the crap out of Columbus' Paquette...and Nick Boka pummeled Fortier pretty good.  It wasn't even close.  Invitees Drake and Darian Pilon bring a lot of energy and forechecking ability.  Damien Giroux wasn't bad either although I thought he spent too much time out at the point for a center.  Guskov got better as the game went on.  Its too bad Alex Khovanov missed this tournament, I think this group could use his skill and offensive instincts.  No Fedor Gordeev for this game which was a bit curious to me.  

The Good

Will Bitten

Dereck Baribeau

Brandon Duhaime

Connor Dewar

Dmitry Sokolov

Drake & Darian Pilon

Matej Guskov

The Bad

Shawn Boudrias - slow, seemed lost and missed from close range on a nearly open net late in the 2nd period.

The Ugly

Offense from the Blueline - beyond a few ok shots by Boka, the Wild defenseman didn't help the attack too much.

Adam Beckman's skating - the kid has skill, good offensive instincts and a decent release on his shot, but lead in his skates...he's not the slowest player but he needs to be faster

Watched 2/3rds of the game today against the Rangers, a 4-3 OT loss.  Nico Sturm did not play.  Hunter Jones was in goal.  

Ivan Lodnia scored the first goal, on a nice breakaway after he poke checked puck near the blueline.  Darian Pilon made it 2-0 on a puck he batted out of the air midway through the 2nd period.  Then his brother took a match penalty at the very end of the 2nd period.  Rangers would score twice on the power play in the 3rd.  Then Matej Guskov scored shortly after the Rangers power play was over to make it 3-2 Wild.  Unfortunately the Rangers would tie it up in the closing seconds of the 3rd and then Kaapo Kakko scored in OT.  

The Good

Adam Beckman

Connor Dewar

Ivan Lodnia

Nick Boka

Matej Guskov

The Bad

Drake Pilon

The Ugly

Wild Power Play

The Wild will be playing in the 7th Place game tomorrow at Noon.  

Actually Wild started to play at 11 a.m. for the 7th place against Chicago. After the 1st not good period for us  score so far is 0:3.  And in shots we are 5 vs 14. Baribeau is in the net for this game. Instead of him they should put Mat Robson, who actually stopped 35 shots out of 37 during the Wild 1st game of this tournament.

IllaZilla, try to use this Fox Sport link to watch for free 2 periods of the last game. Click on a link( 7th place game) at the right top corner:

https://www.foxsportsgo.com/event/645553/nhl-prospects-tournament-blues-vs-blackhawks