Finnish Media on the Wild

lynxrattle

3 hours ago, Alexandron said:

I hope not. He still can start a new 10 games winning streak this season as a rookie goalie. We still have 27 more games to play. I am sure, the coaching staff made some good conclusions to play the team better after these 2 embarrassing and not acceptable at all games for the NHL team. Every point is important in that short season.

I expect better too. They do need to try to solve the Avs problem, though. They are only getting better.

• 3 weeks later...

Technically not the Wild, but I link this anyways. North American university series are basically never noticed here in Finland, but when the Wild's prospect Filip Lindberg plays a shutout in the series finals, it's news.

https://yle.fi/urheilu/3-11878860

Basically the reporter has just borrowed US media, but I thought it might be a positive post. At least the winning team in that bus back home Twitter -clip is happy 😀

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

Technically not the Wild, but I link this anyways. North American university series are basically never noticed here in Finland, but when the Wild's prospect Filip Lindberg plays a shutout in the series finals, it's news.

https://yle.fi/urheilu/3-11878860

Basically the reporter has just borrowed US media, but I thought it might be a positive post. At least the winning team in that bus back home Twitter -clip is happy 😀

That was a superbly positive post regarding our prospect. Shutout in finals cost a lot. Thanks to LIG who brought my attention to this talent. And now Finnish media will be more attracted to the Wild team because of 2 talented prospects - Kahkonen and Lindberg. What I like of Kaapo that he is always honest about his play. He said about last his game that it was embarrassing for him. But Dubnyk never said this, but always blamed to other players. I really believe that Kahkonen will improve his play. To do that he needs to play more often. Experience always come through the play, but not through the bench.

I think so too. Kähkönen should be playing more. The Wild is not going far in the playoffs so why not play him this season. If not, let him play in Iowa. And yes it's good that he doesn't blame the team - even if the defense too was horrible that game.

• 8 months later...

The Wild has gained some respect and noticeablity in the media recently. Here's a big story that was published in Finland:

https://yle.fi/urheilu/3-12228455

Kahkonen interviewed. In condensation: 4 lines+6 defensemen rolling, scoring by committee, Ek-Foligno-Greenway a marvelous line, Kaprizov, Hartman's emergence, coach sharing responsibility to players, strong culture (and the inevitable and questionable Koivu link about him having been a major part in creating a workmanlike culture), weak PP playing possibly wrecking any potential playoffs success.

Nothing new really, but Kahkonen did praise "warriors" Kulikov and Merrill: good sticks, not a shot they will not try to block.

(Maybe the Wild can use the time missed due to Covid restrictions to practicing and inventing set PP plays. They really need a bag of tricks for that to work. Hartman has whiffed or missed shots recently, so we really need some new ideas there. Maybe they could plant Kaprizov to Gretzky's office. That was where he played PP for the Russian team in WJC 2016.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lynxrattle said:

The Wild has gained some respect and noticeablity in the media recently. Here's a big story that was published in Finland:

https://yle.fi/urheilu/3-12228455

Kahkonen interviewed. In condensation: 4 lines+6 defensemen rolling, scoring by committee, Ek-Foligno-Greenway a marvelous line, Kaprizov, Hartman's emergence, coach sharing responsibility to players, strong culture (and the inevitable and questionable Koivu link about him having been a major part in creating a workmanlike culture), weak PP playing possibly wrecking any potential playoffs success.

Nothing new really, but Kahkonen did praise "warriors" Kulikov and Merrill: good sticks, not a shot they will not try to block.

(Maybe the Wild can use the time missed due to Covid restrictions to practicing and inventing set PP plays. They really need a bag of tricks for that to work. Hartman has whiffed or missed shots recently, so we really need some new ideas there. Maybe they could plant Kaprizov to Gretzky's office. That was where he played PP for the Russian team in WJC 2016.)

Agree. They should practice on PP tomorrow and on Thursday before they will play against Buffalo. Still not sure regarding tomorrow practice because meteorologists predicting a pretty bad weather with high winds and rain, and at southern parts of Minnesota even tornado warning. 

Regarding our PP. Last 2 games against Kings and Knights showed our weakness in creativity. Not much was developed even when we played 5 on 3 few times during those games. We had seen practically passes without any intention to develop anything interesting like Gaudreau did non stop passing to Dumba and Dumba to him. And the other players were waiting and wasted PP time because of absence to get any pass from Dumba or Gaudreau. 

It's pretty hard to get creative while skating aroundin your designated area.

As I see it the Wild's powerplay is based on the lone defensman playing at the center of the blue line and occasionaly in a standard right left position with his forward defense partner.

No righty/lefty switching, no scissors cycle.

Forwards are positioned with EEk in front of the net.

Lately Fiala or Zuccerelo has been on the right, Kaprizov on the left, and Zuccerelo or Kaprizov as the other defensman.

Players seem to rotate slightly oly to return to their set postions.

From my observation it is really easy to defend a near stationary opponent.

Puck movement is irrelavent with a forward camped out in front of the net as the defensman can mostly ignore him.

This leaves the defenders in a 4 on 4 defense.

As the shot comes from the player who doesn't move much the defnse is in position.

• Like 1

One way of forcing the situation out of balance, and forcing everyone out of their positions and moving, is simple: shooting. No-one can predict a rebound for sure. I think only Kaprizov, Zuccarello and Fiala should have free reins. The others should either have a set play to strive for, or the order to shoot every time there is a chance to bypass the blocking opponents.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

One way of forcing the situation out of balance, and forcing everyone out of their positions and moving, is simple: shooting. No-one can predict a rebound for sure. I think only Kaprizov, Zuccarello and Fiala should have free reins. The others should either have a set play to strive for, or the order to shoot every time there is a chance to bypass the blocking opponents.

I'm not as high on Fiala as you so I would prefer to see Kaprizov and Zuccarello moving around looking for an open teammate to shoot.

• Like 1

I have an idea for Evason to look for the most successful NHL teams in PP  and then to watch all video of those PP to find out how those teams are placing PP goals. To find out which shots are more productive: lethal PP shots from certain positions; dirty goals; or specific combination in passing among the players which are difficult to control for defending team.

What I would love to know is what is the statistical power in scoring through hitting someone's skates. You sometimes see those goals, but you very seldom feel that that was what they deliberately tried to do, score with a shot at the skates. As a European, soccer being such a predominant sport here it kind of feels natural that the goals could come from skate deflections too. No kicking motions of course, because the rules don't allow that. But would a deliberate skate deflection shot be statiscally efficient? Is it just a fluke goal or would it be one useable tool?

The one thing I know that skate deflection goals are dirty goals, which I absolutely love. Those are the goals that are needed in the playoffs. Come to think of it, seeing the Wild players control a soccer ball in their pre-game routines, I'm sure the players have the physical skills to do pretty magical stuff. They need to have the assistance and clearance from the coaching staff to do the mentally magical, creative stuff come PP time.