This was the Leafs Roster the last time they played hockey beyond Round 1

WordsOfWisdom

27 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I don't recall anyone hating the fact we traded JVR away...the return was just lame

True, but in fairness, JVR's reputation for being indifferent to the game, playing without anything approximating emotion, did decrease his value.  So in a way he was exactly worth Luke Schenn.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AJgoal said:

Let's be fair, we're actually talking about losing Provorov, Niskanen, and Hagg - Ceci may log minutes, but he's not good by any standard. The difference for the Flyers is that they have guys who can fill in and play passably in the absence of some of those guys in Friedman and Ghost, depth that Toronto lacks.

Who is this depth and where can we sign him?  ;) 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, hobie said:

This Ceci perception is something that has been universally accepted but is based more on a guy who has played on bad teams rather than his lack of ability. TO used to have Polak, another universally panned d-man, TO doesn't resign him yet Dallas does and Dallas is still one of the best defensive teams. The only problem with Ceci is he's overpaid for what he can do.   

When Toronto got Ceci for Zaitsev I thought it was dumpster diving to pluck him off the Sens, but Ceci has been a much better defenceman than Zaitsev ever was. On paper, stat for stat, Ceci is still Toronto's best defensive defenceman, no matter what you look at.  :) 

Also, I liked Polak. Losing him was a mistake too, although I thought he suffered a career ending injury or something. 

2 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

When Toronto got Ceci for Zaitsev I thought it was dumpster diving to pluck him off the Sens, but Ceci has been a much better defenceman than Zaitsev ever was. On paper, stat for stat, Ceci is still Toronto's best defensive defenceman, no matter what you look at.  :) 

Also, I liked Polak. Losing him was a mistake too, although I thought he suffered a career ending injury or something. 

I liked Zaitsev's physicality, Zaitsev was paired with Muzzin to form TO's defensive duo so they did a lot of heavy lifting, Ceci either with Barrie or on the 3rd pairing plays more of a sheltered role with TO. I think the only reason Zaitsev was moved was because of money.

How long should we go thinking injuries are not an excuse, at some point it has to be.

Columbus the little team that could has 76 points in 65 games, they currently have 11 players injured and their record for the last 10 games is 1-4-5 so it's just not feasible to expect much from TO at this time. The Jekyll and Hyde act is good, TO is responding and against teams like Pitts. and TB, I think TO winning is above and beyond what we should expect.

4 hours ago, hobie said:

Ceci either with Barrie or on the 3rd pairing plays more of a sheltered role with TO.

I think Ceci had most of the defensive zone starts too and he logs the most minutes killing penalties. I wouldn't consider him to be sheltered. He seems to get the crap jobs if anything lol.   :) 

4 hours ago, hobie said:

How long should we go thinking injuries are not an excuse, at some point it has to be.

I agree. Injuries have now become a problem for Toronto. It's not a normal amount of injuries any more. 

4 hours ago, hobie said:

Columbus the little team that could has 76 points in 65 games, they currently have 11 players injured and their record for the last 10 games is 1-4-5 so it's just not feasible to expect much from TO at this time. The Jekyll and Hyde act is good, TO is responding and against teams like Pitts. and TB, I think TO winning is above and beyond what we should expect.

This is why winning games in October and November is so important. When the team is healthy, and the season has just begun, that's the best time to bank as many points as possible. Teams that squander away the first few months of the season dig themselves a hole that they can't climb out of.