Montreal trades for Jake Allen

yave1964

1272220099_JakeAllen.jpg.7d5e7fa3d7c6558f15ead97d6f2cb4b9.jpg

Montreal made an unusual deal today.

Jake Allen who had a very nice bounce back year for the Blues was traded to the Habs for a 3rd and 7th rounder. 

Okay, to be clear, 2018-19 the Habs missed the playoffs by a point and i wrote then and still believe with any type of mediocre backup goaltending they would have made the playoffs but Niemi screwed the pooch. Then this past year they rode Price too hard because Keith Kincaid, signed as a free agent bombed badly and Primeau/Lindgren in net were raw rookies. So to a certain extent trading for a veteran such as Allen to keep Price from having his tongue fall out makes sense. 

HOWEVER.

A couple of things with Allen, he makes 4.375 million per year which combined with Price means that in a flat salary cap year the Habswill be spending 13.5 million in net. Also, Allen WAS VERY good this year but that follows multiple years in which he wasnt.

For the Blues they now take the training wheels off Binnington but goalie is a deep and talented free agent class. And the money saved likely will be used to retain Pietrangelo. Oh, and the third round pick.

Clear winner St. Louis. Not even close. If Allen slips back to the Allen of a couple of years ago, it is ugly as can be. Even if he plays well, getting a goalie who will play 20-25 games a year who makes that kind of money and giving up a 3rd rounder is simply too high a price.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
Added purty photo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow .... I see your point @yave1964, however, Allen only has 1 more year left on his current contract.  (He is UFA for 21-22 season) The question remains, do the Habs resign him and if they do it could be for a lot less if he continues to back up Price.  However I do agree, if Allen goes back into his 2017-19 form it could get ugly.  Habs have to believe Allen >> Kinkaid.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Wow .... I see your point @yave1964, however, Allen only has 1 more year left on his current contract.  (He is UFA for 21-22 season) The question remains, do the Habs resign him and if they do it could be for a lot less if he continues to back up Price.  However I do agree, if Allen goes back into his 2017-19 form it could get ugly.  Habs have to believe Allen >> Kinkaid.

4.375 million for 20 starts and giving up a third-yikes. Agreed Montreal has had some of the worst backup tenders in thegame in recent years so i get it but their are so many UFA goalies this year, lots for half the money. I absolutely get it from the Blues standpoint, like i said Pietrangelo money fell into their lap and they got a third rounder as well, i get it from Montreal's as well but they could have signed a decent backup for half the money or allowed Primeau to get 20 starts. Just a curious add for a Montreal team that has done a good solid job of trading of late.

• Like 1

Other than the obvious salary cap spending in goal between the two netminders, I actually see this as a low risk/high reward scenario for Montreal.

Looking at capfriendly, the Habs still have about 4.5 available in cap space AFTER this trade was made and if they REALLY need more space (Max Domi will require a new contract...their biggest 'gotta get paid guy'), they have a number of moveable contracts on the foward ranks.

But Allen will only be a bother to the cap for the upcoming season. 
If he doesn't do what he was gotten for (spell Price with a reasonable chance of winning that night), Habs could always just wave bye at the end of his contract. Risk.
But he could also turn out to be pretty good for them, if unspectacular, and be much better than the carcasses they've had backing up Price before. Reward.

Montreal gave up NOTHING of consequence to acquire Allen.
Ok. 3rd round pick, and it was Washington's, not their own. They still have their own.
Along with an embarrassment of 2nd round and 4th round picks sandwiching their own 3rd.

So they are in good shape there.
Well, so long as their GM uses those properly that is.

St. Louis did well here too.
Binnington, for better or worse, IS their guy. They clearly lost confidence in Allen and moving out his contract and recuperating cap space while recovering picks is a nice bit of GM'ing.

I think its a win-win on both sides.
It will look better for one side or the other depending on what Allen does in Montreal, but I think this is one of those trades where both teams could benefit.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

4.375 million for 20 starts and giving up a third-yikes. Agreed Montreal has had some of the worst backup tenders in thegame in recent years so i get it but their are so many UFA goalies this year, lots for half the money. I absolutely get it from the Blues standpoint, like i said Pietrangelo money fell into their lap and they got a third rounder as well, i get it from Montreal's as well but they could have signed a decent backup for half the money or allowed Primeau to get 20 starts. Just a curious add for a Montreal team that has done a good solid job of trading of late.

Absolutely agree...I just neglected to say that Allen could be a 1 yr rental in a backup and that money could be spent elsewhere....

you have a very valid point in the FA goalie pool coming up.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

4.375 million for 20 starts and giving up a third-yikes.

It will be more like 25 starts but yeah kind of pricey....but they need someone to get Price to around 55 starts and i must say i like it.

And the pick i wouldn't worry about they have like 700 picks collected...this is a good start to an offseason.

• Like 1