Buffalo Sabres vs Washington Capitals, every freaking game

Buffalo Rick

I understand this Covid crap.  But WHO IS THE MORON THAT MADE THIS SCHEDULE?  The Sabres are expected to resume their season on Thursday unless something unforseen happens?  And once again, Its the next two games vs the Washington Capitals. A veteran team two years removed from the Cup win, and hell bent on returning.  This schedule is far from fair. We sit at 500 largely because of a lazy ass performance vs a Devils team we should have wiped the ice with.  Oh, but I forgot, Hutton played.  Hutton, the worthless goalie who should have been released.  I am going to go see how Luukenen is doing as I see he is in the AHL with Rochester, the starter no doubt.  I am hoping he comes up and takes over for Hutton but I am sure that Hutton has them by the tail just lie that worthless Chris Davis is burning money from my baseball team, the Orioles.  Its painful for me to admit it. But I am one of those fans for life guys.  So, Capitals again. We better beat them with Ullmark, because I am sure they will  put about 7 past Hutton

Edited by pilldoc

You don’t have to worry about playing the freaking caps. The “filthy” Sabres keep adding players to the covid list so their shutdown has been extended.

Edited by Samifan
  • Haha 2

@Hockey Junkie

If it makes you feel any better think how the teams in the Atlantic Division of the AHL must feel. 

image.png.549d6b60a5e09886cb5641edf5c96698.png

they only play within the division. 24 game schedule.... 12 games each.  (IE ..Hartford plays both Bridgeport and Providence each 12 times.  That is it ...end of schedule)

Meanwhile teams in the North Division play 38 games total

image.png.4b7c687f36cd4dfea03542007174e4f1.png

Covid has played havoc this year in the sports world ..... be grateful we are at least watching hockey.

3 hours ago, pilldoc said:

@Hockey Junkie

If it makes you feel any better think how the teams in the Atlantic Division of the AHL must feel. 

image.png.549d6b60a5e09886cb5641edf5c96698.png

they only play within the division. 24 game schedule.... 12 games each.  (IE ..Hartford plays both Bridgeport and Providence each 12 times.  That is it ...end of schedule)

Meanwhile teams in the North Division play 38 games total

image.png.4b7c687f36cd4dfea03542007174e4f1.png

Covid has played havoc this year in the sports world ..... be grateful we are at least watching hockey.

It has hurt the NHL worst

17 hours ago, pilldoc said:

Explain .....

Just look a the recent explosion of canceled games  Are you kidding me?   The NFL got through a season.  So did Baseball.  The problem is in part because its indoors. Outdoor games have an advantage. And this disease seems to thrive in cold temps.  Well, ice.  There is little doubt the Devils gave us the damn virus.  Killed our season pretty much.  Do you have any idea how difficult it will be to recover?  We will no doubt get back to back nights far more frequently, players tired, and Hutton in goal half the time, he sucks. 

2 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Just look a the recent explosion of canceled games  Are you kidding me?   The NFL got through a season.  So did Baseball.  The problem is in part because its indoors. Outdoor games have an advantage. And this disease seems to thrive in cold temps.  Well, ice.  There is little doubt the Devils gave us the damn virus.  Killed our season pretty much.  Do you have any idea how difficult it will be to recover?  We will no doubt get back to back nights far more frequently, players tired, and Hutton in goal half the time, he sucks. 

Spare me the pity party HJ.  Every sport and I mean every sport was affected by Covid in some shape way or form.  The NHL is no exception.  Lets look at baseball.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-schedule-has-43-total-games-postponed-due-to-positive-covid-19-cases/

Major League Baseball's season just past the halfway mark, and more than 40 games have been postponed due to positive coronavirus cases. Five teams have had at least one player or staff member test positive during the season, and both the Miami Marlins and St. Louis Cardinals have dealt with team-wide outbreaks.

As of September, 43 different MLB games impacting a total of 16 teams had been postponed due to COVID-19 cases. Here is the full list of postponed games and their original dates:

Marlins-Orioles four-game home-and-home series (July 27-30)

Yankees-Phillies four-game home-and-home series (July 27-30)

Marlins-Nationals three-game series (July 31-Aug. 2)

Phillies-Blue Jays three-game series (July 31-Aug. 2)

Brewers-Cardinals three-game series (July 31-Aug. 2)

Cardinals-Tigers four-game series (Aug. 3-6)

Cardinals-Cubs three-game series (Aug. 7-9)

Cardinals-Pirates three-game series (Aug. 10-12)

Cardinals-Tigers doubleheader (Aug. 13)

Cardinals-White Sox series opener (Aug. 14)

Reds-Pirates games (Aug. 15-16)

Reds-Royals series opener (Aug. 18)

Mets-Marlins game (Aug. 19)

Mets-Yankees three-game series (Aug. 20-22)

A's-Astros series finale (Aug. 30)

A's-Mariners three-game series (Sept. 1-3)

Giants-Padres games (Sept. 11-12)

MLB is attempted to make up all postponed games later in the season via doubleheaders and eliminating off days. Teams finished with an unequal number of games around the 1981 strike -- some teams played as many as 111 games that season while others played as few as 103 -- and the standings were based on winning percentage. In these adverse times, a similar strategy would be warranted this year.

That puts a tremendous strain on a manager trying to manage his pitching staff, giving his players appropriate rest so as not hurt them in the process.

Not exactly a rosy picture. Yes, MLB got through it but they had their share of tough times too!

Now lets look at the NFL.  Yes they too finished the season, but not without their share of heartaches.  For the first time ever the NFL had games on Tuesday night AND Wednesday night.  Baltimore at one point had 19 players on the NFL COVID list and yet they STILL MADE the playoffs!  Hell the Cleveland Browns barely practiced for their playoff game vs. the Steelers, lost their head coach in the process and destroyed the Steelers.

In an excellent article written by NFL columnist Jim Trotter he describes the difficulties with the NFL season and Covid.

https://www.nfl.com/news/covid-19-season-taking-heavy-toll-on-nfl-players-significant-others-it-s-changed

At one point in November 2020, 15 NFL teams had players in COVID protocols.  Teams had Virtual meetings which is not the same as in person meetings.

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/virus-toll-32-nfl-teams-hit-covid-19-74557302

Teams such as the Titans / Steelers / Batimore / and Denver were hit the hardest.  Imagine being a Bronco's fan and finding out Saturday BEFORE the game on Sunday that you lost all your QB's because of COVID.  Denver played that game with an emergency QB.

Multiple teams lost their much needed Bye week ......

Finally many teams lost players who opted out and not play this past season.  That impacts your entire team structure.

The NBA has many document accounts how COVID has affected their season.

Last but certainly not least...lets talk about COVID and the 2020 Olympics which were cancelled.  Think of hundreds of "amateur" athletes who trained for years for their shot at Gold, Silver, or Bronze and having that dream disappear.  They don't even get paid.

So please ...tell me again your sob story about the Sabres and having games postponed. And tell me again how the NHL has the worst of it.  They don't!  EVERY sport has been affected in some shape or form.

I'm tired of hearing your bitching, moaning, and crying about your poor Sabres. Deal with it! Every other team in the NHL has too.  Your season is not ruined because you have to play Hutton.  Do a better job at assembling a team.

The Devils are not the only guilty team.  Teams such as the Wild / Avs / and Knights all have had their issues and guess what ....the Sabres haven't even played them.  Teams such as Carolina and Dallas had players in COVID protocol.

Does it suck ...sure it does.  But to make a blanket statement that the NHL has it the worst is the most egregious statement I have ever read.  

Stop with the bellyaching about your poor Sabres.  Other teams are dealing with it too.

3 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

And this disease seems to thrive in cold temps.  Well, ice.

False information ..... been disproven many times over.

3 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

There is little doubt the Devils gave us the damn virus

No!  Stop it..... if players don't take appropriate steps to protect themselves then they run a risk of acquiring COVID.  This includes proper hand hygiene / proper mask wearing / proper social distancing.  All it takes is one person to not follow the rules to cause issues .....

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

22 hours ago, pilldoc said:

Spare me the pity party HJ.  Every sport and I mean every sport was affected by Covid in some shape way or form.  The NHL is no exception.  Lets look at baseball.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-schedule-has-43-total-games-postponed-due-to-positive-covid-19-cases/

Major League Baseball's season just past the halfway mark, and more than 40 games have been postponed due to positive coronavirus cases. Five teams have had at least one player or staff member test positive during the season, and both the Miami Marlins and St. Louis Cardinals have dealt with team-wide outbreaks.

As of September, 43 different MLB games impacting a total of 16 teams had been postponed due to COVID-19 cases. Here is the full list of postponed games and their original dates:

Marlins-Orioles four-game home-and-home series (July 27-30)

Yankees-Phillies four-game home-and-home series (July 27-30)

Marlins-Nationals three-game series (July 31-Aug. 2)

Phillies-Blue Jays three-game series (July 31-Aug. 2)

Brewers-Cardinals three-game series (July 31-Aug. 2)

Cardinals-Tigers four-game series (Aug. 3-6)

Cardinals-Cubs three-game series (Aug. 7-9)

Cardinals-Pirates three-game series (Aug. 10-12)

Cardinals-Tigers doubleheader (Aug. 13)

Cardinals-White Sox series opener (Aug. 14)

Reds-Pirates games (Aug. 15-16)

Reds-Royals series opener (Aug. 18)

Mets-Marlins game (Aug. 19)

Mets-Yankees three-game series (Aug. 20-22)

A's-Astros series finale (Aug. 30)

A's-Mariners three-game series (Sept. 1-3)

Giants-Padres games (Sept. 11-12)

MLB is attempted to make up all postponed games later in the season via doubleheaders and eliminating off days. Teams finished with an unequal number of games around the 1981 strike -- some teams played as many as 111 games that season while others played as few as 103 -- and the standings were based on winning percentage. In these adverse times, a similar strategy would be warranted this year.

That puts a tremendous strain on a manager trying to manage his pitching staff, giving his players appropriate rest so as not hurt them in the process.

Not exactly a rosy picture. Yes, MLB got through it but they had their share of tough times too!

Now lets look at the NFL.  Yes they too finished the season, but not without their share of heartaches.  For the first time ever the NFL had games on Tuesday night AND Wednesday night.  Baltimore at one point had 19 players on the NFL COVID list and yet they STILL MADE the playoffs!  Hell the Cleveland Browns barely practiced for their playoff game vs. the Steelers, lost their head coach in the process and destroyed the Steelers.

In an excellent article written by NFL columnist Jim Trotter he describes the difficulties with the NFL season and Covid.

https://www.nfl.com/news/covid-19-season-taking-heavy-toll-on-nfl-players-significant-others-it-s-changed

At one point in November 2020, 15 NFL teams had players in COVID protocols.  Teams had Virtual meetings which is not the same as in person meetings.

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/virus-toll-32-nfl-teams-hit-covid-19-74557302

Teams such as the Titans / Steelers / Batimore / and Denver were hit the hardest.  Imagine being a Bronco's fan and finding out Saturday BEFORE the game on Sunday that you lost all your QB's because of COVID.  Denver played that game with an emergency QB.

Multiple teams lost their much needed Bye week ......

Finally many teams lost players who opted out and not play this past season.  That impacts your entire team structure.

The NBA has many document accounts how COVID has affected their season.

Last but certainly not least...lets talk about COVID and the 2020 Olympics which were cancelled.  Think of hundreds of "amateur" athletes who trained for years for their shot at Gold, Silver, or Bronze and having that dream disappear.  They don't even get paid.

So please ...tell me again your sob story about the Sabres and having games postponed. And tell me again how the NHL has the worst of it.  They don't!  EVERY sport has been affected in some shape or form.

I'm tired of hearing your bitching, moaning, and crying about your poor Sabres. Deal with it! Every other team in the NHL has too.  Your season is not ruined because you have to play Hutton.  Do a better job at assembling a team.

The Devils are not the only guilty team.  Teams such as the Wild / Avs / and Knights all have had their issues and guess what ....the Sabres haven't even played them.  Teams such as Carolina and Dallas had players in COVID protocol.

Does it suck ...sure it does.  But to make a blanket statement that the NHL has it the worst is the most egregious statement I have ever read.  

Stop with the bellyaching about your poor Sabres.  Other teams are dealing with it too.

I am entitled to my opinion. Just because your Flyers are winning a few games, and they do not scare me a bit, it does not mean you are not casting your opinion based on this.  My team is at 500 and that has nothing to do with this.  Its the ******** Bettman has dished out. He should be the commish of Pop Warner somewhere.  He sucks. Always has sucked.  And what the Devils did is a punishable offense.  They need to be fined, fined and double fined. Ad then suspended.  You cant tell me with 15 infected nobody knew anything before they hit the ice.  No way.  Take a look at what your shoveling Mr Pill Dr

22 hours ago, pilldoc said:

False information ..... been disproven many times over.

No!  Stop it..... if players don't take appropriate steps to protect themselves then they run a risk of acquiring COVID.  This includes proper hand hygiene / proper mask wearing / proper social distancing.  All it takes is one person to not follow the rules to cause issues .....

Ill stop it when little piggies fly fella.  The damn Devils are guilty all day long of killing more than one teams schedule. Why dont you wake up and see the facts!!!!!  And as for my poor Sabres, they did a pretty good job on your sorry ass Flyers with a horrible backup named Hutton, and came out with a 6-1 arse whipping on your ice. Your big bad pansies have not played in Buffalo in 2 years. Most of my team is in bed trying to survive this thing. I am more worried about the coach's health because he is not a young man.  the DEVILS ARE GUILTY FELLA!!!!!!!!!  Go read the F%$king news!!!!!!

18 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

They need to be fined, fined and double fined.

My head is spinning from HJ’s math, wouldn’t the second fine make that a double fine at that point? Then he wants to double the fine, fine? So is that 1x4 or 2x2?  😂

19 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

am more worried about the coach's health because he is not a young man

Well maybe your soccer coach should have left his mask on when he was kissing Eichel’s ass.  :NinjaLookLeftRight1:   #wearamask 

as others have mentioned this pandemic has pretty much effected every NHL team since starting up. It’s also been going on for almost a year so please stop making it sound as if the Sabres have be screwed and traumatized the most. 

With the Governors new rule, the Sabres will be able to have up to 1800 fans in attendance pending support from Erie County Health Department. Look forward to that day when people can go see live hockey and a crappy backup apparently. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Samifan said:

My head is spinning from HJ’s math, wouldn’t the second fine make that a double fine at that point? Then he wants to double the fine, fine? So is that 1x4 or 2x2?  😂

Well maybe your soccer coach should have left his mask on when he was kissing Eichel’s ass.  :NinjaLookLeftRight1:   #wearamask 

as others have mentioned this pandemic has pretty much effected every NHL team since starting up. It’s also been going on for almost a year so please stop making it sound as if the Sabres have be screwed and traumatized the most. 

With the Governors new rule, the Sabres will be able to have up to 1800 fans in attendance pending support from Erie County Health Department. Look forward to that day when people can go see live hockey and a crappy backup apparently. 

Dont hold the Devils accountable huh? 

Edited by pilldoc
Watch the name calling

8 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

I am entitled to my opinion. Just because your Flyers are winning a few games, and they do not scare me a bit, it does not mean you are not casting your opinion based on this.  My team is at 500 and that has nothing to do with this.  Its the ******** Bettman has dished out. He should be the commish of Pop Warner somewhere.  He sucks. Always has sucked.  And what the Devils did is a punishable offense.  They need to be fined, fined and double fined. Ad then suspended.  You cant tell me with 15 infected nobody knew anything before they hit the ice.  No way.  Take a look at what your shoveling Mr Pill Dr

You know HJ ...I was pretty PO'd reading your response, but then I realized not all of us had a chance to develop critical thinking skills.  Let me digress...the definition of Critical Thinking is :

Critical thinking is the ability to think clearly and rationally, understanding the logical connection between ideas.  Critical thinking has been the subject of much debate and thought since the time of early Greek philosophers such as Plato and Socrates and has continued to be a subject of discussion into the modern age, for example the ability to recognize fake news or misinformation or even the lack of understanding.

Critical thinking might be described as the ability to engage in reflective and independent thinking. In essence, critical thinking requires you to use your ability to reason. It is about being an active learner rather than a passive recipient of information. Critical thinkers rigorously question ideas and assumptions rather than accepting them at face value. They will always seek to determine whether the ideas, arguments and findings represent the entire picture and are open to finding that they do not. Critical thinkers will identify, analyze and solve problems systematically rather than by intuition or instinct or by emotion.

Someone with critical thinking skills can:

• Understand the links between ideas.
  • Determine the importance and relevance of arguments and ideas.
  • Recognise, build and appraise arguments.
  • Identify inconsistencies and errors in reasoning.
  • Approach problems in a consistent and systematic way.
  • Reflect on the justification of their own assumptions, beliefs and values.
  • Critical thinking is thinking about things in certain ways so as to arrive at the best possible solution in the circumstances that the thinker is aware of. In more everyday language, it is a way of thinking about whatever is presently occupying your mind so that you come to the best possible conclusion

The object is responding to a post with facts to counter argue the post in question.  You made a statement that

On 2/9/2021 at 10:45 AM, Hockey Junkie said:

It has hurt the NHL worst

I responded in a logical fact filled post showing you that other sports have been hit just as hard, if not worst than the NHL.  Therefore, please explain to me that by the Sabres missing a few games that this is somehow worst than than the entire 2020 Summer Olympics being cancelled and postponed or a NFL football teamm being forced to play a game with no legitimate starting QB.. 

At no time did I mention the Flyers.  But in your typical fashion you lash out in a typical tirade that had absolutely nothing to do with what I posted.  One of the things we stress around here is to debate the topic at hand and not make outlandish statements.  You could not respond to my post in a sensible way. 

Please explain to me why you think the NHL has it worst?  Show me examples that what the NHL is enduring is somehow more severe than what happened in baseball or the NFL or even the Olympics.  After all that is what critical thinking is ...taking information and forming a cohesive argument for or against a particular subject or statement.

Quite frankly I don't give a rip if you want boast about the Sabres beating the Flyers.  1) crap happens and teams have bad games 2) I don't wear my emotions on my sleeves with regard to any sports team I follow.  If somehow you thought you were going to draw my ire by your comments towards me, you thought wrong.

Finally with your dribble about COVID / The Devils / and the Sabres ....let me educate you here .... Asymptomatic spread has been one of the most mysterious and haunting aspects of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19. Do people without any symptoms of COVID-19 help spread the virus? The alarming answer is yes.  “Asymptomatic spread definitely plays a role in community spread,” said Dr. David Beckham an infectious disease specialist who studies viruses in a lab he runs at the Univ. of Colorado School of Medicine.  It is unfortunate to what happen with the Sabres, but that is the risk of the NHL is willing to take in order for the season to progress.  That is why protocols are put in place. That means it’s all the more critical for people to follow public health measures that clearly work, chief among them wearing masks, staying far apart from people and washing hands frequently.

There is no precedent in fining teams when a healthcare crisis occurs.  It will not happen and it should not happen. I understand your frustration... I really do.  COVID has affected many teams across the NHL, you and the Sabres certainly are not being singled out,  but to try to punish a team for a situation such as this has no real legal standing on which to stand either legally or anything stated in the NHLPA and/or the by-laws and code of conduct as stated by the NHL.

Edited by pilldoc
  • Good Post 1

3 hours ago, pilldoc said:

You know HJ ...I was pretty PO'd reading your response, but then I realized not all of us had a chance to develop critical thinking skills.  Let me digress...the definition of Critical Thinking is :

Critical thinking is the ability to think clearly and rationally, understanding the logical connection between ideas.  Critical thinking has been the subject of much debate and thought since the time of early Greek philosophers such as Plato and Socrates and has continued to be a subject of discussion into the modern age, for example the ability to recognize fake news or misinformation or even the lack of understanding.

Critical thinking might be described as the ability to engage in reflective and independent thinking. In essence, critical thinking requires you to use your ability to reason. It is about being an active learner rather than a passive recipient of information. Critical thinkers rigorously question ideas and assumptions rather than accepting them at face value. They will always seek to determine whether the ideas, arguments and findings represent the entire picture and are open to finding that they do not. Critical thinkers will identify, analyze and solve problems systematically rather than by intuition or instinct or by emotion.

Someone with critical thinking skills can:

• Understand the links between ideas.
  • Determine the importance and relevance of arguments and ideas.
  • Recognise, build and appraise arguments.
  • Identify inconsistencies and errors in reasoning.
  • Approach problems in a consistent and systematic way.
  • Reflect on the justification of their own assumptions, beliefs and values.
  • Critical thinking is thinking about things in certain ways so as to arrive at the best possible solution in the circumstances that the thinker is aware of. In more everyday language, it is a way of thinking about whatever is presently occupying your mind so that you come to the best possible conclusion

The object is responding to a post with facts to counter argue the post in question.  You made a statement that

I responded in a logical fact filled post showing you that other sports have been hit just as hard, if not worst than the NHL.  Therefore, please explain to me that by the Sabres missing a few games that this is somehow worst than than the entire 2020 Summer Olympics being cancelled and postponed or a NFL football teamm being forced to play a game with no legitimate starting QB.. 

At no time did I mention the Flyers.  But in your typical fashion you lash out in a typical tirade that had absolutely nothing to do with what I posted.  One of the things we stress around here is to debate the topic at hand and not make outlandish statements.  You could not respond to my post in a sensible way. 

Please explain to me why you think the NHL has it worst?  Show me examples that what the NHL is enduring is somehow more severe than what happened in baseball or the NFL or even the Olympics.  After all that is what critical thinking is ...taking information and forming a cohesive argument for or against a particular subject or statement.

Quite frankly I don't give a rip if you want boast about the Sabres beating the Flyers.  1) crap happens and teams have bad games 2) I don't wear my emotions on my sleeves with regard to any sports team I follow.  If somehow you thought you were going to draw my ire by your comments towards me, you thought wrong.

Finally with your dribble about COVID / The Devils / and the Sabres ....let me educate you here .... Asymptomatic spread has been one of the most mysterious and haunting aspects of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19. Do people without any symptoms of COVID-19 help spread the virus? The alarming answer is yes.  “Asymptomatic spread definitely plays a role in community spread,” said Dr. David Beckham an infectious disease specialist who studies viruses in a lab he runs at the Univ. of Colorado School of Medicine.  It is unfortunate to what happen with the Sabres, but that is the risk of the NHL is willing to take in order for the season to progress.  That is why protocols are put in place. That means it’s all the more critical for people to follow public health measures that clearly work, chief among them wearing masks, staying far apart from people and washing hands frequently.

There is no precedent in fining teams when a healthcare crisis occurs.  It will not happen and it should not happen. I understand your frustration... I really do.  COVID has affected many teams across the NHL, you and the Sabres certainly are not being singled out,  but to try to punish a team for a situation such as this has no real legal standing on which to stand either legally or anything stated in the NHLPA and/or the by-laws and code of conduct as stated by the NHL.

I could read the Iliad and the Odyssey faster than most of your posts.  😫

1 hour ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Edited by j0e due to personal attacks

Not playing God at all ...the fact you can't supply a decent rebuttal to my argument says it all .....

1 hour ago, Hockey Junkie said:

If you  want to use your muscle and be a Nazi mod then go ahead and make my day.  

not necessary ..if you have a beef with me...send me a PM

Edited by J0e Th0rnton
removing hidden post