Islanders Semyon Varlamov snubbed in Vezina Trophy vote

musky

Today, the NHL announced that the three finalists for the Vezina Trophy. None were New York Islanders goalie Semyon Varlamov. And that’s absolutely ridiculous. Varlamov not only deserved to be a finalist but to win the award outright.
\

SV%    GAA     SO      GSAA                       

Vasilevskiy    6    8        4              3

Grubauer    8    2           1              23

Fleury           3    3       3        6

Varlamov    2    4         1              2

I'm wondering if he will continue to be snubbed because of his time in Colorado and the domestic violence charges and the subsequent scandal/blackmail/craziness.

That's not the kind of thing people forget. Regardless of the charges being dropped, there will always be a tinge of the cray cray when his name comes up.

It's not fair, but plausible. 

• Sad 1

Not sure how deep into stats the people that nominate Vezina candidates look, but here are some side by side comparisons for basic stuff and some cats a bit deeper.
But I gotta say, when you have 4 quality netminders like these, and can only choose 3, well, a snub IS going to take place somewhere!

I also want to say, I never was a fan of Grubauer being a legit starter, but I may have to eat those opinions because he sure impressed and continues to impress this season.
Granted, he could do a "Cam Talbot" have an awesome year, followed up by a bunch of mediocre ones, but until/if that happens, the man deserves his status as a Vezina candidate THIS year.

Basic stats have Varly looking pretty good, except for the mentioned team stat losses, but fair or not, I do believe those factor pretty heavily into these discussions, and his totals there are far fewer than the Vezina finalists.

Also, on the extended stats, have a look at RBS (Really Bad Starts).....that is games where the goalie's sv% was below .850 in a given game.
Yes, Grubauer didn't do so well there either, but Varly's low win totals, along with a relatively high number of those, doesn't work in his favor.
QS% (Quality starts) percentage is outstanding for Varly, so it seems the man was either really good, or had real clunker games....perhaps a bit less prone to extremes either way?

Also, look at the high danger or point blank Sv% (shots from 15 ft or less)...Grubauer simply blows everyone away there.

Hey, not saying Varlamov didn't get snubbed, and perhaps even some off ice stuff, as was mentioned, played a part, but also not saying Varly should have been a slam dunk to be included either.
340230878_basicstats.thumb.jpg.1554a21bf5f83daa232a4a316870d4b2.jpg

1463122253_ExtendedStats.thumb.jpg.e812a1b1e1b706f0616c264779039d93.jpg

• Good Post 2