Wild sign Alex Goligoski and Frederick Gaudreau in Day 1 of Free Agency

Wild sign defenseman Alex Goligoski and Frederick Gaudreau in opening day of Free Agency

We certainly were not the most active team in free agency but we did try to fill some holes on the big club and Iowa's roster today.  I share my thoughts on it and who they might target in the near future to fill some of the remaining holes.  Enjoy and discuss!  

• Like 2

So we have Brodin, Dumba, Spurgeon Goligoski and Kulikov. That leaves room for Addison. But what a disaster to lose Menell for nothing! I was also hopeful on Belpedio turning out a good player, so I have to say I'm very disappointed here. Suddenly our defense is looking very bland. And we still don't have contracts with Kap and Fiala. Filip Lindberg went to PIT. Things are looking very Minnesota again.

• Like 3

I have updated the article to include the Wild signing Dmitry Kulikov too.  It doesn't leave much left beyond waiting to see #97 & #22 re-signed.  

So out goes

Ryan Suter

Zach Parise

Nick Bonino

Ian Cole

Marcus Johansson

In arrives

Alex Goligoski

Frederick Gaudreau

Dmitry Kulikov 

16 minutes ago, lynxrattle said:

So we have Brodin, Dumba, Spurgeon Goligoski and Kulikov. That leaves room for Addison. But what a disaster to lose Menell for nothing! I was also hopeful on Belpedio turning out a good player, so I have to say I'm very disappointed here. Suddenly our defense is looking very bland. And we still don't have contracts with Kap and Fiala. Filip Lindberg went to PIT. Things are looking very Minnesota again.

When you look at the two lists, we look like we're becoming the Arizona Coyotes.  Maybe not quite that bad, but it doesn't look like we're moving forward.  (sigh)  

• Like 2
  • Uggh... 1

13 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

When you look at the two lists, we look like we're becoming the Arizona Coyotes.  Maybe not quite that bad, but it doesn't look like we're moving forward.  (sigh) 

Either that or we're becoming the Nashville Predators before the owner there decided to sell the team. The fortunes of the Preds sure improved after CL left the picture there. Could Leipold history be on the verge of repeating itself here?

If this theory pans out, y'all heard it here first. 🤑

• Like 2

16 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

I agree.

But, in some strange, eery way to me Golikoski and Kulikov look on paper better than Suter and Cole. The Wild might have a better mixture on D next season.

• Like 1

I hated Suter and I still do.  I don't think I've minced any words about that over the years.  I am really curious to see how his departure is felt within the club and how it affects the way the team plays; especially on the power play where even last season he got way too much time on the man advantage.  

I have heard Goligoski could possibly be on the top pairing with Spurgeon and I think those two would actually work pretty well with one another.  

Kulikov and Merrill will probably be our 3rd pairing or perhaps combination of one of them and Addison if he has a really good camp and pre-season.  

The team can't afford to make big splashes and that will the case for the next few years.  We as a fanbase just have to accept that and move on.  

Edited by CreaseAndAssist
  • Like 1