Minnesota Wild @ San Jose Sharks, Thursday 12-9-21, 9:30pm, SAP Arena

MNSOTA

1 minute ago, lynxrattle said:

Four lines, and d-men freed and relied on. That makes all of that possible. Evason has done a fine job. Now, if only that PP was top notch too, I'd totally stop bitching about the coaching.

Well, my take on that, and this is just pure speculation on my part, is that when you have a complete team concept like the Wild do and making the most of what you have (sometimes making MORE with what you are probably supposed to), a weakness still has to creep in somewhere.

Let's face it:
If you go man for man, Wild's roster with some of the more supposedly "talented" teams, on paper, the Wild should not match up very well against many of them.
But since games aren't played on paper, and hockey, unlike other team sports like basketball or even football to a degree, really relies on everyone pulling their weight, the Wild are doing what perhaps the numbers, the roster, and the competition they play say they shouldn't be doing...winning.

But, when it comes to the PP, the teams with the highest level of talented goal scorers are usually at the top.
The Wild work hard, but other than Kaprizov, Fiala (when he is going well), and Zuccarello...there are no pure goal scorers on the team to take full advantage of the PP.

Basically, the Wild's PP is more workmanlike, so they end up with their 5-man unit against the other team's equally workmanlike 4-man PK unit, and the result is a wash, which of course, favors the PK'ers because while the PP guys are looking to "win", the PK'ers are simply looking to draw even.

Is it coaching?
Maybe a bit, because even blue collar guys can still find ways to score when they are up a man, but I think, when it comes to the PP, it really comes down to the Wild simply needing another pure goal scorer or two, and at least one of them should be a consistent quarterback type from the blue line.
I think if Minnesota can develop one or two more of those (hello, Rossi, Boldy, and/or Addison), add it to what they have in Zuc, Kap, and Fiala, THEN you will see the PP shoot up the efficiency rankings.

Until then, their PP will continue to try and grind out goals, or hope a guy like Kap goes nuts and carries everything all of a sudden.
For my money, I will take the coaching as is because the team is  fine everywhere else and see about upgrading the PP unit's talent.

• Good Post 3

That was a very good post Tropical, thanks for that. It gives a lot food for thought. I think you are spot on the lack of talent and scorers. I still think coaching can somewhat compensate for the lack of talent, as the Finnish National Team has traditionally been relatively good with PP despite similar problems. Admittedly it's a little different though, when there is lot of time and a lot of coaches co-operation when in preparation for a shorttime effort like the Olympics, for example. Apples and oranges, to a degree.

• Thanks 1

Tough to tell whether the Sharks really are pressing and dominating....or the Wild have, for some reason, decided to try sitting on this lead and allowing SJ speed and entry into their zone.

Whatever it is, the Wild now only have one mulligan left, only six minutes to go, thus they best go back to dictating and playing "their game" like they were doing earlier.

3-2, still with the lead.
Attack, boys, attack.
Too much time to sit on any leads.

• Like 1