Bobs not as bad as people think....

Guest Vanflyer

@radoran

You don't run-and-gun teams out of the playoffs. You get run out more often than not.

IMO, if they go into the playoffs running the "system" they are now, they will not get past the first round

Send this to the Flyers. This is my problem both last year and this with Lavy's style of play. They do well early in the season and shoot out to the front of the pack and lead or are near the top in scoring (they were last year, too, if you remember). This is all done while other teams are gelling their defense and coordinating how they're going to play when the games get big. The Flyers? Just run and gun. So later in the year when the other teams' defenses have come together and defense becomes what wins games, the Flyers can no longer score at the rate they were and they haven't spent any real effort on figuring out their defense so you see the record start to fall and we have this same discussion year in year out.

I don't want to go back to the "sit back" mentality we had under Stevens. I have to admit that the "run and gun" is in many ways more entertaining to watch. But it doesn't win when it counts...as you accurately point out. I wouldn't mind a "puck-hunting" mentality that derives from sound defense. That WILL get you offense while protecting your back end. It will also give the goalie a CHANCE to steal a game once in awhile.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's really one thing I noticed watching the Sabres more often - people can justifiably question Ruff, but more often than not I see a squad that's at least playing as a five-man unit on the ice.

The Flyers consistently have more talent than most teams, but they aren't the best at being a "team."

Agreed. Terrific points in this thread, rad.

I don't disagree. On the other hand, I don't know that we're giving them the opportunity to "steal" any games. It would be nice if they cut down on the goofy goals, but other goalies give up goofy goals on occasion (whatsisname last night in Detroit, for example) and their team rallies around them and overcomes it rather than using it as an excuse to lose. But with the incessant bumbleF**king in the defensive end, bad decisions with the puck, bad decisions without the puck, lousy coverage, forwards leaving too quickly, etc., you can have "steals" like Bob did early against the Rangers the other night and it doesn't matter. There's really only so much a goalie should be expected to steal. With this defense, it would amount to more than just stealing. It would be felony grand theft.

Agreed.

agree with everything you say... they need to play better... but, then again so does everyone else.

Okay, I have a new question then. If the problems are not on the goalies for the most part, but the defense / team effort...

If the Flyers are able to square up their defensive play a bit, which goaltender do you go with? Do you hope Bryz turns into a near-elite goalie, or do you use the net to try and develop Bobrovsky?

Okay, I have a new question then. If the problems are not on the goalies for the most part, but the defense / team effort...

If the Flyers are able to square up their defensive play a bit, which goaltender do you go with? Do you hope Bryz turns into a near-elite goalie, or do you use the net to try and develop Bobrovsky?

IF the Flyers are able to square up their defensive play, I make a commitment to the kazillion dollar goalie and try to get him to work through whatever the problem is. Part of that is that I don't trust Bob as the starter, but mainly it's because I want the ROI from the kazillion dollar goalie. I like Lavy and have been a lot more patient with him than with recent Flyer head coaches, but I don't think he has helped with goalies with the way he has used them. Bryz, in particular, but even going back the last couple years. At times, his hand was forced, but at other times I think he's helped to create his own problems.

IF the Flyers are able to square up their defensive play, I make a commitment to the kazillion dollar goalie and try to get him to work through whatever the problem is. Part of that is that I don't trust Bob as the starter, but mainly it's because I want the ROI from the kazillion dollar goalie. I like Lavy and have been a lot more patient with him than with recent Flyer head coaches, but I don't think he has helped with goalies with the way he has used them. Bryz, in particular, but even going back the last couple years. At times, his hand was forced, but at other times I think he's helped to create his own problems.

Good points.

To be clear, I think that the two things - goaltending and team defense - spiral on each other after a while. That's when you get 9-8 silliness.

The ROI on the K$G makes Bryzgalov the obvious "first choice." I won't belabor the numbers (for once) but ever since Bryz has not been expected to replace Ari Gold on the HBO schedule, he's been more focused and a better goalie.

"Elite" remains to be seen, but he DOES have a playoff pedigree when playing for a GOOD team that says he can do well. You can't solely blame Bryzgalov for Phoenix not beating Detroit.