Bobs not as bad as people think....

Guest Vanflyer

I tried to post this in Quiqly46 thread, but I have recently entered the dark ages when it comes to internet speed and my ability to even log on here, let alone post is greatly hampered.

That said, in a recent thread started by Quigly, he was on his whiplash box of punting Breezy and Bobsky.

Here are some things to ponder with Bobsky:

@quiqly46

I am just not there with Bobs. He has had THREE bad games all year. The two against Winnipeg and the clunker against Jersey. I think he has looked improved this year. Sharper on the play, quicker in his reactions (lateral movement), smarter with the puck (including puck handling), heck- even his glove hand has improved. Does he need work, sure. But look at this:

Throw out his two clunkers from the beginning of the year and the one from Jersey and here is what he has done:

Started 14 games. In those games he has gone 10-3-1 with a 1.77 gaa and a .935 sv pctg.

In addition, he has appeared in three games in relief for Breezy:

game 1> played 43 minutes and 1 goal allowed and got the win

game 2> played 13 minutes and 0 goal allowed (decision went to Breezy, a win)

game 3> played 33 minutes and 1 goal allowed (decision went to breezy, loss- against boston)

So, in 89 minutes of relief goaltending, he has allowed 2 goals.

So, yeah the two peg games where he allowed 5 goals sucked (though the first one he was hung out to dry and that was the ok shoot 'em corale 8-9 loss) and the jersey game sucked. But when I look at the rest of his body of work this season I still see allot of potential for a very good #1 goaltender.

Snider crapped the bed on this one. Should have signed Vokoun for 1 or 2 years and let him and Bobs platoon until Bobs is ready to handle the reigns. Vokoun posted his 4th shutout tonight and is 2.47 gaa, .920 sv pctg and a .608 win percentage the year.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too much talent and drive with #35 to give up on yet... He is such a good athlete and takes stopping the puck personally.

The guy hit "the wall " last year played 30 more games than ever in his life, on a different sized sheet , on a weird moon-man speaking continent without his beloved Olga.

We seriously crapped the bed signing any goalie let alone Bryzgalov for more than 3 years...

@flyercanuck-

"Yep, I'm fine with Bob. Guy is in his 2nd year, he's doing fine. Bryz on the other hand is running away with "Worst Flyer Goalie of Alltime", and that is something in itself."

Agree on both points. I just don't get why people are so down on Bobs. I know the Flyers are trying to save face on the Breezy thing, but there comes a point where you need to bail on it- at least for this season and see what you got in the kid. Let Snider sell his shiny new Lear Jet with all the high end technology (especially the landing gear cam) to pay for his callousal mistake out of his own pocket.

@mojo1917

"Bob did good last year too. Remember that its common that a rookie golie have a bad 2nd year, thats not the case with Bob. The roblem is that he was shaky last playoff... Im sure he would handle it much better this year or years to come. He will grow into it."

The problem was March and April really. The Flyers decide to virtually platoon Bobs and Boucher 50/50 in the last 20 games. Bobs would have a good game, Boucher would get the next start. Bobs would have a bad game, boucher would get the next start and conversely.

The flyers finished 7-10-3 in their last 20 games. I am not sure if Bobs hit a wall or if the 50/50 platooning was to much herky jerky, but whatever. I can not really blame Bobs for the playoffs considering that the writing was on the wall in the last 20 games coming down the stretch.

I don't think the majority of fans are down on Bob at all. If I were to hazard a guess, I would say that most 'more than casual' fans can see Bobs potential, and want him to succeed. He will have hiccups, but even then, he has vastly improved from last season. Quick checklist:

- Goes down too fast in the butterfly

- Doesn't challenge shooters

- Can't play the puck to save his life

- Can't pass the puck to save his life

- Below average one on one (breakaways, shootouts)

- Zero communication with the defense

- Rookie with zero north american ice experience

Bob has improved in literally every aspect on that list and then some. Significantly.

--

As someone else pointed out, quigly is a hit and run poster as of late.

After the Devil's game I was thinking it was DejaVu all over again! Its really nice that you guys are so optimistic about Bobbo's status.I'm sure he would be happy to know you are in his corner. Any body here like the fact that the Islander's game was the first time this season the flyers lost three in a row. Who can we blame that on?

@doom88

Great points all around. My post was mostly to Quiqly, but some also think that bobs is not that good. I like what both you and FC stated. Also, there was some good discussion on another thread in regards to Flyers not drafting / grooming goaltenders well and in that discussion was the a comparison of Nitty and Bobs. I think FC was pointing out Bobs more natural athletic ability.

I guess my whole point is- despite the Breezy debacle (I need to change my avitar! ;-), I see no reason to give up on Bobs at all and at some point THIS year (if breezy continues his ways), put bobs in on a regular basis.

@doom88

"Why are you so dead set on blaming someone? Can't the other team just play one hell of a game? The Islanders earned that win the hard way - 65 minutes of excellent team play and a goalie on a mission."

Exactly. I general fans hear "Islanders" and think doormat. Few realize that this is a league of parity and even the lower tier teams capable of beating the upper tier teams on any given night (Carolina says hello to Boston).

The reality is that since the end of the year, the Islanders have been playing 100% effort hockey and getting exceptional goaltending from Nabby. They are a 11-5-1 club since the end of the year. The Flyers are not.

After the Devil's game I was thinking it was DejaVu all over again! Its really nice that you guys are so optimistic about Bobbo's status.I'm sure he would be happy to know you are in his corner. Any body here like the fact that the Islander's game was the first time this season the flyers lost three in a row. Who can we blame that on?

Well, I'm going to take a stab at this...when you lose 1-0 in a shootout, I'd venture to say the loss wasn't the goalies fault. You don't win many games that you score ZERO goals in.

Yep, I'm fine with Bob. Guy is in his 2nd year, he's doing fine. Bryz on the other hand is running away with "Worst Flyer Goalie of Alltime", and that is something in itself.

Worst all time??? Really???

Stop killing the guy, he's been solid this year - just not spectacular. He'll come around and be fine.

Worst all time??? Really???

Stop killing the guy, he's been solid this year - just not spectacular. He'll come around and be fine.

He's been solid? Bryzgalov? Ilya Bryzgalov, has been solid all year? Do you have a time machine? It's the 2011/12 season.

I hope he comes around, or this team is screwed. He's FOURTEEITH in save percentage in the NHL. Not 14th, 40th. Which means you basically go through the entire NHLs starting goalies, then half their back ups and THEN you come to the guy being paid 10 million dollars to stop the puck, who so clearly ISN'T. Which makes him a solid AHL goalie...maybe. Of course his GAA is much better, where he's ranked 34th. Solid? Gimme a break.

Here's a break - if you throw out the 2 bad games against the 2 best teams (Bos/NYR) Bryz has an unreal .970 SV% in his last 6. Problem is of course he hasn't upped his game against the elite in our conference. Still don't wanna give up yet.

He's been solid? Bryzgalov? Ilya Bryzgalov, has been solid all year? Do you have a time machine? It's the 2011/12 season.

I hope he comes around, or this team is screwed. He's FOURTEEITH in save percentage in the NHL. Not 14th, 40th. Which means you basically go through the entire NHLs starting goalies, then half their back ups and THEN you come to the guy being paid 10 million dollars to stop the puck, who so clearly ISN'T. Which makes him a solid AHL goalie...maybe. Of course his GAA is much better, where he's ranked 34th. Solid? Gimme a break.

You are correct that he is not living up to his contract, no doubt. But he's played solid enough for the team to still only be a game out of the conference lead. That's not terrible as you make it out to be. Flyers don't give up a ton of shots, so his SV% is a little misleading if you ask me. His GAA could be better no doubt, but it's only slightly below his 2011 number.

I think fans need to ease up on the guy and stop the constant negativity and whining. He's not playing that terrible nor is the team in a position to warrant the level of bitching coming from a lot of you.

The Rangers are a better team anyway, lets be honest. So we should be happy with the 4th seed and I'm saving my real judgement of the guy once the playoffs start. If he stinks it up and Flyers get bounced by NJ in the first round then I will agree he deserves the level of criticism you are laying on him now. Until then I'm giving the guy more of a break.

Edited by Green Man

@Greenman

"He's not playing that terrible nor is the team in a position to warrant the level of bitching coming from a lot of you"

the team in not playing terribly that is true.

Ilya is not doing what he was brought in to do and that was solve the issue at goaltender. He has had more than his share of fluky deflections this year , but, he lets his concentration wander , hasn't been reading the play well enough to make up for his physical limitations (he's slow of foot and thought) pucks somehow get through his frame, pucks that are shot at him wind up behind him somehow. He IMO deserves nearly all the criticism that is coming his way.

The Rangers are not a better team player for player which of their top 9 fowards would you trade for ours ? you can say callahan for talbot but would you do callahan for giroux ? they are a better team at one position .

@Greenman

"He's not playing that terrible nor is the team in a position to warrant the level of bitching coming from a lot of you"

the team in not playing terribly that is true.

Ilya is not doing what he was brought in to do and that was solve the issue at goaltender. He has had more than his share of fluky deflections this year , but, he lets his concentration wander , hasn't been reading the play well enough to make up for his physical limitations (he's slow of foot and thought) pucks somehow get through his frame, pucks that are shot at him wind up behind him somehow. He IMO deserves nearly all the criticism that is coming his way.

The Rangers are not a better team player for player which of their top 9 fowards would you trade for ours ? you can say callahan for talbot but would you do callahan for giroux ? they are a better team at one position .

I don't want to hijack the thread with a Rangers Vs Flyers comparison, but I see them as better just based on the head to head record. Sure Lundquist has made a signifigant impact in those games, but I always thought he was better than Bryz before Bryz even came to the Flyers.

You probably would win the paper argument if we started matching guys individually vs each other, but they just seem to have the Flyers number regardless if our forwards have more upside.

@Greenman

i won't argue that they've had our number this year I just don't see them as being this great juggernaut that lot's of people are making them out to be... they're a good team no question but they're not light years better than we are by any stretch. the series is a couple of soft goals against us from being even.

i also agree the king henrick is was and always will be better than Ilya. the guy (lundquist) is one of the top 4 goalies on the planet at this time.

@Green Man

The team is only a game out of the conference lead in spite of Bryzgalovs play. The bitching is warranted. The guy is ranked near the bottom of the entire league, including backups. That ain't 'solid" in my books.

The Rangers are a better team because of goaltending, plain and simple.