Wild trade Nico Sturm for Tyson Jost

CreaseAndAssist

Wild trade Nico Sturm to Colorado for Tyson Jost

Its not some 'who cares' minor league trade, but its also not a big splash.  Nico Sturm was never going to be anything more than a bottom 6 center on the Wild.  Tyson Jost, we don't know yet, although I am not sure how much time he'll have to prove he's anything special.  He is signed through next season, so that does potentially give him more 'soak' time to figure it out.  The Avalanche will have to choose whether or not they sign Sturm as a UFA this summer.  

Odd trade at this point in the season between rivals although if I'm Colorado I don't think the Wild give me much to fear these days.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Odd trade at this point in the season between rivals

I'm thinking it's somewhat cap related as the Avs may be looking to open up space to acquire, say, Claude Giroux? They replace a guy playing in their bottom six with a bottom six guy.

Wild pick up a piece with another year to see how he fits.

Good hockey deal.

I think Jost was pretty good when I have seen him in his 1st game against Boston, especially in winning faceoffs plus he was physical too. Not sure if he is as fast as was Sturm. Agree, only time will tell us what he can give to our team.

Sounds like Sturm refused a long-term deal from the Wild at a team-friendly price and thus was dealt.  One less UFA to worry about this summer, but it only tightens up the cap crunch further.  Hopefully the team starts giving Jost some more quality opportunities to see if he can do more in an expanded role.