Pavel Kubina has been traded to Philadelphia for a 2nd and a 5th

Guest brelic

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

posted in chat as well..this doesn't say for who or what, tho.

The Tampa Bay Lightning have traded defenceman Pavel Kubina to the Philadelphia Flyers, pending league approval.

A steady two-way presence on the back-end, Kubina has played with the Lightning (twice), Toronto Maple Leafs and Atlanta Thrashers throughout his career.

Named to the NHL All-Star Game in 2003-04, Kubina would win the Stanley Cup with the Lightning that same season.

Kubina is in the final year of a two-year contract he signed with the Lightning in 2010 with an annual average value of $3.85 million. He will become an unrestricted free agent after this season.

Kubina was held off the ice this week by the Lightning while they tried to deal him. Tampa GM Steve Yzerman asked him for a list of five teams that Kubina would allow a trade to, as per the defenceman'

Haven't really watched Kubina lately. He *used* to be good, but now he's 34 and slow. He hits, so there's that.

Oh, and I would guess that means Luke Schenn is out.

At the end of the day, you can have all the Kubinas and Grossmen you want, but when our goaltenders can't even stop unobstructed, line of sight shots, it won't matter.

Haven't really watched Kubina lately. He *used* to be good, but now he's 34 and slow. He hits, so there's that.

Oh, and I would guess that means Luke Schenn is out.

At the end of the day, you can have all the Kubinas and Grossmen you want, but when our goaltenders can't even stop unobstructed, line of sight shots, it won't matter.

Was really hoping to see the Flyers acquire Schenn.

Oh well. There is almost certainly another deal in the works.

@sbaickerCSN

And yes, something else has to happen -- if not, they're over the 50 contract maximum. But I still can't imagine Nash ...

@SpectorsHockey

As more than a few of you noted, Flyers aren't done, as Kubina become contract number 51, one over the limit. They've gotta move a contract.

eklund

Just had an absolutely fascinating discussion about flyers plans here. Kubina is not the end game. As of now at least. More like 1 of 3

Was really hoping to see the Flyers acquire Schenn.

Oh well. There is almost certainly another deal in the works.

Agree. I also would have preferred Schenn over what is probably a rental. Kind of a steep price to pay for a rental in a year that we probably won't be real contenders. Unless there's some other shrewd move up Homer's sleeve...

So either Kalinski is part of a larger trade, or more likely, he will be sent somewhere for future considerations.

I so desperately want to throw out the "suggestion" of Kalinski to Columbus for Nash, but even I can't crack a joke that ridiculous. That's Ek territory.

Kubina had 3 goals, 8 assists, and was a +1 on the Lightning. The lightning as a team are -33 in goal differential. While I haven't payed much attention to the Lightning this year, that seems pretty good.

Someone's goin somewhere... We're at 50.

entry level deals for players who haven't played the 11 games or more in the pros don't count against the limit. for example, marcel noebels' contract doesn't count. i'm not sure who exactly falls in that catagory, but noebels alone gives the flyers the room for kubina.