*** 2021-22, 2nd Round SC Playoffs: Edmonton Oilers (P2) at Calgary Flames (P1)- (EDM WINS 4-1) ***

EDM vs CGY  

11 members have voted

1. 1. North vs South. Blue vs. Red. Oil vs Fire. You choose!

• 1-- Oilers in 4. Connor and Co. dose the Flames with the quickness of a January blizzard!
    • 2-- Oilers in 5. Cgy finds out that Edm is no Dallas when it comes to offense and fizzle under siege.
    • 3-- Oilers in 6. Very competitive series that sees both teams impose their will, but EDM still proves too much.
    • 4-- Oilers in 7. Classic series where the star power of the Oilers and their young 40 yr old netminder prove the difference
    • 5-- Flames in 4. Calgary burns the Oil, as Edm can't withstand the heat!
    • 6-- Flames in 5. Jacob Markstrom and the Flames make Mike Smith look like he's 50, and the Oil look like their WHL counterparts
    • 7-- Flames in 6. Very good series, but Calgary's overall team depth proves superior
    • 8-- Flames in 7. Epic roller coaster battle, but the Flames are just not gonna be denied their West Finals berth.

This poll is closed to new votes

Just now, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

More Cirelli-like stuff from McLeod....taking one for the team.

Ouch!

On the positive side, he lost those Chiclets years ago.

Just now, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Wow.
Drai really is hurting, badly.

Guy looked like he was skating in molasses just now.
He wasn't overly fast to begin with, now even worse.

His speed improved notably since his draft year, but he's really struggling with the injury right now. If this is what he can do at 35+, he'll still be a beast.

Down 3-1, I am guessing it is "Sea of Red" time for Calgary when they get back home?

This whole series from Game 1 has been nutso.

My upset special is looking better than ever.
Colorado has to be licking their chops...in command of their own series, and the team picked by many most likely to eliminate them, down 1-3 here.

• Like 1

• TropicalFruitGirl26 changed the title to 2021-22, 2nd Round SC Playoffs: Edmonton Oilers (P2) at Calgary Flames (P1)- (EDM Leads 3-1)
9 minutes ago, Villella McMeans said:

Can't believe Calgary didn't at least make it to overtime after tying it up with a miracle goal...one of the most depressing finishes off Calgary ever...☹️☹️☹️

It's a tough loss after fighting their way back into the game, especially with such a once-in-a-lifetime kind of goals to tie it up. The Flames are a dangerous team, and as far as I'm concerned, it's not over until they're lined up and shaking hands with each other.

By the way, it's one of my favourite things about this sport: the players will practically kill each other out there, but when the series ends, they line up and shake on it.

• Like 2

Calgary Flames fall short of evening series with Edmonton Oilers, remain confident despite being on brink

• shilton_kristen.png&h=80&w=80&scale=crop
    Kristen ShiltonESPN NHL reporter

The Calgary Flames needed a small miracle. They almost got it, too.

The Flames trailed the Edmonton Oilers 3-2 in the third period of Game 4 in their second-round playoff series when Rasmus Andersson fired a puck 132 feet from the Flames' blue line that somehow beat Oilers goaltender Mike Smith to tie the game.

It was an improbable play that brought Calgary all the way back from a 3-0 first-period deficit with the hopes of evening the series at 2-2.

That hope was swiftly extinguished when Calgary couldn't hold the fort, falling 5-3 in Game 4 and behind 3-1 in the best-of-seven series.

Calgary now faces elimination in Thursday's Game 5. The Flames have never overcome a 3-1 series hole in franchise history.

"I thought we showed a lot of resolve or resilience," Flames coach Darryl Sutter said. "It was a winnable game for us for sure tonight, and we damn near did it. I like how we played. I know we're in a hole. But we hung around tonight. I thought we played a good game. It was close."

The first period started on a disastrous note for the Flames. Only 21 seconds in, Jacob Markstrom made a poor attempt to play the puck from behind his own net that landed on the stick of Ryan Nugent-Hopkins in front: 1-0 Edmonton.

Zach Hyman made it 2-0 on an ensuing power play. And then Markstrom got beat clean by Evander Kane with just over a minute to go in the opening frame to extend the Oilers' lead further.

Calgary was down 3-0 by then on the scoreboard, but not in spirits.

"Honestly, I don't think we played that bad in the first period," Andersson said. "It was a game of bounces. They got two in the first period, and we showed a lot of effort to crawl back into the game. We played a really tight third period. It was the fourth goal [scored by Nugent-Hopkins] that sucked the life out of us."

Calgary registered its own goals 36 seconds apart in the second frame from Elias Lindholm on the power play and then Mikael Backlund to start mounting a comeback. When Andersson pocketed his long-range goal, he wasn't too surprised, given how the game had gone.

"As soon as I shot it, I saw it went towards the net and I saw [Smith] didn't see it," Andersson said. "I thought to myself real quick, 'This might go in.' And it did. It was a game of bounces both ways. They got one [off Markstrom's error] and we got one."

Markstrom made key saves down the stretch for Calgary in Game 4, including against Leon Draisaitl on the power play right before Andersson tied it. He finished the game with 21 saves on the night (.840 SV%) and will need his best performance of the postseason in Game 5 to keep Calgary going.

"It's part of battling back," Sutter said of Markstrom's night. "You've got to dig in and grab on."

Still, the Flames might need a few more bounces to see this series extended. While Calgary's mood was upbeat after Tuesday's loss, it won't shrink the mountain ahead.

"I thought this was the best game we played in this series," Andersson insisted. "We all believe in our group. We've been a good team all year and been strong on home ice. We have to go home and focus on winning one game at a time. No reason we can't win three in a row."

"There's a reason why we play seven [games]," added Backlund. "We played well tonight. We showed really good character as a group and battled back. Could have gone either way. We know we're strong at home."

• Good Post 1

8 hours ago, Villella McMeans said:

Can't believe Calgary didn't at least make it to overtime after tying it up with a miracle goal...one of the most depressing finishes off Calgary ever...☹️☹️☹️

Hockey gods got even with Calgary.  Counted at least 3 slew foots in period 2 last night. Used to be a deadly sin in hockey. In bett turds nhl it's just another day.

• Like 1

With the series shifting back to Calgary, I would think they take this opportunity for a mental reset and just focus on skating away with a win in Game 5, tossing out anything else that transpired in Games 1-4 because, well...they HAVE to ...or else....

A few things the Flames can do to better their chances:

---Remember they have great team depth and not be afraid to assign match ups to particular players. They  have the last change advantage here.

---If hockey players truly derive energy from raucous home crowds, they will have that in droves for G5. Feed off of it.

---Up the physical tempo of the game. Teams like the Oilers rely on the 'speed kills' method (though Connor McD will STILL do whatever the hell he likes out there against anyone!), so Calgary can use their significant size advantage, intelligently of course, to continue to wear down Oiler players.

---Go all in on the PP, get it working smoothly, and get Edmonton to worry about taking any kinds of penalties because of it.

---Finally, have arena workers seal off Oiler players from THEIR locker rooms.
Hey...what's good for the Oil is good for the Flame, right? :bigteeth: 

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
  • Like 1

Darryl Sutter, the head coach of the Calgary Flames, said a lot with little words as he normally does. This time it was after Game 3 of the second-round series against the Edmonton Oilers. He spoke on the use of the forwards for the Oilers and how there aren’t line matchups.

"They've only played eight forwards... so I wouldn't call it line matchups." Darryl Sutter talks about matching lines against McDavid and Draisaitl. #StanleyCup https://t.co/gaVLygvaeg

The Flames have used their entire forward group much more than the Oilers and Sutter didn’t seem pleased with the question, noting that he can’t really line match with the use of Edmonton’s better players.

The Use of the Oilers’ Forwards in Series vs. Flames

The Oilers have and will continue to be a team that relies heavily on their top players for offence and playing time.

That’s what you can expect when the best player in the world and another top player in the NHL are on the same team, even the same line. This season has brought about a little bit of change in that the Oilers finally have some legitimate wingers and depth upfront.

The addition of Evander Kane mid-season, signing of Zach Hyman this past offseason, the emergence of Kailer Yamamoto and Jesse Puljujarvi in middle-six roles, and acquiring Warren Foegele in a trade really helped them. When the Oilers played with 12 forwards this season and moved Ryan Nugent-Hopkins to the third line, the ice time evened out. Combined with Ryan McLeod centering the fourth line and deserving ice time, the lines were more even and more in line with that of any NHL team.

Playoffs are a different story and must-win games. Connor McDavid is on another level and has elevated his game even more than at any point in his career which didn’t seem possible. The Oilers went through a tight series in Round 1 against the Kings in which they went down 3-2 in the series. Game 6 and Game 7 were games they then had to have in order to advance out of the first round for the first time since 2017. Lines change when something isn’t working, it’s the first thing coaches normally do. So that’s what happened with the Oilers late in Game 5 of Round 1 putting McDavid, Leon Draisaitl, and Kane together. It worked then and continued to do so.

Since Jay Woodcroft loaded up the top line, they have of course played a ton, which makes perfect sense. All three members have the cardio and ability to play more than 20 minutes a night and double shift throughout a game. They are always out there for the power play and even penalty kill sometimes.

"They're only using eight forwards." - Sutter on the Oilers. EDM has eight forwards averaging more than 10:00/game in this series. Ryan (9:35), Foegele (7:40), Kassian (7:12), Archibald (6:57) all averaging single digits.

The Oilers have been able to beat the Flames in three games with mainly contributions from the top lines. Why would Woodcroft change up the lines? The answer, he wouldn’t and will continue to run with these lines as long as they are producing for the Oilers and they are winning hockey games. Looking at Mark Spector’s tweet above and the ice time of the bottom four forwards for the Oilers in this series, they aren’t utilized the same as how other teams would use their bottom-six forwards. A benefit the Oilers have is many of their better players can kill penalties, so they are a threat while down a man and they get more ice time.

Oilers Can Make a Legitimate Run By Sticking With Their Lines

Defence and goaltending aside since that is a much longer conversation, the Oilers have the depth and right players to take them on a run, even past their likely Round 3 opponents in the Colorado Avalanche. The Oilers have had 14 players score goals in the playoffs thus far, nine of which are forwards. The only forwards without goals are Foegele, Josh Archibald, and Derek Ryan, three of the players who have lacked playing time in the Oilers’ Round 2 series.

Sure, these players have been given less opportunity to contribute offensively, but other teams get offensive production from their bottom-six regularly. If the Oilers’ top players are providing the team with three-plus goals a game, they are going to get the shifts over the other players. The Oilers are known for their offence and have had to rely on it many times this season to outscore opponents. They tried to do so in Game 1 against the Flames and have scored four or more goals in a game in eight of the 11 postseason contests thus far against two good goaltenders.

Connor McDavid Evander Kane Edmonton Oilers

McDavid is on a torrid pace and has 25 points in 11 games, 10 of them multi-point games. He has seven consecutive multi-point games which tie him for second all-time behind Wayne Gretzky (eight games played). Not to be forgotten is Draisaitl who has 22 points and is the first player in NHL history to record four assists in a period as well as record three-plus points in four consecutive playoff games in the same season.

Kane is on an absolute tear with goals and has 12 in 11 games played. He has three hat tricks since joining the Oilers, two of which have come in the playoffs. He has five multi-goal games in these playoffs and has scored five goals in the past two games against the Flames. Another Flame killer is Hyman who has a goal in each of the four games in Round 2 for a total of five goals. Nugent-Hopkins also had a great game in Game 4 and stepped up to win a very important game for the Oilers.

To be successful, the Oilers have to continue to use their top players as much as they can. No team seems to be able to slow them down and they have shown no sign that they will anytime soon.

https://thehockeywriters.com/flames-sutter-comments-oilers-forward-usage-true/

Edited by JR Ewing
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

These water usage charts always crack me up:

r0fckyq41u191.jpg

That's a great chart. I guess a significant amount of people go the shower after each period, like I used to do in fact...

5 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Calgary looking all business tonight.

Leading 2-0 with 12 minutes left in the 2nd and just playing a solid, Flames-like game.
Oilers are gonna have to find the next gear to get in this one.

I think they found that gear ;)

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1