yave1964

Do spezza or getzlaf belong in hall  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Are either a hofer

• Both
    • Just spezza
    • Just getzlaf
    • Neither

Simple question two long time near elite players in getzlaf and spezza recently retired. Are either or both or even neither a hall of famer?

Getzlaf final numbers include a Stanley cup win 1157 games with 1018 points. He spent his entire career with one team. He is 49th all time in assists played in 3 all star games and was once voted 2nd team all star. He won gold in the Olympics with team Canada.

Spezza played 1248 games with 995 points. He spent most of his career in Ottawa then 5 years in Dallas then 3 in Toronto. He appeared in two All star games. He also played a key role for Canada in the Olympics.

Similarity scores both make the top of each other's lists along with Rick Nash and Joe pavelski. 

So again how do you see their hall chances?

I answered just Getzlaf, but I think even he is borderline.

I haven't used @JR Ewing 's measurement, but I'm betting if I do that neither do. I'm good with that, too.

i like both players. I'm more of a purist with a high standard for the hall, so neither for me, but Getzlaf is closer.

• Like 3

Although they are truly very similar as direct contemporaries I see getzlaf as slightly better and would vote for him while voting against spezza. Spezza may have a slight edge on peak value while getzlaf was a better player for longer. I have always saw spezza as a bit of a dissapointment like he shoulda done more but that is perception based off my opinion. That senators team for half a dozen years is the best team in a quarter century to not win a cup and you tend to blame the stars. 

So while I didn't like getzlaf I thought that he and Perry and teemu we're a bunch of whiners IMHO he was better than spezza. Neither are locks both are close I think getzlaf barely clears the hurdle and spezza is barely Short.

• Like 2

Both of these players have had great careers. Getzlaf is the one that is most likely going to make it into the HOF while Spezza will make it into the Ring Of Honor for the Ottawa Senators. 

Ryan Getzlaf has to go down as one of the best puck dishers in the league. His passing skills were a thing of beauty. 

• Like 1