Kraken Acquire Bjorkstrand from CBJ

Brewin Flames

Bjorkstrand traded to Kraken by Blue Jackets

Forward had 57 points in 80 games for Columbus last season

NHL.com @NHLdotcom
 31 minutes ago
  •  
cut.jpg

Oliver Bjorkstrand was traded to the Seattle Kraken by the Columbus Blue Jackets on Friday for a third- and fourth-round pick in the 2023 NHL Draft.

The 27-year-old forward set NHL career highs with 28 goals, 29 assists and 57 points in 80 games for the Blue Jackets last season. He has four seasons remaining on a five-year, $27 million contract ($5.4 million average annual value) he signed with Columbus on Jan. 6, 2021.

"It was a difficult decision to trade Oliver, who has given so much to our organization over the past seven years," Columbus general manager Jarmo Kekalainen said. "However, a move like this needed to be made in order for us to be (NHL) salary cap compliant after the Johnny Gaudreau and Patrik Laine signings. We are thankful for Oliver's many contributions to our club, on and off the ice, and wish he and his wife, Jill, all the best in Seattle."

The Blue Jackets signed Gaudreau, a forward, to a seven-year, $68.25 million contract ($9.75 AAV) as an unrestricted free agent July 13. They signed Laine, a forward who was a restricted free agent, to a four-year, $34.8 million contract ($8.7 million AAV) earlier Friday.

Selected by Columbus in the third round (No. 89) of the 2013 NHL Draft, Bjorkstrand has 234 points (111 goals, 123 assists) in 382 regular-season games over seven NHL seasons. He has 12 points (six goals, six assists) in 31 Stanley Cup Playoff games.

Edited by Brewin Flames
  • Like 1

• Brewin Flames changed the title to Kraken Acquire Bjorkstrand from CBJ
3 hours ago, FireDillabaugh said:

All about cap relief to give room to get the Laine extension done.

Bjorkstrand should have been a Flyer but oh no Hextall had to draft Goulbourne...

...and that was an outstanding pick....all 11 NHL games.

:bonkingheadonwall:

Edited by OccamsRazor
#boubonup

So i am trying to figure out where Bjorkstrand fits in??

Do they plan on bumping Mccann or Eberle down or do they slot BJorkstrand on the 3rd line bumping Kuhlman down or out??

I guess it is a good problem to have...

9 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Bjorkstrand should have been a Flyer but oh no Hextall had to draft Goulbourne...

...and that was an outstanding pick....all 11 NHL games.

:bonkingheadonwall:

I'm not too upset about that.  People picked someone else 88 times before someone drafted Bjorkstrand.

And the Flyers "development" people would have destroyed him anyway.

7 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I'm not too upset about that.  People picked someone else 88 times before someone drafted Bjorkstrand.

And the Flyers "development" people would have destroyed him anyway.

I got that but I can't worry about everyone else I have to worry about the Flyers.

And to not take a skill guy and take a goon who is in the ECHL well not sure WTF Ron was thinking...

44 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I got that but I can't worry about everyone else I have to worry about the Flyers.

And to not take a skill guy and take a goon who is in the ECHL well not sure WTF Ron was thinking...

It's not really about everyone else or anyone else.  The point is that it's important to remember neither was anything at the time. At 88 or whatever, it's a random die roll. Neither was in the NHL and neither was in the ECHL at that time.

We have benefit of hindsight but given butterfly effect and considering how terrible the Flyers' development of players is, had the Flyers drafted him whose to say Bjorkstrand isn't everyone's favorite gym teacher at Herningsholmskolen by now?

Edited by ruxpin

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

It's not really about everyone else or anyone else.  The point is that it's important to remember neither was anything at the time. At 88 or whatever, it's a random die roll. Neither was in the NHL and neither was in the ECHL at that time.

We have benefit of hindsight but given butterfly effect and considering how terrible the Flyers' development of players is, had the Flyers drafted him whose to say Bjorkstrand isn't everyone's favorite gym teacher at Herningsholmskolen by now?

See that too is where you are wrong in my opinion draw up any scenario you want the Flyers DID NOT NEED A GOON.

I get what you're saying about what they were then but find me a ranking somewhere anywhere that had him ranked behind Goulbourne.

Hindsight or not I said it back in the day as soon as the draft was over even said they should have taken Duclair too instead of who they took.

Bottom line Ron missed. End of story.

And now with hindsight yes we can now verify it.

It seems the scout missed big time on their projection.

57 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

See that too is where you are wrong in my opinion draw up any scenario you want the Flyers DID NOT NEED A GOON.

I get what you're saying about what they were then but find me a ranking somewhere anywhere that had him ranked behind Goulbourne.

Hindsight or not I said it back in the day as soon as the draft was over even said they should have taken Duclair too instead of who they took.

Bottom line Ron missed. End of story.

And now with hindsight yes we can now verify it.

It seems the scout missed big time on their projection.

I can't argue with you on that.  Goulbourne was a dumb pick on its face. In real time.

I don't know if Bjorkstrand would have been the pick if they didn't take Goulbourne or if we're now talking about a different mistake.   At the time, I didn't know Bjorkstrand from Dr. Bunsen Honeydew (nor Goulbourne, for that matter) but as a matter of profile, he seems the more intelligent pick the, for sure.

One of Hextall's biggest faults, if not THE biggest, was giving in to the "smartest person in the room" syndrome.  This pick is probably an example, but you see it in the Jay O'Brien pick, among others, and some of the postmortem stories of the office political atmosphere/culture.

Hard to prove the negative and maybe just my cynicism, but I still doubt it would have mattered because I'm betting we'd have destroyed his career by now or he's bought out/traded and scoring two goals/game when playing against the Flyers.

Edited by ruxpin

25 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

One of Hextall's biggest faults, if not THE biggest, was giving in to the "smartest person in the room" syndrome.  This pick is probably an example, but you see it in the Jay O'Brien pick, among others, and some of the postmortem stories of the office political atmosphere/culture.

Hard to prove the negative and maybe just my cynicism, but I still doubt it would have mattered because I'm betting we'd have destroyed his career by now or he's bought out/traded and scoring two goals/game when playing against the Flyers

I agree with all of this.

And completely could see them ruining him and him not having the career he did have.

Goulbourne was a knuckle dragger and they love those types in Philly because well one time a long time ago they were the Bullies.

This issue still plagues them today see the goon they signed to a 4 year deal...

:PopcornSmiley2:

Edited by OccamsRazor
Stupid phone!!!
  • Good Post 1

7 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

That was Homer....

6 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

You're right Homer's last draft left a lasting impression.

Apologies to Ronald...

:beer:

Hmff

I didn't catch that either. Good call!

16 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

"Well, OK, Homer if that's where you want to go with the pick, boss."

But you're gonna go Bjorkstrand and not Duclair or Guentzel?

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

10 hours ago, radoran said:

But you're gonna go Bjorkstrand and not Duclair or Guentzel?

And of those i was aware back then of Bjorkstrand and Duclair i wasn't aware really of Guentzel and yes he would have been a welcome pick too.

But everything is going to be ok now we have Deslauriers!!!!!! We can finally complete Homer's vision!!!

:DancingGrape:

Edited by OccamsRazor
#boubonup
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1