MacKinnon signs 100 million dollar contract

yave1964

WOOOOOOOOW.

Coming into the final year of a team friendly deal Nathan MacKinnon made it clear that 1) he wanted to make some serious bank to make up for the short deal he took last time and 2) he wanted to remain an Avalanche.

Mission accomplished.

8 years at 12.6 million 100.8 million dollars over the life of the deal. 

One hell of a player, just reaching his peak years with a cup and a rep as one of the best competitors in the game today, he is signed through 2031 to stay high in Colorado. Lots of money, again, as i have mentioned elsewhere the cap has been rumored to be going up seriously in the next few years and by then this may look like a bargain but for now damn thats a lot of money.

• Good Post 1

Nobody deserves to be paid most more than this guy I remember when he purposely took less and said it was so Colorado could afford more players to win the Cup and by God he did everything he said he'd do so now he can demand and deserve the highest price now mission accomplished for everyone I wish more players were more loyal and honourable like this guy👍

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Villella McMeans said:

Nobody deserves to be paid most more than this guy I remember when he purposely took less and said it was so Colorado could afford more players to win the Cup and by God he did everything he said he'd do so now he can demand and deserve the highest price now mission accomplished for everyone I wish more players were more loyal and honourable like this guy👍

When did he "take less"?

His contract previous was signed when he was a 50 point player lol. It was comparable to scheifele at the time. He got so good that he was criminally underpaid

In any case, good for him. He deserves this contract.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

When did he "take less"?

His contract previous was signed when he was a 50 point player lol. It was comparable to scheifele at the time. He got so good that he was criminally underpaid

In any case, good for him. He deserves this contract.

I saw an interview with him being interviewed just after signing his extension he said it could've asked for what McJesus was getting and said he wanted a Cup more than money and specifically said taking less was good for the team to get closer to a Cup...think he said he'd ask for raise after winning...he sounded serious too not joking and laughing during the interview...that was years ago when he signed his extension obviously but I'll try find that interview...on Sportsnet or TSN it was...

I remember those quotes too. And to some people/players, McKinnon is seen as the current best player in the League, at least the most complete. And yeah, he improved a lot. Remember when Drouin and him had a similar impact and stats when they were in Halifax and some scouts were still hesitating between picking him or Drouin...

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Villella McMeans said:

I saw an interview with him being interviewed just after signing his extension he said it could've asked for what McJesus was getting and said he wanted a Cup more than money and specifically said taking less was good for the team to get closer to a Cup...think he said he'd ask for raise after winning...he sounded serious too not joking and laughing during the interview...that was years ago when he signed his extension obviously but I'll try find that interview...on Sportsnet or TSN it was...

MacKinnon is incredible hockey player, is worth every penny of that contract and surely more but, sorry, but that doesn't make any sense. MacKinnon signed his contract in July of 2016, a full year before McDavid signed his own extension. At $925,000 + performance bonus, he was already making what McDavid was getting.

Edited by JR Ewing
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

MacKinnon is incredible hockey player, is worth every penny of that contract and surely more but, sorry, but that doesn't make any sense. MacKinnon signed his contract in July of 2016, a full year before McDavid signed his own extension. At $925,000 + performance bonus, he was already making what McDavid was getting.

I just remember him saying he didn't ask to be the highest paid player in NHL when he could have...he purposely signed for less than he could have have for.

14 minutes ago, Villella McMeans said:

I just remember him saying he didn't ask to be the highest paid player in NHL when he could have...he purposely signed for less than he could have have for.

I should hope that he didn't ask to be the highest-paid player in the NHL after his entry-level deal, because Sakic would have laughed him out of the room at the time. He's a wonderful hockey player, likely tracking to a Hall of Fame career, but at the time he was coming off of 63, 38 and 52 point seasons with no visibility/votes for major awards. My guess is that he said something more along the lines of "I left some money on the table so the team could have some more cap space", which others have done as well.

But $6M when he could have had $12M or more? No way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JR Ewing said:

I should hope that he didn't ask to be the highest-paid player in the NHL after his entry-level deal, because Sakic would have laughed him out of the room at the time. He's a wonderful hockey player, likely tracking to a Hall of Fame career, but at the time he was coming off of 63, 38 and 52 point seasons with no visibility/votes for major awards. My guess is that he said something more along the lines of "I left some money on the table so the team could have some more cap space", which others have done as well.

But $6M when he could have had $12M or more? No way.

Yeah that was the gist of that interview how he didn't ask for all that he could and just took whatever they offered him without negotiating or holding out etc...

The interview was around 2015 or so maybe 2017 but can't remember date...so at that time I remember he took 6M when the max was 10 or so...I remember McDavid getting 9M or so when McDavid could have gotten league maximum of 10 or so...or maybe I'm off by an M or so...I think Sean Monahan got 6M too around then so MacKinnon settling for same a Monahan was big news...

• Like 1