Preseason Game #1 Flyers vs. Bruins (Flyers 2 Bruins 1)

OccamsRazor

Best Flyer i have seen in a long long time. Olle Lycksell best player i have seen at forward.

But hard to tell on a few of them with all the similar numbers...too many damn 50's and 40's out there.

Weird having to think hard who the players are. I will say this they were good at moving their feet.

That shot of Foerster will be hard to keep down for long. York, Zamula and Attard looked solid.

Even the Belpedio defenseman wasn't bad. Rousell looked better than Anisimov.

Cates brothers won the game....the Sota twins.... 

:PopcornSmiley2:

• Like 2

9 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

It was bad hockey on both sides.

I only saw about 5 minutes of the 2nd and the 3rd period but I have to say I enjoyed it.

Sure the pure skill wasn't really there like in days past but I enjoyed watching the whole team compete and skate till the end.

It was hard to keep track of all the new numbers and hard to even seen which numbers were which.

Other than that I thought they hustled and played as a team and weren't going through the motions.

The group lacks skill but bring skating and youth and are trying to make a spot for them selves.

And big turn from what I saw last year.

I wish I would have got to see more of Sandström and how he looked in the crease but reports said he was sound.

So only the first preseason game but a good start I say.

In fact if a lot of kids make this team I think Torts will overachieve.

Which will knock them out the running for Bedard. 

But it will make us slightly less pissed when Uncle Gary hands him to Chicago or Pittsburgh due to their aging stars need replenishing...

• Like 3

I caught some of the Flyers/Bruins game, NHL Network was showing it but with the Boston broadcast crew, which I can't listen to. But Sandstrom looked good in the 1st when the refs were on a roll, calling everything. Flyers were shorthanded 4 times I think, the Leafs twice. Anisimov did not impress me; looked like a rust-bucket but hopefully he'll shake it off. I'm positive Fletcher will sign him (and overpay him in the process).

The Leafs/Sens game was much better. I don't know why Fletcher couldn't (or wouldn't) go after Debrincat. He was fairly expensive I guess - I think it cost the Sens 3 picks incl a 1R - but he's the real deal. He may be small but he's not a washed up >30-year old, which the Flyers seem to covet for some reason. So instead of 3 picks for Debrincat Fletcher spends 3 picks on Tony DeAngelo, a 26-year old who's been moved 3 times already, each time due to his inability to work and play well with others. Nice work Fletch, you really know how to pick em.

• pilldoc changed the title to Preseason Game #1 Flyers vs. Bruins (Flyers 2 Bruins 1)

https://www.broadstreethockey.com/2022/9/25/23370734/hockey-is-back

"Goaltending was good for the Flyers this game. Felix Sandstorm was very good in his half of the game stopping all 17 shots he faced. Troy Grosenick was also solid stopping 14 of the 15 shots he faced. With uncertainty over who the backup will be this season, the goaltending battle is one of the more intriguing stories of the off-season.

There was plenty of rough stuff in this game, like most preseason games. A total of 66 penalty minutes including four fighting majors and two misconducts. Regardless, it is always nice to see teammates stand up for one another, the way Wade Allison did for Antoine Roussel who is on a PTO.

The Cates brothers shined in this game as they have all offseason. They both played great in the rookie games against the New York Rangers and carried that into tonight. Don’t be surprised to see one or both of them in the Flyers lineup opening night.

Special teams was solid for the Flyers with the penalty kill going 0-6 and the power play going 1-5. Obviously the big guys for the Bruins did not play, but hopefully this was more of a systematic improvement over a the personal. We all know how much of an issue special teams was last season, so this will be something to keep an eye on for the rest of pre-season.

The Flyers will get back at it tomorrow with more training sessions and the will face the Buffalo Sabres Tuesday night on the road for the second of six preseason games"

image.png.58553a21a35fca796272995130a34dfa.png

image.thumb.png.2a1a414e8705dc3f074fe6328051d77d.png

• Like 2

5 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I only saw about 5 minutes of the 2nd and the 3rd period but I have to say I enjoyed it.

Sure the pure skill wasn't really there like in days past but I enjoyed watching the whole team compete and skate till the end.

It was hard to keep track of all the new numbers and hard to even seen which numbers were which.

Other than that I thought they hustled and played as a team and weren't going through the motions.

The group lacks skill but bring skating and youth and are trying to make a spot for them selves.

And big turn from what I saw last year.

I wish I would have got to see more of Sandström and how he looked in the crease but reports said he was sound.

So only the first preseason game but a good start I say.

In fact if a lot of kids make this team I think Torts will overachieve.

Which will knock them out the running for Bedard. 

But it will make us slightly less pissed when Uncle Gary hands him to Chicago or Pittsburgh due to their aging stars need replenishing...

The lack of skill was what I meant by bad hockey. Otherwise, I agree with what you say. There was more effort there than last year. A change towards hard work and effort is about all we can hope for this year and we might just get it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

There was more effort there than last year.

My son's U11 soccer team has more effort than last years Flyers!....But hey, It's something to build off of! ;)

I'll be at next Sat game in boston. Son passed on this trip after 5 straight years.... he's lost his passion for this team. Bringing my 7 year old daughter. She CAN'T WAIT to ride the train!..... :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3