Minnesota Wild @ Calgary Flames, Wednesday 12-7-22, 7:00pm, Scotiabank Saddledome

MNSOTA

Here is how Russo said regarding our 2nd period.

Michael Russo

@RussoHockey

·

1h

Just such a sloppy start to this period for Minnesota. PK goal, careless icing by Greenway, he gets hurt on ensuing faceoff, tie game a shift later, careless penalty, bad d zone coverage. Recipe for crater

• Uggh... 1

7 minutes ago, ClusterChuck said:

Wild are about as sharp as this site tonight.

I do no know what to say. Just a stupid loss as I could imagine. With all chances we had to win but we were able to embarrass our selves in seconds during beginning of the 2nd period and at the end of a 3rd period too. WOW.  I think for that game should be Gustavsson in the net. 4 goals per game in our net is too much for Fleury and he started 5 games out 6 last games according to the radio commentators.  His GAA still is not as good for the playoffs team.  Tonight Buffalo was able to beat Blue Jackets team with a score 9:4. Their Tage Thompson placed 5 goals out of 9 and also made 1 assist during that game. We need badly for our team a 2nd Fiala. One Kaprizov is not enough. Or our other players should step up more to produce in a consistent matter. We probably need to produce 4-5 goals per game if we want to win most games.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Alexandron said:

I do no know what to say. Just a stupid loss as I could imagine. With all chances we had to win but we were able to embarrass our selves in seconds during beginning of the 2nd period and at the end of a 3rd period too. WOW.  I think for that game should be Gustavsson in the net. 4 goals per game in our net is too much for Fleury and he started 5 games out 6 last games according to the radio commentators.  His GAA still is not as good for the playoffs team.  Tonight Buffalo was able to beat Blue Jackets team with a score 9:4. Their Tage Thompson placed 5 goals out of 9 and also made 1 assist during that game. We need badly for our team a 2nd Fiala. One Kaprizov is not enough. Or our other players should step up more to produce in a consistent matter. We probably need to produce 4-5 goals per game if we want to win most games.

What concerns me is 2 straight games of letting up multiple goals in a short span. Granted Dallas is known for late surges and has the firepower to do so. Calgary...Not so much..
Maybe a Time out would've helped but when do you use it? 
After the quick PP goal? no...the next, Maybe. But they have to be the next shift to settle down and that's on the players on the ice to get back and adjust to whatever the other team is doing.
Then we go 30 minutes down 3-2 with no scoring and we tie it up....Only to give it back 12 seconds later. 

I don't think anyone thought we'd get the same #'s from Foligno, Hartman and a few others like last year, But Moose isn't close to the same, Boldy is on pace for maybe 10 goals this year. Sophmore slump??
He's not as smooth or confident as last season. Hartman is gone for a long time and a lot of that magic goes with him too.
Lines 2,3,4 may not even total Fiala's numbers if things stay the same.
DuHaime gone is a big piece of the puzzle too given his energy and seems to not always follow the set plays. That leads to better chances imo.

Almost every goal last night by both teams were by deflections or bouncing off people. I can't blame Fleury for those, They just bounced the wrong way this time.
Our D looks confused and puck watches when momentum turns and that allows such shots/deflections to happen.
Need Brodin back ASAP. 

We shouldn't need 4-5 goals scored to win. That's not our history but I'd be happy if we showed we could on a consistent basis.

Edited by ClusterChuck
  • Good Post 2

Did anyone notice the ice time for the 4th line?

I’m not sure but I believe the 4th line seemed to miss shifts in the 3rd last night. 
With their continued good play and the Boldy line struggles I would consider putting Boldy with Shaw and Dewar. 
What can it hurt?

• Like 1