New Wild Podcast...

CreaseAndAssist

On 9/23/2023 at 7:44 PM, CreaseAndAssist said:

Episode #22: Something To Prove

In this episode, @MNSOTA and Kalisha and I discuss which players have the most to prove this season, we also talk about Calen Addison's new deal and what will be expected of him moving forward as well as answering listener questions too!  Check it out!  If you would like to participate you can ask a question here or Tweet / Post at us on X and we'll answer.  

No doubt Rossi has the most to prove this season. It’s a no brainer. I think Gusty is the real deal. Be shocked if he doesn’t have a great season. I’m so much more calm

when he’s in the net compared to the Flower. And of course if Addison doesn’t improve his defensive play he will be sent down or traded 

Edited by Jimtown guy
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Jimtown guy said:

No doubt Rossi has the most to prove this season. It’s a no brainer. I think Gusty is the real deal. Be shocked if he doesn’t have a great season. I’m so much more calm

when he’s in the net compared to the Flower. And of course if Addison doesn’t improve his defensive play he will be sent down or traded 

No one really seems to be doubting on Gustavsson so far, but it will be interesting to see if he is used more like a true NHL #1 goaltender than the rotation they mostly used last season until the playoffs.  I would think Addison would be on a fairly short leash.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Episode #23: Wild Fans Speak: 2023-24 Wild Season Preview

I tried to attempt my Wild Fans Speak in podcast form.  The background noise from my Dad being at a bar is a bit annoying but lots of great discussion as we talk about the upcoming season.  We also discuss the recent contract extensions of Zuccarello, M. Foligno and Hartman too.  Check it out!  

• 3 weeks later...

Episode #24: Trick or Treat?

In this episode, Kalisha, Theresa and I discuss what is the scariest thing about this Minnesota Wild right now, as well as our thoughts on some smaller topics and listener questions too.  Jon Merrill may not appreciate this one, but we hope you will!  Check it out!  

Episode #25: Get Our Sh%t Together

In this episode, myself, @MNSOTA and Kalisha discuss the Minnesota Wild's slow start, whether or not to shake up the lines and we answer a ton of listener questions too!  Lots and lots of different topics covered.  Check it out!  

Episode #27: Turkey with a side of Swedish Meatballs

In this episode, Kalisha, @MNSOTA and I discuss what we're thankful for to this point in the Wild season; we also play a game Turkey or Tofu-rkey and answer listener questions and finish it with Theresa's take.  We hope everyone has a happy and safe holidays even if the Wild aren't giving us much to cheer about!  

• Thanks 1

On 11/18/2023 at 6:28 PM, CreaseAndAssist said:

Episode #27: Turkey with a side of Swedish Meatballs

In this episode, Kalisha, @MNSOTA and I discuss what we're thankful for to this point in the Wild season; we also play a game Turkey or Tofu-rkey and answer listener questions and finish it with Theresa's take.  We hope everyone has a happy and safe holidays even if the Wild aren't giving us much to cheer about!  

Thanks for posting all your episodes.

Happy and safe Holidays to you too and to all our fans as well! Is Smoked Turkey as a Part of Swedish Meatballs sounds better? 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Alexandron said:

Happy and safe Holidays to you too and to all our fans as well! Is Smoked Turkey as a Part of Swedish Meatballs sounds better? 

LIG. Thanks also for the link of Kalisha's very detailed article at hockeywilderness.com "A Forgotten Prospect Could make Noise for the Wild Soon". Nice written.

• Like 1

On 11/21/2023 at 12:28 PM, Alexandron said:

LIG. Thanks also for the link of Kalisha's very detailed article at hockeywilderness.com "A Forgotten Prospect Could make Noise for the Wild Soon". Nice written.

I will pass that along to her, she will appreciate the compliment!  Feel free to ask questions if you'd like.  Our next show is this next Saturday.  

• Thanks 1

On 11/21/2023 at 12:01 PM, Alexandron said:

I am not sure I've had smoked Turkey, but Swedish Meatballs sound terrific too.  We had a good holidays even if the Wild again gave us another two blah efforts.  

13 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

I will pass that along to her, she will appreciate the compliment!  Feel free to ask questions if you'd like.  Our next show is this next Saturday.  

Thanks. Hopefully, with a new Head Coach we will see Firstov sooner. It seems , according to the Kalisha's article, he is practically ready for NHL appearance.

31 minutes ago, Alexandron said:

Thanks. Hopefully, with a new Head Coach we will see Firstov sooner. It seems , according to the Kalisha's article, he is practically ready for NHL appearance.

The Wild have zero cap space right now (roughly $40,000). The Wild can only call up certain players from Iowa to keep them under the cap threshold. Basically, any Iowa player making more than $800,000 won't be called up because the Wild will exceed the cap. 

And Guerin shot the team in the foot handing out all those contract extensions with NMC's and expecting a bunch of 30-somethings to keep performing at a high level. 

• Uggh... 1

3 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

The Wild have zero cap space right now (roughly $40,000). The Wild can only call up certain players from Iowa to keep them under the cap threshold. Basically, any Iowa player making more than $800,000 won't be called up because the Wild will exceed the cap. 

And Guerin shot the team in the foot handing out all those contract extensions with NMC's and expecting a bunch of 30-somethings to keep performing at a high level. 

Anyone hear Guerin's pathetic comment about not wanting to bully the players.  Dean was hardly a bully to any of the Wild players and if #97 and #12 felt bullied then that's sad.  They were simply being asked to perform at a level that matched their salaries.  #97 may have had the points but the goal scoring tailed off until recently meanwhile Boldy is still can't get out of his own head.  

And as far as bullying went, Guerin should look in the mirror as he supposedly shredded the team two weeks ago.  But now he burns Dean with a comment like that?  Pot, meet kettle...

Guerin should be in the crosshairs now, too bad Leipold loves him.  We'll see if empty seats kill that love.  

1 hour ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Anyone hear Guerin's pathetic comment about not wanting to bully the players.  Dean was hardly a bully to any of the Wild players and if #97 and #12 felt bullied then that's sad.  They were simply being asked to perform at a level that matched their salaries.  #97 may have had the points but the goal scoring tailed off until recently meanwhile Boldy is still can't get out of his own head.  

And as far as bullying went, Guerin should look in the mirror as he supposedly shredded the team two weeks ago.  But now he burns Dean with a comment like that?  Pot, meet kettle...

Guerin should be in the crosshairs now, too bad Leipold loves him.  We'll see if empty seats kill that love.  

Jesus, bully the players? Really? I agree, what does he call he did two weeks ago in Sweden? Fika?

At first I was excited about Guerin coming in here, taking names and kicking butt. And what he did last season using the cap space was impressive. But then once he frees up cap space, he proceeds to chew it up by signing Zuccarello, Foligno, and Hartman, three players that could have fetched something at the trade deadline if the team tanked as it is doing now. Or if they had another good season, they get paid. And I have no problem paying these guys. It's the NMC's he's handing out. He chews up the cap space and then locks the team in. This is almost worse than Fletcher...

• Like 1

On 11/28/2023 at 6:18 PM, IllaZilla said:

Jesus, bully the players? Really? I agree, what does he call he did two weeks ago in Sweden? Fika?

At first I was excited about Guerin coming in here, taking names and kicking butt. And what he did last season using the cap space was impressive. But then once he frees up cap space, he proceeds to chew it up by signing Zuccarello, Foligno, and Hartman, three players that could have fetched something at the trade deadline if the team tanked as it is doing now. Or if they had another good season, they get paid. And I have no problem paying these guys. It's the NMC's he's handing out. He chews up the cap space and then locks the team in. This is almost worse than Fletcher...

I agree and I said as much on our Wild Fans Speak show.  No reason to feel he HAD to sign them before the season.  The smarter move was to wait, probably sell and if you still liked them bring them back and enjoy the rewards of being a seller at the deadline.  

Instead he boxes himself in and has no move to make other than the obvious choice of just swapping out Dean and hoping it salvages another one-&-done playoff run.  

Crease And Assist: Episode #28 - The Wreck of the Evason Fitzgerald

In this episode Kalisha, @MNSOTA and myself discuss the coaching change, why it happened and whether the team's recent boost is a sign of things to come or just a temporary effect?  We also answer listener questions too.  Check it out!  

Crease And Assist: Episode #29: Honeymoon's Over

In this episode, @MNSOTA & Kalisha discuss the end of the honeymoon for the Wild after back-to-back losses.  They also gift Santa and Krampus awards you won't want to miss as well as answering listener questions and Theresa's take.  Check it out!  

Edited by CreaseAndAssist

• 2 weeks later...

Episode #30: Front Office Melo-Drama

In this episode, Kalisha and I discuss the latest shake up around the Minnesota Wild front offices, we discuss which song best describes the 2023-24 season and answer a bunch of listener questions too!  Its our last episode of 2023!  We will see you all next year!  

• 3 weeks later...

Crease And Assist: Episode #31: Minnesota M*A*S*H Ward

In this episode, Kalisha and myself discuss the Wild's injury woes, New Year's Resolutions and we discuss team toughness as well as answer a bunch of listener questions too!  We also finish it up by talking about NHL rumors about expansion sites too.  Check it out!  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Crease And Assist: Episode #31: Minnesota M*A*S*H Ward

In this episode, Kalisha and myself discuss the Wild's injury woes, New Year's Resolutions and we discuss team toughness as well as answer a bunch of listener questions too!  We also finish it up by talking about NHL rumors about expansion sites too.  Check it out!  

Just finished listening this episode. You , Kalisha and Theresa bring some thoughts to think about future Wild perspectives, how to protect star players, how to be more grittier especially against Jets. Talks about enforcers for the team are important too. You are right regarding the role of NHL to take care of star players like McDavid, Matthews, Bedard, Kaprizov... to prevent their injuries. I think that was done in a past for Gretzky protection. Without stars hockey is losing attraction. To place Maroon in the line with Kaprizov is kind of questionable answer. I agree with you for that part, but how about of insertion of enforcers (to build among prospects) into our defense. Maybe that will help to make our team more grittier. Personally for me, Kulikov was an example of enforcer in a past for Kaprizov's protection. I do not think we have those type of players now in defense position. Not sure yet about Bogosian.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2024 at 11:39 PM, Alexandron said:

Just finished listening this episode. You , Kalisha and Theresa bring some thoughts to think about future Wild perspectives, how to protect star players, how to be more grittier especially against Jets. Talks about enforcers for the team are important too. You are right regarding the role of NHL to take care of star players like McDavid, Matthews, Bedard, Kaprizov... to prevent their injuries. I think that was done in a past for Gretzky protection. Without stars hockey is losing attraction. To place Maroon in the line with Kaprizov is kind of questionable answer. I agree with you for that part, but how about of insertion of enforcers (to build among prospects) into our defense. Maybe that will help to make our team more grittier. Personally for me, Kulikov was an example of enforcer in a past for Kaprizov's protection. I do not think we have those type of players now in defense position. Not sure yet about Bogosian.

Thanks for listening!  

I am not saying placing Maroon on a line with Kaprizov is ideal but if you wanted him protected he needs to be out there when Kaprizov is out there.  While he's not fast, he still has reasonable hands and I think his offensive instincts are ok.  Either he or Marcus Foligno.  But if you want him protected that's what you're going to have to do; at least against the Jets.  IMO its tough to complain at #17 or #20 for not doing their 'enforcing' role if they're on the bench when those liberties are taken.  

Zach Bogosian and Jake Middleton would certainly step up and answer for liberties taken on Kaprizov.  Whether they're out there to immediately step in is another story; kind of like what we were talking about in regards to Maroon and Foligno.  Mermis would probably answer too; as he's not afraid to scrap.  

But if Kaprizov is only going to be out there when you have guys that won't scrap, you can't really expect him to be protected or have someone immediately step in when those kinds of things happen.  

But again, thanks for listening and I hope you enjoyed the rest of what you heard.  I don't think the NHL is going to suddenly protect its star players.  And it certainly won't start by protecting players for the Wild IMO.  

• Like 1

Crease And Assist: Episode #32 Records & Broken Records

Kalisha, @MNSOTA and I discuss the Wild's current struggles, some interesting rules in the PWHL and what can be done to address these teams' issues as well as answering listener questions.  Also, later this week I am going to post a survey about the podcast and I'm looking for your input as to what you'd like to see, etc.  

• 2 weeks later...

Crease And Assist: Episode #33 Oh Captain, My Captain

In this episode, @MNSOTA and I discuss what Wild GM Bill Guerin will likely do with Jared Spurgeon being out for the season as well as discussing whether this fanbase is willing to be bad in order to be good for the long-term.  Check it out!