Poile to Step Down at end of season

radoran

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/david-poile-to-step-down-as-nashville-predators-gm-barry-trotz-to-take-over-1.1924062

Barry Trotz will take the GM reins in Nashville.

If nothing else, Poile definitely made "Smashville" a hockey town - something many said couldn't be done.

The only thing really missing - and he says it himself - is that elusive Cup.

• Like 1

Makes lots of sense for Barry Trotz to be the next GM in Nashville.
I've always found it strange and/or odd that he never seemed to stick anywhere else as a head coach despite raising the level of play of whatever team he coached for.

I guess he and the Preds knew all along that he would be coming back to them as GM and he was biding his time elsewhere.

Trotz also always struck me as the kind of guy who always wants to have a big, big say over who is on his teams:
As a head coach, he certainly had an important voice in that, but was still subject to whomever the GM was.

Now as GM himself, he will have the ultimate say in how a team is put together, what kind of personnel  patrols the ice for Nashville, and what kind of culture should be in that Nashville locker room....because now HE gets to decide on players and the coach to run the team.

Trotz has his work cut out for him, but if his GM chops are anything close to his coaching chops, the Predators will be in contention sooner rather than later.

IT'S TIME FOR A HOCKEY HALL OF FAME INDUCTION FOR DAVID POILE

I guess he's staying on the nominating committee for the Hockey Hall of Fame. The article makes no mention of him leaving that position as well.

Poile, only general manager in Predators history, to retire after season

Ends career as longest-tenured GM in NHL history; Trotz takes over July 1

https://www.nhl.com/news/barry-trotz-to-succeed-david-poile-as-predators-general-manager/c-341550702

David Poile will retire as president of hockey operations and general manager of the Nashville Predators on June 30, the team announced Sunday.

Former Predators coach Barry Trotz will succeed Poile as GM beginning July 1.

Poile will remain with Nashville in an advisory role, serving the team's ownership, its business operations leadership group and the hockey operations department.

The longest-tenured GM in NHL history, Poile is in his 41st consecutive year in the NHL, including the past 26 with the Predators. Nashville hired him as their first general manager on July 9, 1997, more than a year before it began play as an expansion team in 1998-99. Prior to that, Poile spent 15 seasons as the Washington Capitals' GM (1982-1997).

Poile became the first GM in League history to reach 3,000 regular-season games when the Predators hosted the Philadelphia Flyers on Oct. 22, 2022. The 73-year-old then became the first GM to reach 1,500 NHL wins when Nashville defeated the Arizona Coyotes 4-3 in a shootout on Nov. 22.

Previously, Poile surpassed Glen Sather as the winningest GM in NHL history when he won his 1,320th game on March 1, 2018, against the Edmonton Oilers. He is the only general manager in League history to lead two different teams for more than 1,000 games and 500 victories.

Poile followed in the footsteps of his father Bud Poile, who was the first GM of the expansion Philadelphia Flyers in 1967 and the expansion Vancouver Canucks in 1970. Bud was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame as a builder in 1990.

David joined the expansion Atlanta Flames as an administrative assistant under GM Cliff Fletcher in 1972, shortly after he graduated from Northeastern University, where he played for three seasons as a forward. That led to him being named the Flames assistant GM five years later before he earned his first GM job with the Capitals in 1982.

Poile received the Lester Patrick Award for outstanding service to hockey in the United States in 2001, was named the NHL General Manager of the Year in 2017 after the Predators advanced to the Stanley Cup Final for the first time in their history, and was inducted into the United States Hockey Hall of Fame in 2018.

"It's pretty easy getting up every day knowing I've got a full slate," Poile said in October. "That just comes from the love of the game. My wife has said, when we first started dating at age 13 or 14, she asked me what I wanted to be and I told her a general manager. That's all I ever wanted. I got the job I wanted, the only job I wanted for 40 years."

This will be Trotz's first time as a GM. He will serve as an advisor before stepping fully into the role.

Poile hired Trotz as Nashville's first coach Aug. 6, 1997. Trotz was 557-479-100 with 60 ties in 15 seasons with the Predators and guided them to the Stanley Cup Playoffs seven times. After being fired by the Predators following the 2013-14 seasons, Trotz coached the Capitals for four seasons, going 205-89-34 and leading them to their first Stanley Cup championship in 2018.

After being unable to agree on a new contract with Washington, Trotz resigned on June 18, 2018, and was hired by the New York Islanders three days later. Trotz went 152-102-34 in four seasons with the Islanders, guiding them to the 2020 Eastern Conference Final and 2021 Stanley Cup Semifinals before losing to eventual Stanley Cup champion Tampa Bay Lightning in each series.

The 60-year-old was fired by the Islanders after they failed to qualify for the playoffs last season and has been out of coaching this season.

cut.jpg

2 hours ago, radoran said:

Poile definitely made "Smashville" a hockey town - something many said couldn't be done.

The only thing really missing - and he says it himself - is that elusive Cup.

I’m sure he includes the 15 years (‘82 to ‘97) he GM’ed Washington.  Endless heartache from players he acquired in the Langway/Bondra era.

Here’s the 33-year old Poile taking the helm for the Capitals.  Subtitle should be:

”What am I getting myself into ?!?”

E7999591-D96C-4DD4-A779-C3B4A73A9DF1.jpeg

P.S.  And just his luck that he leaves Washington just before they get lucky as the 4 seed and make the 1998 Finals.  (Swept by the Russo-dominant Red Wings, but still.)

Edited by SaucyJack
  • Like 2

Eager Trotz set to go about business of 'resetting' Predators

6:21 PM ET
  • ESPN News Services

Barry Trotz is confident he can make the transition from coach to general manager. And the Nashville Predators are ready and willing to find out.

"I thought long and hard about this," Trotz said in his introductory news conference Monday, a day after the team announced he would replace longtime general manager David Poile. "How coaches, how managers operate -- you've got to work together, and I've always tried to do that with David. He's mentored me."

Whether it was Poile making the calls or Trotz behind the scenes, Nashville was quite busy over the weekend. The Predators made three trades, acquiring some draft capital and signaling a move toward the future. But Trotz plans to reset rather than rebuild.

"We are resetting, we are collecting assets," Trotz said. "There are some good players. There could be six first-round picks in Milwaukee [Nashville's AHL affiliate] next year, so there are people coming."

Trotz, 60, is keeping an open mind about Predators coach John Hynes, who is 121-86-16 in his fourth year in Nashville.

The Predators are six points out of the second wild-card spot after falling in the first round of the playoffs the past three seasons.

"I've been in coaching for a long time, so I know when a team is well-coached," Trotz said. "John is a really good coach. The biggest thing for me is from now until the end of the season, I'm just going to evaluate."

Nashville will host the NHL draft for the second time in June.

"We haven't been able to get that franchise-changing center iceman," Trotz said. "We haven't been that poor to get that and there's some luck. There are some guys that changed franchises that got drafted later."

Trotz will get a chance to help shape the Predators' future at the draft with his input, but cautioned that it requires patience.

• 4 months later...