Preds trade Ryan Johansen to the AVS

Nashville Predators & Colorado Avalanche Strike a Deal

The Nashville Predators made it known that they were ready to move on from center Ryan Johansen for quite some time. Now, they have done just, as they have traded him to the Colorado Avalanche in exchange for the signing rights of Alex Galchenyuk. The Predators will retain half of Johansen’s $8 million cap hit for the next two seasons.

With this move, the retooling Predators have freed up $4 million of cap space for free agency. This, in turn, will allow them to make other moves elsewhere. With Johansen’s contract being a very expensive one, his trade value was minuscule, hence the small return. The Predators will now need to decide if they want to sign Galchenyuk or let him walk straight to free agency.

The Avalanche, on the other hand, are improving their center depth with this move. This was a necessity, as both J.T. Compher and Lars Eller are pending UFAs. Now, they have a middle six option down the middle if they lose either of those players. 

Johansen appeared in 55 games this past season with the Predators, posting 12 goals and 28 points. He has had the ability to be a top six forward in the past, so the Avalanche will be hoping that he can be an answer for their 2C role.

Alas, we will now need to wait and see how this move pays off for both teams. Colorado has added an experienced and skilled center, while the Predators have gained more cap space to make moves elsewhere.

I'm not at all a fan of Johansen. At all.  At $4M for the next two years and expecting to use him for middle six it's not terrible for the Avs.  Yet, I'd rather resign Compher.

For the Predators to shed garbage without having to saddle themselves with a buyout, good on them.

I'd say win/win, and it is, but I just don't like Johansen so not huge on this for the Avs.

• Like 2