2023 NHL Draft: Live Draft Thread Discussion

pilldoc

1 minute ago, ctid said:

Bedard and Moore. Hawks make me sick. How on earth can they luck out, where they pick up these two guys right after Kane/Toews era??

yup ....... ans so it goes ....sigh

1 minute ago, ctid said:

Bedard and Moore. Hawks make me sick. How on earth can they luck out, where they pick up these two guys right after Kane/Toews era??

Well...if it makes you feel any better, they STILL have to come up with a decent defense (theirs is currently pretty putrid), and come up with a goalie.

• Like 1

The Blackhawks have selected U.S. U-18 center Oliver Moore with the No. 19 pick.

The Athletic NHL Draft analyst Corey Pronman’s scouting report: Moore is the best skater in the draft. He has very good speed and his edgework is NHL-elite caliber. He evades pressure so well and is able to go from a stop to a fast gear very quickly. He has very good hands to go with those feet and projects to get a ton of controlled zone entries in the NHL. I don't think his pure offensive touch as a scorer or playmaker will ever dazzle, and he'll be more of a secondary scorer on an NHL line. Moore lacks size, and isn't overly physical, but he's a worker. He gets to the net, comes back hard on defense and coaches trust him in tough situations. He has a ton of NHL projectability and looks like a potential good top six forward, whether at center or the wing.

Pronman's player ranking: No. 19

Just now, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Well...if it makes you feel any better, they STILL have to come up with a decent defense (theirs is currently pretty putrid), and come up with a goalie.

was just gonna post something similar ....beat me to it ... :)

• Like 1

The Kraken have selected Brno (Czechia) winger Eduard Sale with the No. 20 pick.

The Athletic NHL Draft analyst Corey Pronman’s scouting report: Sale's toolkit is exciting. He's a good-sized winger who skates quite well and has a ton of natural offensive abilities. He has the hands to beat NHL defensemen regularly and with his length and speed he'll be able to drive play at even strength. Sale is a great passer who can run a power play well and hit seams at a strong clip. He can shoot the puck well enough but is better as a passer for me. His compete is OK. I wouldn't call him a physical or high-energy type of player, but he shows enough courage to get to the net. I would like to see him be more consistent as there's too many nights I watch him have little impact, even if he can take over games other nights. I think he's a very good player, who can be a legit top six wing in the NHL, but I also see him in the process frustrate coaches and fans.

Pronman's player ranking: No. 24

The Wild have selected Wisconsin center Charlie Stramel with the No. 21 pick.

The Athletic NHL Draft analyst Corey Pronman’s scouting report: Stramel's pure athletic tools are highly intriguing. Stramel is a 6-foot-3 center who can skate well and plays a highly-physical brand of hockey. He can power his way through checks and to the net and never shies away from an engagement. The degree of offense is the major question on his game. I think he has good hands and can create a little, but he lacks vision and won't be a big-time scorer as a pro. If you go into picking Stramel understanding the offense may be limited, but you'll see get a guy who can help you at even strength a lot and potentially be a nice third-line center, you'll be happy. And I do think there's a chance he can be more than that, too. Due to the lack of sense there is a possibility he may need to be a wing, but his great faceoff skills could counteract that.

Pronman's prospect ranking: No. 23

The Flyers have selected London (OHL) defenseman Oliver Bonk with the No. 22 pick.

The Athletic NHL Draft analyst Corey Pronman’s scouting report: Bonk's toolkit looks like an NHL defenseman. He's a 6-foot-2 right shot with strong mobility and offensive touch. Bonk is able to skate pucks up ice, make some skilled plays, and shows good poise from the blue line. He's not a standout with the puck, but he can be a decent puck mover at higher levels. Defensively he's solid due to his feet and reach. Bonk isn't overly physical but he can defend well enough as a pro. He projects as a top-four defenseman in the NHL.

Pronman's prospect ranking: No. 26

Good news for Minnesota Wild fans wanting to see Charlie Stramel

NCAA Icebreaker, Oct. 13-14

Oct. 13 Wisconsin at Bemidji (Minn.) State University, Sanford Center

Oct. 14 Wisconsin at University of North Dakota, Ralph Engelstad Arena, Grand Forks

He will be coached at Wisconsin by Mike Hastings, who just left a successful run at Mankato State to lead the Badgers.

Edited by Icechipper
  • Thanks 1