Dumba

Confrontational

Well, I see he is finally gone - a little surprised that he got as much as he did in AZ ($3.9m/1yr) - but, at least now something they have to deal with...  10 seasons with the Wild...  I see Zucker is now down in AZ as well...

Is it pre-season yet...  

Edited by Confrontational

3 hours ago, Confrontational said:

Well, I see he is finally gone - a little surprised that he got as much as he did in AZ ($3.9m/1yr) - but, at least now something they have to deal with...  10 seasons with the Wild...  I see Zucker is now down in AZ as well...

Is it pre-season yet...  

The only reason the Coyotes are interested in Dumba is that his $4M salary pushes them closer to the salary floor…

17 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

The only reason the Coyotes are interested in Dumba is that his $4M salary pushes them closer to the salary floor…

Everything I read though is that they're yet again rebuilding - and he signed a 1-year to hopefully impress - and then next year be a free agent again and go for longer term with them...  Wish him the best - but on a fairly dismal team - along with his unflattering stats from last year - I'd say he best find another gear (although all the articles say they brought him on for his leadership, veteran status, top 4 defense pairing, etc)...  

Much like when Brodin got wrecked by that one play and broke his jaw, etc - Dubma got destroyed the other year and then decided to fight and ended up ripping his pec muscle or something - ever since then his game had changed, dramatically...  Suppose that's life in the NHL - just trying to make it through each season without nagging game-changing injuries...  

Anyways, will be interesting to see what/if he can do anything down there...  Same with Zuck...

• Like 2

I was pretty ambivalent.  Either way, I think this summer proved that Matt Dumba didn't exactly draw a ton of interest.  $3.9M is far more than I would've paid him, and in a strange way our salary crunch helped us avoid making that kind of salary mistake.  He already had a house in Arizona so I guess this 'move' is fairly easy for him and he still has a house in Minnesota too in case anyone cares about stuff like that.  

Arizona has been in this cycle of rebuilding, etc for a decade.  They might be better next year but good enough to make the playoffs?!?!  Not so sure; although I am not sure we're good enough either.  Certainly not good enough to do much of anything if we do make the playoffs.  

Can Dumba rediscover his game?  Not likely.  I heard he kept things loose in the locker room and was well-liked, but 'ok' defense and an offensive game that more or less disappeared certainly wasn't worth $6M a season anymore.  If anything, his fight should be a cautionary tale for young players who decide to oblige a lame request to fight by a player who is going to talk trash no matter if you kick his ass or not. 

Chris Stewart was never the same after he broke his hand on Kyle Brodziak's helmet and was resigned to being an energy player instead of the promising power forward he was prior to that ill-advised fight.  

In thinking about Dumba's whole career with the Wild, he was a classic teaser.  Where at times he showed us some of the offense and physical play we were sold on when he was drafted, but it was never quite enough.  The big shot was more like Happy Gilmore where he'd blast it but it seemed to miss the net or was easily blocked.  His defensive lapses and gaffes with the puck in his own zone often seemed to counter those moments where he'd make a great offensive play; you seemed to get 5 atrocious mistakes to one great play.  Then when he seemed to kind of put it all together, just as suddenly it was gone.  I think he was a very good citizen, but at the end of the day that's not really what matters most in professional sports.  I'm sure he'll come back and do interviews and tell us funny Jonas Brodin and Marcus Foligno stories someday.  

Edited by CreaseAndAssist
  • Like 1

Matt may rebound and I hope he does. 
If he can finally get fully healthy from the torn pec, broken sturnum etc and then reinvent his short backswing slapshot he may have a chance. 
Either way he and the Wild are better off with him in Arizona.