Leafs prospect Rodion Amirov dead at 21

yave1964

Sadness.

Former first round pick Rodion Amirov lost his battle to brain cancer at the tender age of 21. 

He was starcrossed with injuries and Covid while playing in the KHL the brain tumor diagnosis occured in February of 2022. He missed all of last year, the Leafs had agreed to loan him to his hometown team for 2023-24 as he planned his comeback before his symptoms came roaring back 

Dead at 21. Jesus. A first rounder with life by the bolls cut down in his prime. Sometimes life just sucks, this was one of those times. 

• Sad 2

According to his agent last fall  Amirov came to Toronto where doctors gave him six months to live. Kyle Dubas wanted to fulfill the kids dream of playing in the NHL in a preseason game against Ottawa, both sides were informed that contact would be forbidden. In the end he was too weak to lace them up and play.  

Kyle Dubas just went up about ten notches in my book. 

I remember the draft in 2020, Mariner introducing the pick. I remember Amirov looked like a baby. 

F&$# cancer. Life does not have to be fair but it doesn't have to suck.

Edited by yave1964
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

It's a damned shame. It's the most common cause of death in North America ( #1 in Canada, in the US it's #2 to heart disease) now, but not for 21 year old kids.

Edited by JR Ewing
edited - correction
  • Like 1

21 is way to young for anyone. Very sad story.

It's why we have to love our love ones when we can we never know when our last time will be that we ever speak again.

I didn't with my mom. Haunts me till this day.

Anyway in memory of his time doing something he loved.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

21 is way to young for anyone. Very sad story.

It's why we have to love our love ones when we can we never know when our last time will be that we ever speak again.

I didn't with my mom. Haunts me till this day.

Anyway in memory of his time doing something he loved.

You're not kidding around about that. My mother was ill for the last year, and she passed before the day before my birthday, a few months ago. I was going to surprise her in a couple of weeks by flying to Edmonton to spend a week around Mother's Day with her. You just never know.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

You're not kidding around about that. My mother was ill for the last year, and she passed before the day before my birthday, a few months ago. I was going to surprise her in a couple of weeks by flying to Edmonton to spend a week around Mother's Day with her. You just never know.

Yep the world is never the same after you lose your never.

And it's ok in time the pain eases some...but there have been times i had to stop with a thinking of her and let a tear or two fall with my thoughts.

• Like 2