Petry traded to Detroit

Wow that was quick.

Detroit just add d Jeff Petry for Gustav Lindstrom and a 4th rounder going the other way. Term of money retention was not announced.

Wow the Wings bluelne. Lindstrom was expected to be a the 7th D playing as an injury filler. Now Detroit has to sit one of

Seider. No way no how

Petry doubtful. Great get

Chiarat 2 years remaining grit Damn

Holl the new toy fresh three year deal

Maatta resigned two years was damn solid last year 

Wallman was fantastic last year

Ghostisbehere gonna play every night. 

Who sits? Which of thes is the nightly healthy scratch? Do you rotate the vets to stay fresh?

Love adding Petry. Middle pair damn solid puck mover, responsible in his own zone. His dad Dan pitched for a decade for the Tigers.

Edvisson is a lock for another year in Grand rapids, same with Wallinder and Johansson, all great bluelne prospects. Wings back end depth out 💪 f this world. Tatar rumored to be going to either Pittsburgh or Detroit this week as well. 

• Like 1

Montréal is retaining half of Petry's salary, so the Wings got him for $2.3M AAV, which is very good IMO. I still have the feeling the Habs got flawed in the Karlsson deal because they had to take back Petry while retaining salary. Now they got two AHL/NHL guys, a second, a conditional fourth, DeSmith who is barely average while losing Hoffmann and Pitlick. It's part of their rebuild but I'm still not convinced, not to mention that they lost Gurianov for nothing. 

• Like 1

-I like the move for the Wings, who are getting Petry for pennies on the dollar. The blueline badly needs a right-hander, and he should provide quality for the price, which they really need, since the defense group is a leftorium. Would be an excellent 3rd pairing if he's pushed down the lineup by a younger player who develops. The problem is that there really isn't anybody in the system bubbling who is likely to do that...

-Speaking of such things, I don't really love the current blue line, Seider aside, who is marvellous. After him, there's a fair bit of blah, and they're older at that, but I'd guess that Yzerman is biding his time until Simon Edvinsson and William Wallinder (who also both play left side) are done warming up in the bullpen. The cap hits aren't outrageous, but it's almost completely a group of veterans with NMCs and that can throw a wrench into things. We'll see if Walman found a new level or not: his PDO was 101, and history constantly reminds us that guys who do that out of nowhere usually regress. It would be great if it holds for him. The Chiarot acquisition is perplexing.

-Edvinsson and Willinder both the key for the future of that blueline, Edvinsson in particular, imo. He's turning 21, has a few years of pro experience, and is the right age where he could pop, and that would be a major item for the Wings.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ruxpin said:
4 hours ago, yave1964 said:

His dad Dan pitched for a decade for the Tigers.

I remember Dan!  I had no idea the relationship. That's very cool.

yes! I remember Dan Petry too….

Agree… had no idea either. Learn something new everyday.

• Like 2

My first memory of Petry the youngery was watching a Wings/Oilers game, Petrys first game Dan was in the Tv booth as the proud papa reminiscing about the 84 Tigers and talking about his son when BOOM Jeff scored an own goal by misplaying a puck badly and tipping it into his own net. The wings announcers were tripping over their own words trying not to embarrass his dad who was sitting with them while explaining what an awful play had just occured. About five minutes later he almost tipped another one in. I remember thinking that this would be a short career lol. 

2 hours ago, NHL HHOF said:

92-261-353 and 5-8-13 career numbers for Petry.

I am not expecting a 50 point season or anything, at 35 this is what I think.......

70 games

Steady unspectacular defense

35 points, some play on second pp unit

For a bit over two million and two years that is a value signing. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

I am not expecting a 50 point season or anything, at 35 this is what I think.......

70 games

Steady unspectacular defense

35 points, some play on second pp unit

For a bit over two million and two years that is a value signing. 

Pretty much what I was guessing: 60 games and ~25 points.

• Like 1