Sens preview, are they a playoff team?

yave1964

Same basic question as Buffalo.

LAST SEASON 39-35-8 86 points, 6 points out of a playoff spot. Minus ten goal differential

ADDITIONS. Taresenko came aboard on a one year deal. Chychrun added at the deadline solidifying the back end. Korpisalo signs five year deal to fix the net. Kubalik helps in middle six. Very gifted Norris missed most of season will fill top six role at the pivot. Zach McCewen brings grit to Fourth line.

SUBTRACTIONS Debrincat traded to Detroit. Talbot left for Los Angeles. 

PROSPECTS Jake Sanderson will have a breakthrough season on the back end.

MAIN Question will they make the playoffs?

God yeah, this team is simply stacked. Stutzle, Tkachuk, Chychrun, Sanderson, Norris, Batherson, Pinto i submit no team anywhere has a better young core. None. Add vets such as Giroux and Taresenko and Kubalik they will dominate many nights. They are real and dangerous.

They waaaaay overpaid for Korpisalo and most of the blueliner is young and raw but talented so they will win or lose a lot of 6-4 games with lots of fights from Tkachuk, McCewen,  Kelly and Grieg among others. 80s style hockey. Imho they will possibly contend for the Division and be as fun as team to watch in all of hockey.

Edited by yave1964
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Same basic question as Buffalo.

LAST SEASON 39-35-8 86 points, 6 points out of a playoff spot. Minus ten goal differential

ADDITIONS. Taresenko came aboard on a one year deal. Chychrun added at the deadline solidifying the back end. Korpisalo signs five year deal to fix the net. Kubalik helps in middle six. Very gifted Norris missed most of season will fill top six role at the pivot. Zach McCewen brings grit to Fourth line.

SUBTRACTIONS Debrincat traded to Detroit. Talbot left for Los Angeles. 

PROSPECTS Jake Sanderson will have a breakthrough season on the back end.

MAIN Question will they make the playoffs?

God yeah, this team is simply stacked. Stutzle, Tkachuk, Chychrun, Sanderson, Norris, Batherson, Pinto i submit no team anywhere has a better young core. None. Add vets such as Giroux and Taresenko and Kubalik they will dominate many nights. They are real and dangerous.

They waaaaay overpaid for Korpisalo and most of the blueliner is young and raw but talented so they will win or lose a lot of 6-4 games with lots of fights from Tkachuk, McCewen,  Kelly and Grieg among others. 80s style hockey. Imho they will possibly contend for the Division and be as fun as team to watch in all of hockey.

How many times can I agree with you 😊!!!

My only concern will be Korpisalo as he is grossly overpaid.

1 hour ago, pilldoc said:

How many times can I agree with you 😊!!!

My only concern will be Korpisalo as he is grossly overpaid.

Man Korpi was a bad signing proof that Ottawa will continue to shoot themselves in the foot lol. But wow those top three lines are beyond scary and their fourth line will just hit everything that moves. 

• Like 1

First off, @yave1964, let me just say that even though I haven't commented much on your preview threads, I HAVE read them all, and as usual, enjoy my time doing so.
I ALWAYS enjoy your previews, end-of-year capsules, and your infamous "way too early for...." postings.
Just so you know you are appreciated.

Ahem. So then, with all the sucking up out of the way :bigteeth: ...the Senators.

Truly one of the rivals I am looking forward to seeing my Bolts play this coming season, and a team in general, that I will likely tune in to watch if I don't have a high profile Lightning or Wild game on.
I said last year they were pretty good, but let down by their defense and goaltending. That may still hold true this season, but a full year now from Chychrun leading the way for them there, and more experience for the rest of the blueliners means they should be improved some back there.

Goaltending?
I never was a Talbot fan. Not when he was in NY, not in EDM, not CGY...not anywhere. I always felt he was a career backup type and gets exposed mightily with a less than stellar defense in front of him and more games played, as teams seem to figure him out the more video they see on him.
That said....is Korpi any better? He seems to be on that same career path as Talbot. However, Korpisalo did have a pretty nice year between the Jackets and Kings last season.
Jackets with a not so great defense, Kings with a much better one.
Leaving Korpi as a real head scratcher.......as in, we really don't know what we are gonna get from him on any given year, or any given game.

Of course, Jackets fans, including our esteemed writer here know him pretty well so they may have a better idea, but still, if there ever was a 'wild card' goalie, Korpisalo would be the poster boy for that.
Sens are pinning a lot on him.
They have youngsters like Mandolese and Sogaard (a pair of 22 yr olds) still simmering in the AHL and they have had short stints with the big club, but I am not so sure they are quite ready for prime time yet.
Who the Sens pair with Korpisalo at is still up in the air, but whomever it is, BETTER be ready to go if sub .900 Korpi shows up this season...

The forward lines look pretty damned fantastic though and I agree with the OP, they will be involved, win or lose, in some pretty high scoring affairs this season. If Josh Norris can actually stay healthy and play games, their already good looking offense will get yet another boost.

Are they a playoff team?
Assuming the Leafs, Bolts, Bruins (if they remain competitive...they certainly aren't gonna be setting any records this season), and Panthers (they SHOULD be back on a normal track to contention and not simply be a Cinderella team) are locks or near locks to get in from the division, that leaves Ottawa to battle it out with Buffalo and Detroit to grab a wild card spot or to bump one of the above mentioned teams, or a Metro team, off the wildcard playoff train.

Once again, their blueline and goaltending will determine that.
They get reasonable defense, and solid goaltending, I think their offense takes care of the rest and they get in!
If not.....well...there is always the year after...

I thought the Atlantic was the toughest division, leader to cellar dweller in the NHL last season.
I see no reason for that perception to change. Sens will certainly do their part to perpetuate that.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

The Sens will be interesting to follow for sure, and I'm listing them to finally make the postseason (as a WC team) despite the big question mark in the net. Looking forward to watch it live in Ottawa when the Stars are in town. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
22 minutes ago, Brewin Flames said:

And yet the NHL advertises sports betting on helmet and the boards.....pot/kettle.

I'm good with letting them bet on everything but they're own profession.

And i also understand the clear cut while you are playing you can't bet.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I'm good with letting them bet on everything but they're own profession.

And i also understand the clear cut while you are playing you can't bet.

But, as of this moment, it's been confirmed that he was not betting on NHL game, and he was not playing either, so....

Very tight lipped as to what exactly happened.

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/25/2023 at 11:58 AM, Bring Back the Expos said:

Not a playoff team unless they change head coaches.

Welcome to the boards.

Hmmm...change head coaches.
Just like that?

So...you think the issue is the players have given up on their coach? Refusing to "play for him"?
Willing to jeopardize the season, throw away a year of their professional careers, look bad in the process....all to get the HC fired?

I find that a bit hard to believe.
Can a change of head coach make a difference? Maybe...but I would think if that were the case, the players would be so embarrassed that they DID cost their HC his job that they'd play themselves into an early grave to make up for it whomever the next coach is (whether he is a good one or not), to make up for it.
Fact is, the players SHOULD be embarrassed and doing all that now, if only for themselves, because there certainly is a lot of talent on the team.

A simple matter of "change the head coach and you are now a playoff team", IMO, simply won't cut it.

I think this is where the so-called leaders of the team...the Tkachuks, the Girouxs, the Kubaliks. the Tarasenkos....THOSE grizzled and traveled vets, need to take control of the situation and drag this team kicking and screaming into playoff contention regardless of who the head coach is.

Not saying a change behind the bench wouldn't help, but it is FAR from a guarantee to make any difference at all for this squad unless the players, on the ice, have decided to quit screwing around, play harder, defend better, and stop pucks with more regularity.
Oh, and on that last note...perhaps the combo of Forsberg-Korpisalo wasn't the answer in net after all? Shocker, I know....

Again, welcome to our forum, and see ya round the boards!

• Like 1

On 11/25/2023 at 12:58 PM, Bring Back the Expos said:

Not a playoff team unless they change head coaches.

Ldk dude, the coach is a bit of a mess, the lines aren't set up everything wrong, inexperienced.

IMHO the Sens have skilled depth fun run, elite level. 

3 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Ldk dude, the coach is a bit of a mess, the lines aren't set up everything wrong, inexperienced.

IMHO the Sens have skilled depth fun run, elite level. 

So anyway, no depth, no lower six, no bottom four, two elite level contracts. You could go top six forwards, top two blueliners and maaaaybe a stretch of top two back ends. The problem was it was everything. Crazy top six, middle six sux. Top two elite pair bottom four couldn't stop anyone. That's the problem, they looked up inch and death and decided, that's the problem, we need this and that. Sometimes you can win with a golden ticket but maybe ten percent of the time. Claude giroux signs a four year deal.lets grab Korpi or boom or bust chychrum or batherson. It's maddenly slow takes process, hell about four dudes are hear but it works. For ten years give or take but they slowly, glacially, methodical they put the brutes down, very tickled. We are young deep and raring to go. Yzer-plan as you were.......