*** Wild Prospects 2023-'24: IOWA, NCAA, EUROPEAN LEAGUES, MINOR LEAGUES ***

TropicalFruitGirl26

The Athletic published yesterday an article: "Wild insider: Kirill Kaprizov on possibly mentoring Marat Khusnutdinov......"

Here is a portion of it:

"One of the most impressive things about Kirill Kaprizov is even though he had barely been to North America before he signed with the Wild in 2020 and barely knew a lick of English, he has always been consistent in the fact that the Wild don’t need to add Russian players just to make his life easier.

But when Kaprizov was asked last week about the chance that countryman Marat Khusnutdinov could soon be signing with the Wild and joining him inside the locker room, Kaprizov’s eyes lit up.

“I’ve texted with him a lot lately, especially the last couple days,” Kaprizov told The Athletic regarding the Wild’s 2020 second-round pick. “He’s a really good player and seems like a good kid.”

And here is a new article published at the Hockey News regarding Marat Khusnutdinov:

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/minnesota-wild/latest-news/marat-khusnutdinov-season-comes-to-a-close-whats-next

Iowa lost 3-2 in OT against Grand Rapids last night.  Bankier and Raska with the goals for Iowa.  If Iowa making the playoffs is a priority with this organization, they certainly could use Mason Shaw if the Minnesota Wild seem to have no plans to use him.   

Iowa Wild lost 6-3 tonight to Rockford.  They went 1-2 against Rockford who stands right in front of the in the AHL Central Division standings.  Adam Beckman had a goal.  So his relative 'hot' streak continues.  Beyond that...not much to say about it.  

Riley Heidt gets to a 100 points with Prince George.  

Rieger Lorenz bagged his 9th goal of the season with Denver.  

Aaron Pionk and Jack Peart each had an assist with UMD and SCSU respectively.  

Servac Petrovsky had a goal and an assist with Owen Sound.  

Luke Toporowski, the first Iowa-native to play for the Iowa Wild has done pretty well.  A goal and an assist in two games so far.  Caeden Bankier had a decent weekend too.  

Reiger Lorenz, Riley Heidt, Kalem Parker, Aaron Pionk, Hunter Haight and Rasmus Kumpulainen all registered points over the weekend.  

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Luke Toporowski, the first Iowa-native to play for the Iowa Wild has done pretty well.  A goal and an assist in two games so far.  Caeden Bankier had a decent weekend too.  

Reiger Lorenz, Riley Heidt, Kalem Parker, Aaron Pionk, Hunter Haight and Rasmus Kumpulainen all registered points over the weekend.  

Thanks for posting that info. For me present the most interest Riley Heidt who is impressing me with his persistent production for Prince George team : 2 seasons ago he had 58 points, last season 97; and this season in 60 played games he has already 107 points (34 goals, 73 assists; +/- +29).

Edited by Alexandron

16 hours ago, Alexandron said:

Thanks for posting that info. For me present the most interest Riley Heidt who is impressing me with his persistent production for Prince George team : 2 seasons ago he had 58 points, last season 97; and this season in 60 played games he has already 107 points (34 goals, 73 assists; +/- +29).

(shrugs)  We've seen stories like this before.  See Adam Beckman.  Sure, we're all hopeful this isn't just junior league domination...but it's best to not buy too heavily into this.  If he ends up scoring at a point per game pace in the AHL after the conclusion of his junior season then you have something to get excited about.  

Iowa has lost back-to-back games to Grand Rapids on Friday and last night (Saturday).  Yesterday they got out to a 2-0 lead only to give up five unanswered to get blitzed 5-2.  I know Michael Russo thinks the Wild will bring in Vladislav Firstov and then send him to Iowa but what's the point?  Iowa doesn't look like they'll make the playoffs and I can't imagine the kid who bolted for the KHL because he didn't want to play in the AHL will just be thrilled to go back to the AHL upon arriving back in North America.  

• Good Post 1

On 3/17/2024 at 8:56 AM, CreaseAndAssist said:

Iowa has lost back-to-back games to Grand Rapids on Friday and last night (Saturday).  Yesterday they got out to a 2-0 lead only to give up five unanswered to get blitzed 5-2.  I know Michael Russo thinks the Wild will bring in Vladislav Firstov and then send him to Iowa but what's the point?  Iowa doesn't look like they'll make the playoffs and I can't imagine the kid who bolted for the KHL because he didn't want to play in the AHL will just be thrilled to go back to the AHL upon arriving back in North America.  

Completely agree. I am thinking(my personal high feeling) that Vladislav Firstov could bring a lot of benefits to the main club than to the AHL. He passed through different of Canadian, American, Russian clubs in his young age (22). I am impressed through his stats about the nice persistent production. But is seems he is going to AHL first, according to this article:

https://hockeywilderness.com/news-rumors/wilderness-walk/vladislav-firstov-coming-to-iowa-r29954/

26 minutes ago, Alexandron said:

Completely agree. I am thinking(my personal high feeling) that Vladislav Firstov could bring a lot of benefits to the main club than to the AHL. He passed through different of Canadian, American, Russian clubs in his young age (22). I am impressed through his stats about the nice persistent production. But is seems he is going to AHL first, according to this article:

https://hockeywilderness.com/news-rumors/wilderness-walk/vladislav-firstov-coming-to-iowa-r29954/

Forgot to mention about nice Firstov stats in KHL playoffs. He played for a good team (Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod)there for 2 seasons in a row including playoffs. During the 1st playoffs season (2022-2023) he played in 2 playoffs rounds(10 games) and had 4 points(3 goals; 1 assist). During his 2nd playoffs season( 1 round; 5 games) he had 2 points(2 goals). 

Iowa’s struggles to me show how little depth the Wild truly have. Dakota Mermis staying with the Wild torpedoed the Baby Wild’s season? Really? 

I mean, I’m glad Mermis got his shot in the NHL. But just him leaving Iowa killing their season? Mermis is a defenseman. Where are the scorers? Why is the defense so terrible? is Wallstedt really the brick wall we’ve been lead to believe?

Or maybe this is an outcome of the Wild’s continuing preoccupation with making the playoffs. They continue to strive for the playoffs, get a low first round draft pick, and then act surprised when they get bounced in the first round. 

Nothing is going to change until the Wild decide to rebuild. They’ve done this “retool on the fly” for years and have continued to get the same result: a first round exit. 

But hey, as long as Craig gets his playoff money, who cares, right?

10 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

Iowa’s struggles to me show how little depth the Wild truly have. Dakota Mermis staying with the Wild torpedoed the Baby Wild’s season? Really? 

I mean, I’m glad Mermis got his shot in the NHL. But just him leaving Iowa killing their season? Mermis is a defenseman. Where are the scorers? Why is the defense so terrible? is Wallstedt really the brick wall we’ve been lead to believe?

Or maybe this is an outcome of the Wild’s continuing preoccupation with making the playoffs. They continue to strive for the playoffs, get a low first round draft pick, and then act surprised when they get bounced in the first round. 

Nothing is going to change until the Wild decide to rebuild. They’ve done this “retool on the fly” for years and have continued to get the same result: a first round exit. 

But hey, as long as Craig gets his playoff money, who cares, right?

Iowa looked like it had some scoring depth going into the season, at least in theory.  

Nic Petan (23 goals in Iowa last year), Sammy Walker (27 goals last year in Iowa)...along with Vinni Lettieri were supposed to be the pace-setters offensively for Iowa.  Lucchini, Teasdale (23 goals last year in Laval), Fogarty (19 goals a season ago in Iowa) and Beckman (24 goals a season ago in Iowa) were supposed to also be solid secondary scoring.  Almost none of that really came into fruition.  Petan was their most dangerous player, but between call ups and and not a decent playmaker to work with (he had Rossi last year) his scoring was muted.  Yet so was everyone else.  Novak got sent down to the ECHL to get more ice time.  Jujar Khaira started out pretty well, but he's been hurt since probably early December.  

Current Stats

Petan - 12 goals in 44GP (before he was traded to the Rangers)

Walker - 12 goals in 57GP

Lettieri - 4 goals in 10GP (up with the MN Wild)

Beckman - 16 goals in 48GP (up with the MN Wild not playing)

Fogarty - 14 goals in 56GP

Lucchini - 11 goals in 30GP (up with the MN Wild)

Teasdale - 6 goals in 57GP

Bankier - 9 goals in 38GP

Elson - 5 goals in 43 GP (he was who we traded Petan for)

Just before the season began, Mermis was named captain of their team.  But he's spent almost no time in Iowa.  So they didn't have any vets on the blueline until they signed Andy Welinski.  Welinski helped out a lot until he got hurt.  Mermis had been a rock in Iowa for the previous two seasons.  Did a little bit of everything.  They also won't admit it but they never really replaced Joe Hicketts; who was their other veteran workhorse on the blueline who also chipped in a fair amount of points too.  

Simon Johansson has had his best year offensively but he's still frail.  Daemon Hunt has been called up a fair amount, and has been Iowa's best young defenseman.  Carson Lambos has looked like a junior player having a tough adjustment to the professional game.  He has the Dumba-like penchant for the catastrophic turnover.  Mobile, but he too needs to add strength.  O'Rourke, coaches apparently really like his game.  Other than a few glimpses I don't think he stands out.  David Spacek has been somewhat similar to Lambos minus the catastrophic turnovers.  Kyle Masters was sent down to the ECHL to get more ice time and has done fairly well there.  

Adding Will Butcher helped add a bit more offense and a power play QB to this team.  

Toporowski has been a decent add so far.  But all in all, they've had a lot of guys regress.  Speed-wise, they really missed Michael Milne on their lower lines in the 1st half.  Call ups for players like Lucchini, Raska deprived the team of some speed as well.  

Wallstedt has been their most consistent player game to game.  Zane McIntyre hasn't played all that much and at times he looks good but at others he's had some rough games too (perhaps from not playing as often as he did last year where it was more of a 50/50 rotation).  

It's been a season of frustration in Iowa.  A horrid January (just 2 wins that month) and they're still trying to scratch and claw for the last spot like the big club is doing.  I don't think losing one of their coaches (after Dean and Woods was let go) helped either.  Cody Franson replaced Dwyer.  Brett McLean at times has appeared to be a bit overwhelmed and effort and consistency has been an issue all season long. 

They go on the road and look great in Hershey against the defending Calder Cup champions and then come back and look like crap against a far weaker Rockford team.  

I've probably watched about 95% of their games.  They rarely ever make their games look easy, even when they are playing well.  Everything is a grind or one step forward and two steps back with this team.  

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Iowa looked like it had some scoring depth going into the season, at least in theory.  

Nic Petan (23 goals in Iowa last year), Sammy Walker (27 goals last year in Iowa)...along with Vinni Lettieri were supposed to be the pace-setters offensively for Iowa.  Lucchini, Teasdale (23 goals last year in Laval), Fogarty (19 goals a season ago in Iowa) and Beckman (24 goals a season ago in Iowa) were supposed to also be solid secondary scoring.  Almost none of that really came into fruition.  Petan was their most dangerous player, but between call ups and and not a decent playmaker to work with (he had Rossi last year) his scoring was muted.  Yet so was everyone else.  Novak got sent down to the ECHL to get more ice time.  Jujar Khaira started out pretty well, but he's been hurt since probably early December.  

Current Stats

Petan - 12 goals in 44GP (before he was traded to the Rangers)

Walker - 12 goals in 57GP

Lettieri - 4 goals in 10GP (up with the MN Wild)

Beckman - 16 goals in 48GP (up with the MN Wild not playing)

Fogarty - 14 goals in 56GP

Lucchini - 11 goals in 30GP (up with the MN Wild)

Teasdale - 6 goals in 57GP

Bankier - 9 goals in 38GP

Elson - 5 goals in 43 GP (he was who we traded Petan for)

Just before the season began, Mermis was named captain of their team.  But he's spent almost no time in Iowa.  So they didn't have any vets on the blueline until they signed Andy Welinski.  Welinski helped out a lot until he got hurt.  Mermis had been a rock in Iowa for the previous two seasons.  Did a little bit of everything.  They also won't admit it but they never really replaced Joe Hicketts; who was their other veteran workhorse on the blueline who also chipped in a fair amount of points too.  

Simon Johansson has had his best year offensively but he's still frail.  Daemon Hunt has been called up a fair amount, and has been Iowa's best young defenseman.  Carson Lambos has looked like a junior player having a tough adjustment to the professional game.  He has the Dumba-like penchant for the catastrophic turnover.  Mobile, but he too needs to add strength.  O'Rourke, coaches apparently really like his game.  Other than a few glimpses I don't think he stands out.  David Spacek has been somewhat similar to Lambos minus the catastrophic turnovers.  Kyle Masters was sent down to the ECHL to get more ice time and has done fairly well there.  

Adding Will Butcher helped add a bit more offense and a power play QB to this team.  

Toporowski has been a decent add so far.  But all in all, they've had a lot of guys regress.  Speed-wise, they really missed Michael Milne on their lower lines in the 1st half.  Call ups for players like Lucchini, Raska deprived the team of some speed as well.  

Wallstedt has been their most consistent player game to game.  Zane McIntyre hasn't played all that much and at times he looks good but at others he's had some rough games too (perhaps from not playing as often as he did last year where it was more of a 50/50 rotation).  

It's been a season of frustration in Iowa.  A horrid January (just 2 wins that month) and they're still trying to scratch and claw for the last spot like the big club is doing.  I don't think losing one of their coaches (after Dean and Woods was let go) helped either.  Cody Franson replaced Dwyer.  Brett McLean at times has appeared to be a bit overwhelmed and effort and consistency has been an issue all season long. 

They go on the road and look great in Hershey against the defending Calder Cup champions and then come back and look like crap against a far weaker Rockford team.  

I've probably watched about 95% of their games.  They rarely ever make their games look easy, even when they are playing well.  Everything is a grind or one step forward and two steps back with this team.  

Thanks . Nice solid review of the current Iowa Wild team. 

On 3/17/2024 at 8:56 AM, CreaseAndAssist said:

In my opinion, Firstov (if he will be able to arrive back in North America) should have a chance to play in all remaining games for the Minnesota Wild team this season. He is such a good hard working player. And overall how is difficult (not simple at all) to come here from there now. Huge challenge for all those players.  These nice promising prospects for the Wild club like Khusnutdinov, Firstov, Yurov (we are talking about them already few seasons in a row) really merit to get a chance to play here, which will boost their mentality too. As soon as they will get an experience and mentoring supervision under Kaprizov wings, then they, probably, could present an absolutely different level for the Wild team in the future which we are waiting for a long period of time.

Firstov is going to play in Iowa according to Russo.  One would think this is make or break time for him now that he's had time to develop since being drafted.  

Also in that report, the Wild are not going to sign Servac Petrovsky.  He can re-enter the draft but already has a bunch of European league deals on the table.  

The Wild did sign Rasmus Kumpulainen to a 3-year entry level deal that starts next year.  

Ovchinnikov is never going to play for the Wild either; they've even let him stay and play in Toronto.  I guess it was to say we got something besides just a pick for Dewar...literally in name only.  

Edited by CreaseAndAssist

Interesting, never heard of Ovchinnikov. I looked through eliteprospects.com site. Wild signed him, probably for the Iowa Wild team. Kumpulainen has more promise according to his stats. Strange regarding Petrovsky about not going to sign him. 3 seasons in a row in OHL more than 50 points per season. They should pay more attention to that player if lots of European clubs have an interest in him. 

4 hours ago, Alexandron said:

Interesting, never heard of Ovchinnikov. I looked through eliteprospects.com site. Wild signed him, probably for the Iowa Wild team. Kumpulainen has more promise according to his stats. Strange regarding Petrovsky about not going to sign him. 3 seasons in a row in OHL more than 50 points per season. They should pay more attention to that player if lots of European clubs have an interest in him. 

That's the deal, we did trade for him.  But apparently we're not even asking Toronto to give him to us.  He's still playing for the Marlies.  They just wanted the contract off the books.  Not sure why we keep doing Toronto favors like this even if it's just for a pro contract.