✨🥅 2023-24 NHL GENERAL SEASON THREAD 🥅 ✨

TropicalFruitGirl26

Watching Ducks at Yotes now and the Coyotes....are NOT boring!
They are certainly playing with chips on their shoulders and some 'swag' and are being led in all that by Clayton Keller, Nick Schmaltz.....and two former Wild players Jason Zucker and Mat Dumba!
Oh yea...and that Karel Vejmelka is quietly going about his business once again for the desert dogs.

I would have thought the Ducks with Zegras, Terry, Carlsson, and MacTavish would be the more dynamic team, but not here.
Yotes looking quick, looking confident and are a handful for Anaheim right now.

Score is only 1-0 Arizona in the 2nd, so the Ducks are right there, but still, this kind of fast paced, exciting play coming from Arizona, who is a perennial farm club for other NHL teams, is really unexpected. 

41 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

I was GLUED TO THE GAME (sorry about the caplocks, it describes my mood, lol. 

Last year Wings went into Ottawa for back to back games in early February, 4 points out of a playoff spot. Up 2-1 at the end of one, Tkachuk challenged the entire Wings bench to a fight, nobody answered the bell and he stood their laughing. Sens 7-1 followed the next night by the Sens winning 5-1. Game and season over. Hronek and Bertuzzi dealt within a week.

I circled this game above all games since the schedule came out, as must see TV, the Wings had to win period. What a fun game, power play clicking, hitting everything that moved, man it felt good today.

Still a looong season but the Wings are scoring at a fantastic clip, a relentless forecheck. Five games in, it is fun to watch the boys in every game.

Well, glad to see you enjoy your team once again, my friend.

I will curse the Wings as they fight tooth n nail with my Bolts for standings position, but as far as my online pal seeing joy in watching his team again? That is a good thing!

• Like 1

Oh cool!

Braydon Coburn now joins the Tampa Bay Lightning pregame broadcast booth.
Now, we can get "Angry Coburn" on the airwaves!
He joins Paul Kennedy and Dave Andreychuk on there.

Will Coburn go off the deep end when the Bolts don't play as well as they should?
We shall see... :bigteeth: 

Yikes...

That anthem singer doing O, Canada at Amalie Arena.....can she be any more off key???
Not that I am a particularly good singer, but jeebus....iffin yer gonna sing about Standing Guard for thee, at LEAST stay on key!

Maybe Florida is so far south they aren't aware of Canada, other than these so called snow birds that fly in during the winters?
After all...for Floridians, the True North is the Georgia border.... :ph34r: 

2 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

for Floridians, the True North is the Georgia border

I thought Florida geography & culture went “the higher north you go, the farther south you get.”

Nice that Bedard snags the Hawks first home goal of the season.  Don’t give this kid an open shot from the slot.

My dinner responsibilities for my elderly now complete, I am going to watch the Caps-Habs 3rd, possibly report…so that you don’t have to (watch)…

REPORT:  First Ovie, then Kuzy, make fine plays to find puck magnet Dylan Strome alone on the right side near net, to tie up what was an 0-2 deficit with 9 minutes to go.  And did so despite taking waaaay too many 3rd period penalties.  It was good enough to snare the NHL’s patented* everyone’s-sort-of-a-winner-at-least-half-a-game standings point.

*I’m surely wrong here, I’ll bet the old journeyman IHL holds the patent.  Expired probably.

Edited by SaucyJack

3 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Maybe Florida is so far south they aren't aware of Canada, other than these so called snow birds that fly in during the winters?

Or they think that Québec is independent since 1995. Maybe they should sing the french version, "Ô Canana, terre de nos aïeux" etc.

On 10/21/2023 at 11:05 PM, Math said:

Oof, 4 games for Andersson. The NHL players safety had a heavy hand on that one.

Appealed. Not that Andersson doesn't deserve a suspension, but despite that all boxes are checked in terms of what does the League wants to get rid of (head as the main target, skates above the ice, etc.), you can find many other actions that were way worse than this and resulted in a lighter suspension.

I think they will stick to 4 games (maybe decreasing it to 3).

Frozen Frenzy tomorrow (Tues) - will North America embrace the full slate, with different puck drop times for all?

I think the NHL realized the scheduling problems of holding it on NBA opening night, and directly against a potential NLCS Game Seven.  Only two hoops games on Tues, a ton on Wed, and the odds of any LCS going 7 is less than 50% by a good margin.  (But it looks like The Snakes will in fact force it, thus stealing NHL Thunder tomorrow.)

Thursday would have been better: only two NBA tilts, and no chance of MLB conflict, since World Series starts Friday.

I read that there are 35 NHL refs and 35 linesmen.  It will be a lonely wistful night for the 6 officials not assigned to a game.

Washington Capitals cruising along with rookie Hunter Sheperd in net.
3-0 after 1.

Devils just exploded for 3 goals in under 2 minutes to tie the game at 3.
Wow.

I'm not really sure one could put that meltdown on the goalie (Caps call a time out where I thought the goalie would get replaced...he isn't), but rather, the Washington defense.
NJ offense just sliced through them like they weren't even there!

12 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Devils just exploded for 3 goals in under 2 minutes to tie the game at 3.
Wow.

This was followed by a Caps time-out where the TNT broadcast spent the whole time with a big zoom on the livid Sheperd's mother in the stands. That was mean lol.

7 minutes ago, Math said:

This was followed by a Caps time-out where the TNT broadcast spent the whole time with a big zoom on the livid Sheperd's mother in the stands. That was mean lol.

Oh my...I missed that.
Yea...NHL debut for their boy, the defense in front of him is terrible, and they zoom in on her making her look like a crazy lady, eh? 
Wow.

52 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Oh my...I missed that.
Yea...NHL debut for their boy, the defense in front of him is terrible, and they zoom in on her making her look like a crazy lady, eh? 
Wow.

Finally there's some justice there, thank to the Devils' brain farts to start the third period.

9 hours ago, Brewin Flames said:

I was wondering sumthin.....

If i wrote a weekly goof, would anyone here read it.

I used to write a weekly goof back when SDHF was around, was entertaining the idea of going it again.

LOL...what do you mean, "weekly goof"?

Just now, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

LOL...what do you mean, "weekly goof"?

It used to be a weekly going on about random nhl stuff with a lil bit of other sports/life swill sprinkled in, meant to stir up light conversation....

I used to call it the "randumb rumbling's"

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Brewin Flames said:

It used to be a weekly going on about random nhl stuff with a lil bit of other sports/life swill sprinkled in, meant to stir up light conversation....

I used to call it the "randumb rumbling's"

Ahh, for awhile, I did something similar.
Called it something like TFG ramblings...and yea, meant to talk random NHL stuff, but also, things I just happened to have on my mind and people could just comment or post their own out of nowhere thoughts.

Eventually that became THIS thread because usually those threads became general NHL threads.

Hmmm...try it.
Start a thread with your name in the title and how you will ramble/babble/jaw jack/etc, and see where it goes.

If it will primarily be NHL centric, it could go in Around the NHL, but if you are aiming for the more general stuff with NHL stuff sprinkled in, maybe it can go in either General Hockey or Off Topic.
I'd probably post a thing or three in it, as I often have rando thoughts in my head that need to get out :bigteeth: 

And then this one can remain just a general NHL news/gameday/quip thread.

• Like 1

TB Lightning all over the San Jose Sharks.
Absolutely outplayed them in every facet of the game and lead 3-0 after 1.

If it weren't for SJ goalie MacKenzie Blackwood, that lead could have easily been something like 5-0!

On paper, the Bolts SHOULD roll the Sharks, but we all know paper stats don't make a win.
Besides, I am very curious to see if the Lightning let up any on a team many feel they should beat.
I hope not. One would think they have learned their lesson 'letting up' on teams....no matter who they are.

TB played a great game against Carolina, and so far, it looks like it has carried over to the Sharks game.

Oh my....Lightning...save some for the next game!
5-0 just shy of halfway through the game, but more telling than the score, is the body language and the action on the ice.

Sharkies simply have no answer to what the Bolts are doing out there.
Blackwood gets KOed after that 5th goal...in comes Kaapo Kahkonen...

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Oh my....Lightning...save some for the next game!
5-0 just shy of halfway through the game, but more telling than the score, is the body language and the action on the ice.

Sharkies simply have no answer to what the Bolts are doing out there.
Blackwood gets KOed after that 5th goal...in comes Kaapo Kahkonen...

Been watching a bit of this one, point is simply cutting through the sharks at will....

58 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Been watching a bit of this one, point is simply cutting through the sharks at will....

That whole game seemed that way.
Bolts were doing pretty much what they wanted, when they wanted.

Not too much pushback at all by the Sharks...even when they got a bogus call against them (Labanc called for slashing on Cernak when all he was doing was leaning on the stick after a face off like EVERYONE in the league does).

I know the Sharks are rebuilding, but if as a team they are just gonna sit there and get bent with no protest, then that rebuild is going to take FOREVER!

• Like 1