Wild vs Capitals; Friday 10/27/23; 6 p.m. CT; Capital One Arena

Alexandron

8 minutes ago, ClusterChuck said:

We need somebody else to be able to score. Maybe actually get 2 in a SO.

Kaprizov is still a bit off so far. He’s either whiffing or shooting wide. His shootout attempt wasn’t even close. Obviously need him to start doing what we know he can do 

14 hours ago, Jimtown guy said:

Kaprizov is still a bit off so far. He’s either whiffing or shooting wide. His shootout attempt wasn’t even close. Obviously need him to start doing what we know he can do 

Agreed.
Kap is still in the 'early season doldrums' that sometimes plagues skilled scorers this time of year.
It is being magnified by the fact the entire team just isn't in sync offensively, and not having Boldy available doesn't help either.

Just gotta muddle through till Kap and the boys get their scoring legs.
More immediate and concerning to me is the goaltending and defense.

Defense, IMO, needs to do a better job on coverage...way too many instances where teams are just slicing through them on gaps they are leaving, which of course, leads to the goalies being overexposed.

Hopefully, bad things don't get into the heads of our netminders. Gus in particular, as I am guessing MAF has seen all this before and his issues are more his aging body rather than his mental state.

Tough assignment against the Devils coming up too....

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

15 hours ago, ClusterChuck said:

Should've gave Leiterri a chance there instead of Maroon.

Or maybe Foligno? For that game SO I would put first Johanssen, Rossi, EEK, Zuccarello , Kaprizov, Our former goalie Kuemper played very motivated to win this game against us, who was named #1 star of the game, #2 star was Fleury.

Edited by Alexandron
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Jimtown guy said:

Did you see when the new coach was showing him some drawn up play and Kap looked to blow him off by turning away in the middle of it? "Yeah-Yeah" and looked straight off to the ice. 🤔
Kap is obviously an extremely talented player, But these 'slow starts' are a bit annoying as we need L1 to step up in these times when we lose players like Boldy. 
They did come alive the previous game for sure.
I sometimes feel and fear Kap and his talent doesn't mesh well with our plays and offensive design.. 
Look when he goes rogue and circles the O-zone, He's creating his own havoc and that's when he shines. Let him loose !!

1 hour ago, Alexandron said:

Or maybe Foligno? For that game SO I would put first Johanssen, Rossi, EEK, Zuccarello , Kaprizov, Our former goalie Kuemper played very motivated to win this game against us, who was named #1 star of the game, #2 star was Fleury.

No Freddie?? Are you mad? 😁 Not sure about Rossi in there either. I'd just like to see Freddie in slot 2 so it's not the pressure filled needed goal he has to produce and leave that to Kap.
Both goalies played well and Fleury got better as the game went on, So I was pulling for him to get the win. Just get past Roy for 2nd place asap.
I'd start Fleury in the next game because he deserves it and to send Gus the message that you aren't just handed to majority of starts and you have to earn it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ClusterChuck said:

Did you see when the new coach was showing him some drawn up play and Kap looked to blow him off by turning away in the middle of it? "Yeah-Yeah" and looked straight off to the ice. 🤔
Kap is obviously an extremely talented player, But these 'slow starts' are a bit annoying as we need L1 to step up in these times when we lose players like Boldy. 
They did come alive the previous game for sure.
I sometimes feel and fear Kap and his talent doesn't mesh well with our plays and offensive design.. 
Look when he goes rogue and circles the O-zone, He's creating his own havoc and that's when he shines. Let him loose !!

No Freddie?? Are you mad? 😁 Not sure about Rossi in there either. I'd just like to see Freddie in slot 2 so it's not the pressure filled needed goal he has to produce and leave that to Kap.
Both goalies played well and Fleury got better as the game went on, So I was pulling for him to get the win. Just get past Roy for 2nd place asap.
I'd start Fleury in the next game because he deserves it and to send Gus the message that you aren't just handed to majority of starts and you have to earn it.

No, I am not mad at all 😁. I was talking just about the last game options to chose in SO. Freddie is injured, and of course, he has talent in SO. I agree, probably, he deserves to be in slot 2 after Kaprizov when healthy. Let's put 1st pressure on Kaprizov (who is AC), and then to Freddie; Zuccarello; Boldy; Rossi (who gradually is making the progress in NHL); Johanssen; EEK. No questions, last game we played better than the previous game. Total 4 games in 1 week not an easy to play task, but we do not have ability to chose. NHL schedule is NHL schedule. And let's put Fleury for the next game too. Why not? How many games he suppose to win to past Roy?

4 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Agreed.
Kap is still in the 'early season doldrums' that sometimes plagues skilled scorers this time of year.
It is being magnified by the fact the entire team just isn't in sync offensively, and not having Boldy available doesn't help either.

Just gotta muddle through till Kap and the boys get their scoring legs.
More immediate and concerning to me is the goaltending and defense.

Defense, IMO, needs to do a better job on coverage...way too many instances where teams are just slicing through them on gaps they are leaving, which of course, leads to the goalies being overexposed.

Hopefully, bad things don't get into the heads of our netminders. Gus in particular, as I am guessing MAF has seen all this before and his issues are more his aging body rather than his mental state.

Tough assignment against the Devils coming up too....

Kaprizov is trying to make pretty plays instead of just taking what's there.  He doesn't have to wow us; just bury the biscuit and stop trying to turn every play into some masterful highlight.  Ugly goals get on the game highlights just as much as the pretty ones do.  

Marc-Andre Fleury played pretty well against Washington.  We probably didn't deserve to get a point in that one and we did.  

Defense is what it is.  Merrill is terrible but injuries to others keep him in the lineup.  Minnesota's lack of speed in its forwards mean they don't get as much help as their defense needs.  As much as they'd like it, Jonas Brodin can't play the whole game.  The team's defense is average best especially with #46 not in the lineup.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Alexandron said:

And let's put Fleury for the next game too. Why not? How many games he suppose to win to past Roy?

Martin Brodeur 691 
Patrick Roy 551
Marc-Andre Fleury 545

Just 7 more to beat Roy for 2nd. Nobody will ever play enough to catch Marty.
6 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Kaprizov is trying to make pretty plays instead of just taking what's there.  He doesn't have to wow us; just bury the biscuit and stop trying to turn every play into some masterful highlight.  Ugly goals get on the game highlights just as much as the pretty ones do.  

Marc-Andre Fleury played pretty well against Washington.  We probably didn't deserve to get a point in that one and we did.  

Defense is what it is.  Merrill is terrible but injuries to others keep him in the lineup.  Minnesota's lack of speed in its forwards mean they don't get as much help as their defense needs.  As much as they'd like it, Jonas Brodin can't play the whole game.  The team's defense is average best especially with #46 not in the lineup.  

MAF didn't do any flashy saves for once. That was nice to see. 

Mermis looks like he's making his case to stay once Spurgeon gets back. He's played pretty decent compared to Merril.

• Thanks 1