Game 40: Pittsburgh Penguins at Philadelphia Flyers; 1/8/24 @ 7 PM, NBCSP

Greetings:

Pitt enters as the mild favorite (-120) and has played well the past 10 games:

https://winnersandwhiners.com/games/nhl/1-8-2024/pittsburgh-penguins-vs-philadelphia-flyers-prediction-2572/

They are a good faceoff team with the league's best offense:

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/phi-vs-pit/2024/01/08/2023020622

It should be interesting. 

23 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Greetings:

Pitt enters as the mild favorite (-120) and has played well the past 10 games:

https://winnersandwhiners.com/games/nhl/1-8-2024/pittsburgh-penguins-vs-philadelphia-flyers-prediction-2572/

They are a good faceoff team with the league's best offense:

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/phi-vs-pit/2024/01/08/2023020622

It should be interesting. 

Philadelphia wins 6-1.

Yep, Flyers are on their heels, leads to taking penalties….not good at all. Hart looks fine but the Pens’ PP has been way better the last 10 games much faster, more accurate than earlier in the season. 

be nice to see the Flyers get theirs going one of these months…

edit and thar she blows! Good stuff, wicked fast release Tippett.

Edited by GratefulFlyers

I hate complaining about officiating but they miss the obvious trip on Couturier 4 feet from the crease then call the Flyers for getting shoved into the goalie. Reminds me of the early Crosby years when these games were always penalty fests. 

9 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

I hate complaining about officiating but they miss the obvious trip on Couturier 4 feet from the crease then call the Flyers for getting shoved into the goalie. Reminds me of the early Crosby years when these games were always penalty fests. 

I'm surprised the Pens winning! The Penguins in most cases, are a comedy act.

1 hour ago, notfondajane said:

The Penguins in most cases, are a comedy act.

yeah but that PP is lethal again. Flyers were lucky (and worked hard) to give up just 1 PP goal on Five chances for the Pens in the 1st alone. 

7 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

yeah but that PP is lethal again. Flyers were lucky (and worked hard) to give up just 1 PP goal on Five chances for the Pens in the 1st alone. 

I'm  surprised they scored against the Flyers. 

My take.  This is a game that shows how far we've come, and how far we need to go.  On the plus side--we skate well.  There is compete.  And I wouldn't say the Pens skated through us, which they have done quite often over the last decade.  On the down side: We can't depend on a Nic Seeler shorthanded near goal to keep us close.  We don't have distributed scoring.  A lot of our shots are 30+ feet out.  If it weren't for Hart's effort, this would have been much worse.  I am glad we picked up a promising young defender tonight, but let's face it, we really need scoring depth and one or two more Tippetts. We may be seeing the maximum effort from this squad until there's more scoring punch.  

• Good Post 2

Ok! I'm unsure of this! Flyers are 2 wins 1 regulation loss for 4 points against the Pens.  Pens have 1 regulation win and 2 ot/so losses for 4 points against the Flyers. Who leads the series?

1 hour ago, Howie58 said:

And I wouldn't say the Pens skated through us, which they have done quite often over the last decade

Well they sure did a good impression of it tonight! The Flyers’ attack was basically a series of 1-and-dones and while some of it was self-inflicted- turnovers, ill-advised passes- mostly the Pens were faster, harder on the puck and played a more structured game. And they got excellent goaltending.

They started the season like a tired, worn out bunch but they’re starting to click again. Flyers get one more crack at them in about 6 weeks…in Pittsburgh.

• Like 2

I will put out a thread after tomorrow's game with Montreal to see how the gang feels about the O and B after the first half. Again, there is progress. But we have a long way to go.

5 hours ago, Howie58 said:

But we have a long way to go.

For sure. The team is playing much better than expected but it's still just starting to figure out how to manage games, how to win when they're not at their best, etc. The TD may change the roster significantly and they could fall off a cliff, miss the POs. If they do get in I guess it'll be good experience for guys like Tippett, Foerster etc. who need to see just how tight the ice gets. They thought last night was tough...and it was... but trying to advance through the POs is a whole different thing.

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

23 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

For sure. The team is playing much better than expected but it's still just starting to figure out how to manage games, how to win when they're not at their best, etc. The TD may change the roster significantly and they could fall off a cliff, miss the POs. If they do get in I guess it'll be good experience for guys like Tippett, Foerster etc. who need to see just how tight the ice gets. They thought last night was tough...and it was... but trying to advance through the POs is a whole different thing.

Yes, we see eye-to-eye on March 8th.  It may set the rebuild back short-term, but that will be a price of progress.  At a deeper level, if this team gets to the playoffs, I wonder who will be getting the experience.  We might be surprised at who departs.  And this JD acquisition might make some of the current D expendable.

Meanwhile, one day (game) at a time.  

3 hours ago, Howie58 said:

And this JD acquisition might make some of the current D expendable.

I’m glad this Gauthier mess got straightened out now, with plenty of time before the TD. By then everyone will have had a good look at Drysdale and at least some idea where/with who he fits best. Paired with Sanheim the Flyers transition game could even get better, and it’s already one of the best in the league. Of course D-men need to defend and I’m sure Tortorella and Shaw won’t be happy trading points for halfass defense, particularly from the top pair.

The rest of the D I expect to change considerably by the TD. As much as I love Walker and Seeler they’re both 30. Plenty left in the tank and both are a huge reason for the Flyers’ success this year. But the Flyers need younger guys who will be around for the long haul. York, Zamula are young and developing nicely. Staal will get moved if possible. And then there’s Ristolainen…

Whatever happens is fine with me as long as the Flyers stick to patiently rebuilding. I believe they will. Hopefully with Drysdale they filled a huge hole, one that’s not easy to fill, and only lost a kid who obviously wasn’t at all committed to representing the Flyers.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

I’m glad this Gauthier mess got straightened out now, with plenty of time before the TD. By then everyone will have had a good look at Drysdale and at least some idea where/with who he fits best. Paired with Sanheim the Flyers transition game could even get better, and it’s already one of the best in the league. Of course D-men need to defend and I’m sure Tortorella and Shaw won’t be happy trading points for halfass defense, particularly from the top pair.

The rest of the D I expect to change considerably by the TD. As much as I love Walker and Seeler they’re both 30. Plenty left in the tank and both are a huge reason for the Flyers’ success this year. But the Flyers need younger guys who will be around for the long haul. York, Zamula are young and developing nicely. Staal will get moved if possible. And then there’s Ristolainen…

Whatever happens is fine with me as long as the Flyers stick to patiently rebuilding. I believe they will. Hopefully with Drysdale they filled a huge hole, one that’s not easy to fill, and only lost a kid who obviously wasn’t at all committed to representing the Flyers.

Grateful:

There's a lot on this in the cyber reality (or lack thereof).  Noah Cates' return amps up the problem.  Doing three healthy scratches a game is messy.  Stahl becomes even less relevant.  Apparently, Toronto has interest in Risto.  I'll know it when I see it.  Walker would be my first trade option.  Seeler--guy is a warrior and probably love the Flyers for giving him a chance after sitting out.  He's cheap.  But...this is a business.  

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Grateful:

There's a lot on this in the cyber reality (or lack thereof).  Noah Cates' return amps up the problem.  Doing three healthy scratches a game is messy.  Stahl becomes even less relevant.  Apparently, Toronto has interest in Risto.  I'll know it when I see it.  Walker would be my first trade option.  Seeler--guy is a warrior and probably love the Flyers for giving him a chance after sitting out.  He's cheap.  But...this is a business.  

Well one thing is for sure without a doubt if Torts doesn't play favorites when Noah is ready to dress again Cam Atkinson is the weakest link and must sit.

If that doesn't happen we'll that will piss me off!

• Like 1