NHL Players at Olympics

Martin Hare

Take a look at the key points of the agreement between the NHL, the IOC and the IIHF on the participation of NHL players in the 2026 and 2030 Olympics 👇
  • Good Post 1

1 hour ago, Martin Hare said:
Take a look at the key points of the agreement between the NHL, the IOC and the IIHF on the participation of NHL players in the 2026 and 2030 Olympics 👇

The NHL has almost always had a very short-sighted approach when it comes to the Olympics. I'm glad to see the players going back.

Russians are banned in team sports for the 2024 Paris summer games per their state-sponsored doping scandals.  Whether that ban extends to the 2026 Turin winter games has not yet been decided, or so I read.

It is more important for ice hockey to put on an exciting star-studded Olympic competition than other sports, as it is the only team game for a winter Olympiad.  (The summer games are so overloaded and getting even more crowded, they can afford something like, say, basketball being amateur-only should that ever occur.)

I'm the even smaller minority who says "f**k the IOC, I hate to see the NHL stop with its players going to this sh!tshow circus"

For the past decades, the Olympic comittee has become so much involved into politics, acting like parrot spokesmen of debatable regimes thar are running to show to the world who has the most money. I really liked the 1994 Lillehammer Winter games, human size, very friendly people rooting for anyone, ecological, etc. But it has turned worse and worse. I guess we should be looking forward to the 2044 Dubai or Qatar Winter games... So yeah, I despise this farce. Pierre de Coubertin should be turning mad in his grave.

7 minutes ago, Math said:

I'm the even smaller minority who says "f**k the IOC, I hate to see the NHL stop with its players going to this sh!tshow circus

This is exactly my own minority opinion.  No argument will change my mind on this.  Not that there aren't Americans who enjoy it, but i do think the enjoyment is stronger in Canada.  Give me world juniors a million times before this.  

I'm not as strong as you in dislike for the Olympics in general, though i don't remember the last time I watched a total of 10 minutes of any Olympic games.  I kind of like some of the downhill skiing she sled stuff if I'm somewhere and they have it on.  I appreciate the skill in curling but for me it's like watching televised horseshoes or cornhole.

So, I really don't bother watching, but I aggressively hate the NHL participation in the Olympics.

Edited by ruxpin
  • Thanks 1

@Math @ruxpinI don't like the IOC or the Olympic Committees of the various countries, who use money which could be much better spent than making sure a bunch of rich guys get richer. I don't like the sportswashing that goes on with the Games or the way it's currently being used in other sports like Formula 1. Trust me; I get all of that.

All of that aside, I want to see a true best-on-best tournament with the best players in the world, and the NHL's mostly non-involvement has been a bad business decision for a very long time. The World Cup of soccer is also a dubious-at-best scenario with respect to politics, but the various premier leagues around the world see the value in allowing their best players to spend two weeks involved in the highest level of competition, where the NHL always had a "why would we do that?" approach.

You don't want to be the biggest representation of the big headline tournament for a global event? Soccer leagues get it; their star player going off somewhere is going to sell jerseys and create interest in their product.  After 2008 there were a billion Messi Barcelona jerseys in circulation.

That didn't happen by accident.

edit -

I have to admit that it doesn't bother me to think of how horrified Pierre de Coubertin would be by the presence of pro athletes at the Olympics. Men born into great wealth and position get to take rather convenient positions on topics like this, while others have to feed themselves.

Edited by JR Ewing

7 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

You don't want to be the biggest representation of the big headline tournament for a global event? Soccer leagues get it; their star player going off somewhere is going to sell jerseys and create interest in their product.  After 2008 there were a billion Messi Barcelona jerseys in circulation.

All completely valid points there. And in a sense, yeah of course, I would be nice to have an "official" world cup of hockey with the 8, 10 or 12 best nations. In soccer it's easier and also it's more of a cultural thing to have that big event every four years in summer while all national championships are on holiday break. Soccer is a worldwide universal sport whereas hockey is still a niche game. In an ideal world, it would be nice to see an ice hockey world cup every two or four years outside the NHL calender, but the challenges are huge and go beyond the who, where, and more importantly: when. It's still a winter sport and as much as I love this sport, it is also good to have a break in summer and care about something else. The FIFA World Cup trophy is most wanted one, in hockey it's the Stanley.

Such event is very difficult to put in place. Even in Europe, they tried to have some sort of a Champions League with the best european teams but it's a pain in the arse. It existed in the early 1990s, then it was cancelled for lack of interest and support, then they tried a revamp version but nobody really cares. It messes up all different calenders and teams don't want to have extra games and travelling in an already busy schedule. 

On 2/17/2024 at 1:23 PM, Math said:

Even in Europe, they tried to have some sort of a Champions League with the best european teams but it's a pain in the arse. It existed in the early 1990s, then it was cancelled for lack of interest and support, then they tried a revamp version but nobody really cares. It messes up all different calenders and teams don't want to have extra games and travelling in an already busy schedule.

Perhaps so back then, I have little knowledge of it, but right now I’d say that the UEFA Champions League, and its lesser brothers like the Europa League, are very popular across Europe.  Large enthusiastic crowds in most game highlights that I view.  

Anyway, I digress and am off topic in regards to the Olympics.

On 2/17/2024 at 1:00 PM, JR Ewing said:

I don't like the IOC or the Olympic Committees of the various countries, who use money which could be much better spent than making sure a bunch of rich guys get richer.

Not to mention the corruption of the international governing bodies of various sports.  I just watched the Feb 2023 episode of Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel (soon to be or already expired off of HBO/Max).  One story was about how many put their headquarters in Lausanne, Switzerland, because the Swiss do not require much if any transparency.  

So instead of $$ going into development of their game, esp in 3rd World countries, they throw lavish parties for themselves and otherwise enrich their higher-ups.  The Swiss say that having these organizations help their economy, and whistleblowers are looked down on and/or ignored (or worse).

Still, I love watching Olympic weightlifting while not bothering to research whether it’s governing body is corrupt.  It’s my every-4-year chance to savor it.

• Like 1

"The international composition of National Hockey League rosters is unparalleled, and NHL Players take great pride in representing their countries. We are pleased that today, after intense collaborative efforts with the NHL Players' Association and the International Ice Hockey Federation, we can formally announce that NHL Players will participate in both the 2026 and 2030 Olympic hockey tournaments."