Tanev traded to Dallas

Chris tanev, a solid stay at home player was dealt to Dallas for a second and a third and a meh prospect. New Jersey got a 4th rounder by taking half of Tanevs salary.

Not gonna lie, a bit non.plussed.tanev can defend with anyone but has zero offensive abilities, Dallas has fantastic defense but I think Dallas would have been better adding hanifin. I trust Jim Nill, but this one seems a bit of an overpay. 

The footnote, Devils absorbed other teams salary for a 4th likely means they are very close to tossing the towel in on a massively disappointing season.

• Good Post 1

Sounds like the type of guy the Lightning could have used.
Then again, the Bolts likely didn't have the picks to make this happen and they likely would have had to part with a current roster player they'd prefer not to give up.

While Hanifin to Dallas probably helps their offense, it's likely he costs a lot more than Tanev did.

Pretty sure there are a number of teams circling the Flames about Hanifin....driving the cost of acquisition up as well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Sounds like the type of guy the Lightning could have used.
Then again, the Bolts likely didn't have the picks to make this happen and they likely would have had to part with a current roster player they'd prefer not to give up.

While Hanifin to Dallas probably helps their offense, it's likely he costs a lot more than Tanev did.

Pretty sure there are a number of teams circling the Flames about Hanifin....driving the cost of acquisition up as well.

I'm wondering if the Lightning now decide to target Walker and Seeler and to ensure they get them, they offer up Isaac Howard and a bad contract the Flyers absorb. The Flyers did say they were going to weaponized cap space.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I'm wondering if the Lightning now decide to target Walker and Seeler and to ensure they get them, they offer up Isaac Howard and a bad contract the Flyers absorb. The Flyers did say they were going to weaponized cap space.

I wouldn't mind either of those players.

Walker, on the Bolts would simply need to mind his own end, but he most certainly will get some offensive opportunity given how the Bolts play.

Seeler, I remember him from his Minnesota days, and while most find him to be "meh", fact is, he is the type of defensive defenseman who never gets any recognition, but just does the dirty, thankless work of solidifying the defense zone....and can throw some nasty hits now and again.

While neither of those players is worth the Bolts gutting anything to acquire them, if somehow, some median deal could be reached, I'd be happy with either.

• Like 1

I like it.

Adding depth and stabilizating this leaky defense was the #1 objective thru a right-handed Dman. This finally allows Heiskanen to play on his strong side while a having a steady and reliable partner paired with him. My assumption is that the Stars wouldn't give a 1st-round pick so a second, a conditional third (The Stars have to reach the SC final) and Grushnikov is fair. Grushnikov is a decent prospect, I liked him during the Traverse City tournament this summer but he will eventually help the Flames later while the Stars needed a RHD right now.

Also, that's maybe why Hanifin wasn't dealt because he would have required a first for sure.

Now Lyubushkin and Seeler are rumored to be dealt as well to add some toughness in a defense that is still too soft IMO. Hakanpää is the only one witrh that profile but he has been godawful this season.

• Like 2