Pettersson signs 8 years 93 million with Canucks

One big trade rumor done 

After a week of Elias Pettersson on the block, he signed an 8 year contract at 11.6 million per remaining with the Canucks.

You never know with injuries but assuming healthy, he is an offensive force at age 25. It is very fair to say he has not yet reached his peak. 

At current production, I think he's ever-so-slightly overpaid, but the contract is in the range. If he improves at all, and he's only 25, he'll be fair value. For the people who always freak out about the signing of core players to these contracts, I want to know what it is they think the GMs should do? Bridge them and pay even more? Grind them to death, extract every nickel and create animosity?

Much the same as with the William Nylander contract, the Leafs issue is Tavare's age/AAV, not the young player in his prime.

image.png

Edited by JR Ewing
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Brewin Flames said:

It's the dollar amount plus term that irks me....

Not alway sure of a contract stipulation, but 5 years into this contract he won't be worth 11 mil a year....

The next lockout/CBA there will be a push for shorter term contracts given the guaranteed nature.

To your estimate, six might be good for both player and team.

• Like 1

On 3/2/2024 at 12:35 PM, Brewin Flames said:

Love that he singed, great for him...

Silly contract for the nucks though.

Right; but what was Allvin supposed to do here? This is what I always want to know from people who think the dollars and term are unconscionable. Do you think it would have been better if he engaged in 100% cutthroat negotiations, risking the creation of a hostile situation between himself and an important part of his team's core? Relationships between player and team have been broken that way, and the Vancouver Canucks aren't better off with Elias Pettersson playing hockey somewhere else.

Should he have signed Pettersson to a bridge contract, which would make him a UFA at the end of the deal, making him even more expensive in three years? That's what happened with Darnell Nurse, who was bridged two times, creating his dreadful contract for the Oilers today.

I guess I just always wonder what people expect to happen in these things. It's one for Panthers to sign guys to lower-than-expected dollars in contracts, but with no state tax and the price of an average detached home going for what Pettersson can buy a 1-bedroom condo for in Vancouver, there are other considerations at play.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

Right; but what was Allvin supposed to do here? This is what I always want to know from people who think the dollars and term are unconscionable. Do you think it would have been better if he engaged in 100% cutthroat negotiations, risking the creation of a hostile situation between himself and an important part of his team's core? Relationships between player and team have been broken that way, and the Vancouver Canucks aren't better off with Elias Pettersson playing hockey somewhere else.

Should he have signed Pettersson to a bridge contract, which would make him a UFA at the end of the deal, making him even more expensive in three years? That's what happened with Darnell Nurse, who was bridged two times, creating his dreadful contract for the Oilers today.

I guess I just always wonder what people expect to happen in these things. It's one for Panthers to sign guys to lower-than-expected dollars in contracts, but with no state tax and the price of an average detached home going for what Pettersson can buy a 1-bedroom condo for in Vancouver, there are other considerations at play.

What if they traded him for many assets in return?

Asking for a friend?

:smileyandcomputer:

Edited by OccamsRazor
there are always options

27 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

What if they traded him for many assets in return?

Asking for a friend?

:smileyandcomputer:

The Vancouver Canucks began their rebuild at the entry draft of 2017 after finishing 2nd-last in the NHL, and it was Elias Pettersson who was the centrepiece of that rebuild. After six painful seasons spent mostly losing, while putting other pieces around Pettersson, they now find themselves themselves 1st in their division and have been in and out of 1st place overall throughout the year.

I think that trading the centrepiece of that rebuild, right when you're in a position to contend is, to put it as politely as possible, silly. I'll lean on the opinions of two great hockey men:

Sam Pollock said that the winner of a trade is the team that gets the best player. The Canucks would be instant losers in this scenario. Al Arbour said that the secret to building a winner is "no secret; it's not complicated - get good players" and keeping them is a part of that equation that we can't ignore.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 2

5 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

The Vancouver Canucks began their rebuild at the entry draft of 2017 after finishing 2nd-last in the NHL, and it was Elias Pettersson who was the centrepiece of that rebuild. After six painful seasons spent mostly losing, while putting other pieces around Pettersson, they now find themselves themselves 1st in their division and have been in and out of 1st place overall throughout the year.

I think that trading the centrepiece of that rebuild, right when you're in a position to contend is, to put it as politely as possible, silly. I'll lean on the opinions of two great hockey men:

Sam Pollock said that the winner of a trade is the team that gets the best player. The Canucks would be instant losers in this scenario. Al Arbour said that the secret to building a winner is "no secret; it's not complicated - get good players" and keeping them is a part of that equation that we can't ignore.

Well said can't argue with that.

And for the record I wasn't meaning trade him during the season I was thinking they the season play out then if you can't strike an accord then maybe a huge trade at the draft.

But staying the course makes sense too.