Sabres fire Don Granato as record playoff drought continues

Sabres fire Don Granato as record playoff drought continues

• ESPN
Apr 16, 2024, 09:38 AM ET

The Buffalo Sabres have fired coach Don Granato after their NHL-record 13th consecutive season without a playoff appearance.

The Sabres announced the firing Tuesday, one day after their season-ending victory over the Lightning. Buffalo finished 39-37-6 with 84 points.

The Sabres also fired assistant coach Jason Christie and video coordinator Matt Smith.

"I would like to thank Don for his time in Buffalo and commitment to the Sabres organization," Sabres general manager Kevyn Adams said in a statement.

"He has been integral in the development of many of our players and has undoubtedly been the right coach to bring us to where we are now, but I felt it was necessary to move in a different direction at this point in time. My expectation is to be a consistent contender and unfortunately that goal has not been met.

"I would also like to thank Jason and Matt for their contributions to the team. This is not a decision I take lightly but know it is in the best interest of our team moving forward."

The Sabres haven't made the playoffs since 2010-11.

Granato fired as Sabres coach, no replacement named

Buffalo 6th in Atlantic Division, has missed playoffs NHL-record 13 straight seasons

Don_Granato

© Bill Wippert/NHLI

ByNHL.com

Don Granato was fired as coach of the Buffalo Sabres on Tuesday.

No replacement was named.

The Sabres (39-37-6) finished sixth in the Atlantic Division. The have missed the Stanley Cup Playoffs an NHL-record 13 straight seasons.

Assistant Jason Christie and video coordinator Matt Smith were also fired.

"I would like to thank Don for his time in Buffalo and commitment to the Sabres organization," general manager Kevyn Adams said.

"He has been integral in the development of many of our players and has undoubtedly been the right coach to bring us to where we are now, but I felt it was necessary to move in a different direction at this point in time. My expectation is to be a consistent contender and unfortunately that goal has not been met."

"I would also like to thank Jason and Matt for their contributions to the team. This is not a decision I take lightly but know it is in the best interest of our team moving forward."

Granato, 56, was 122-124-27 in 274 regular-season games over four seasons after being hired March 17, 2021, to replace Ralph Krueger, who went 36-49-12 in two seasons.

The Sabres were expected to compete for the playoffs this season after missing them by one point in 2022-23, when they finished fifth in the Atlantic (42-33-7).

Granato is the eighth NHL coach fired this season joining Jay Woodcroft (Edmonton Oilers), Dean Evason (Minnesota Wild), Craig Berube (St. Louis Blues), D.J. Smith (Ottawa Senators), Lane Lambert (New York Islanders), Todd McLellan (Los Angeles Kings) and Lindy Ruff (New Jersey Devils).

Seems like the Flames 🔥 fan couldn’t post this fast enough!

TOTALLY NOT DESERVED was this firing!   I do not see comments by Adams so maybe , hopefully, his head rolls next?  He is the one that deserved to be fired, not Granato.  If healthy, this young team will get in next year unless the firing of Granato comes back to bite them.

Fire Adams NOW!

On 4/17/2024 at 7:47 PM, Samifan said:

Since they already tried a soccer coach, here is hoping the Sabres hire a Lacrosse coach next. 

Lindy Ruff new coach of Buffalo Sabres.

You can't make this sh!t up! :hehe:

28 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Hooooooly Kay Rap.....

What's next?
Ryan Miller out of retirement to lead them in net?
Matthew Barnaby for their top six?

But YOU CAN'T have Dave Andreychuk....he is happy doing intermission work for the TB Lightning!

Man...the power of @Buffalo Rick wishful thinking... :bigteeth: 

I can’t believe it!  I had to go check.  I love it!  Yes!  I do!  

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Lindy Ruff new coach of Buffalo Sabres.

You can't make this sh!t up! :hehe:

No you can’t in those famous words uttered often by Mark Groubert, one of those guys like me, obsessed with the JFK assassination.  I’m happy that Lindy is back!

35 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Hooooooly Kay Rap.....

What's next?
Ryan Miller out of retirement to lead them in net?
Matthew Barnaby for their top six?

But YOU CAN'T have Dave Andreychuk....he is happy doing intermission work for the TB Lightning!

Man...the power of @Buffalo Rick wishful thinking... :bigteeth: 

The Sabres will take a step forward next year.  I believed they were on the way with either Granato or Lindy