Eklund Flyers/Weber rumor

Guest Phillygrump

I think they should throw-in Briere, maybe add in the rights to Pronger for "future considerations."

Also, too, Bryzgalov for Rinne is a no-brainer.

Now we've successfully moved all of the players with strict No Trade and No Movement clauses and Nashville has successfully done its duty of being a developmental squad for the Flyers.

For my next trick, I'll need a volunteer.

You my friend, have "big-time NHL GM" written all over you.

I wasn't saying that I would make the trade. That is why I ended my post with:

I think the Preds would be crazy to give Weber up voluntarily unless someone was giving away the store. They've already got a dang good goalie, and he'll be the foundation for a good hockey team for years. But it DOES depend on how much Weber wants. If they think he's gonna demand SO much that it will be practically impossible to build a team around him, THEN I'd be looking at my options.

You would hope that Weber would be smart enough to know when he's got it good. That's one of the reasons I love hockey as compared with other sports--because our star players as a rule understand this better than those in other sports. But there are exceptions. Hopefully Weber doesn't try to force the Preds to give up their chance of winning a Cup or two.

NO ONE is irreplaceable. I say this as a Red Wing fan whose team now has to do the best we can to somehow replace Nick Lidstrom! The fact is that eventually everybody gets replaced. We were SO fortunate that for his entire career, Nick Lidstrom knew how good he had it and realized that not asking for astronomical salary allowed Kenny Holland to try to acquire the talent to place around him to allow him to continue to play at a competitive level for most of his career. Hopefully Weber is smart enough to realize this as well. He has it good, and Nashville isn't very far from winning their final game of the playoffs, if only they can use their resources wisely. Weber's got a lot to do with that.

Agreed and for once, Nashville has the money to start putting in some of the other pieces they need. As a quality organization goes, the only ones that come to mind with any sense of familiarity is Detroit, Philly and Nashville- as far as year in year out.

I don't think so, but mostly because of the fact that Weber is an RFA. I think the price is too steep given that Weber is not guaranteed to sign in Philly for the rest of his career.

Truthfully that is a non-issue for me. Better to be a RFA than a UFA (ala suter). Also, given Poiles and Homers long standing relationship, I coule see something where a deal was arranged and all that remained was the signatures of the GM's AFTER the Flyers had an hour or so conversation with Weber to determine that he indeed would be happy to be a Flyer and not sign an offer sheet with another team (which under the current CBA and presuming he is going to make 8M plus would have four first round picks coming back to us).

Agreed and for once, Nashville has the money to start putting in some of the other pieces they need. As a quality organization goes, the only ones that come to mind with any sense of familiarity is Detroit, Philly and Nashville- as far as year in year out.

I know you probably couldn't make the words come out of your fingers for obvious reasons, so I'll do it for you: I think that as far as the last decade goes, I think you've got to add Pittsburgh to that list. They actually won a Cup, and they have been consistently in the mix since.

Trust me, I don't like 'em either, and I'll never forgive Bettman for allowing Malkin to turn the series and take the Cup from us. But they do deserve to be on that list. You are excused for the oversight. ;-)

I know you probably couldn't make the words come out of your fingers for obvious reasons, so I'll do it for you: I think that as far as the last decade goes, I think you've got to add Pittsburgh to that list. They actually won a Cup, and they have been consistently in the mix since.

Trust me, I don't like 'em either, and I'll never forgive Bettman for allowing Malkin to turn the series and take the Cup from us. But they do deserve to be on that list. You are excused for the oversight. ;-)

Pit cheated, had a draft fixed (Crosby), and previously tanked for years to collect picks. F them. They are NOT a model organization. They should be in KC or LV, but they held their "beloved" city hostage for cash to stay. And, they cheer for Bettman.

• Like 1

Pit cheated, had a draft fixed (Crosby), and previously tanked for years to collect picks. F them. They are NOT a model organization. They should be in KC or LV, but they held their "beloved" city hostage for cash to stay. And, they cheer for Bettman.

I suppose it's a difference in how I was defining "quality organization." I was looking at results for the last decade. I would agree with everything you said if "quality organization" looks beyond performance as far as competition for the Cup. But I think a lot is said by consistent performance. Just because you've got talent, doesn't mean you win. I think Nashville's team was more talented than the Kings, but obviously that doesn't mean they win. You must be doing SOMETHING right to win consistently over many years, even if you don't have it all together.

Pittsburgh has somehow managed to consistently be in the mix. I don't like it, but it's reality. Whether I like how they obtained it or not, the Pens have a quality core of players with lots of talent. I don't like how Cindy gets preferential treatment by the league. I don't like how Malkin gets it either. I don't like Cindy's style of play with his diving and his whining. That doesn't mean they aren't talented players. And they still compete every year for the Cup, and have done so since their '03 handout.

I'd agree 100% as to how the organization is run other than competitive performance. They aren't in the same league as the others. If that is what we are talking about, then I retract my addition to the list. Fair enough.