Shanahan cites lack of intent in not suspending Lucic

Guest FlyersFan4Life

How can Shanny make assumptions about a player's intent? If intent was criteria, the NHL wouldn't have the stupid automatic delay of game penalty for flipping the puck over the glass where, 99.9% of the time, it's clearly not intentional!

It's this kind of silliy contradictory message that makes the NHL look dumb.

Never mind that Lucic appears to make no effort to avoid Miller where he had 40 acres of ice to do so in. No effort to avoid contact means, ipso facto that he intended to make contact.

Not that I care - I think goalies should be fair game. But that's not what the rules say.

He could have made a move to avoid the contact with the goalie.

He could have made an attempt to play the puck.

He did neither of these things, paying no attention to the puck whatsoever, and slammed into Miller head-on, bringing his arms up as the impact occurred.

If the *didn't* "intend" to hit Miller, just what the hell was he "intending" to do there?

what gets me. if I was miller i would be more pissed at my teammates. they have no back bone not one of the sabres dropped their gloves or jumped milan they just pushed him out of the way. sabres have no spine

totally. I said this in another thread. That's what stuck out to me the most. I'd have laid into them in the dressing room if I were Miller.

Getting to this discussion awfully late. One can make the barely plausible case that it wasn't deliberate but we all know it was. He appeared to look up and to brace himself prior to the hit. Then he went to the disciplinary hearing and lied to Shanahan's face.

I used to like Lucic as a player but I soured on him a while ago because of crap like this. This is Sean Avery type stuff. I hope the Sabres send their goons after him next game and that Miller goes Ron Hextall on him with his goal stick.