A deeper look at the Nash trade....

Guest jammer2

Just found this article on the Nash trade, the speculation on what the BJ's passed up seemed fun enough to warrant it's own thread. Wow, if these trade proposals are true, the Blue Jackets messed up LARGE. Let the Howen bashing commence...or at least continue!!!

http://insidehockey.com/breaking-down-the-nash-trade

Edited by jammer2
  • Like 1

Just found this article on the Nash trade, the speculation on what the BJ's passed up seemed fun enough to warrant it's own thread. Wow, if these trade proposals are true, the Blue Jackets messed up LARGE. Let the Howen bashing commence...or at least continue!!!

http://insidehockey.com/breaking-down-the-nash-trade

I can't believe the Rangers got away with this. Howson is a buffoon.

• Like 1

@Polaris922 What this trade really did, was upset the balance of power in the Eastern Conference.

It'll be interesting. We nearly swept them, they nearly swept you, and you nearly swept us. What will this do to the balance? Guess we'll see. They lost two top 6 forwards for Nash. If his chemistry isn't right it could prove interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

@Polaris922 I dunno about that, I saw quite a bit of the Rags last season, Dubinsky and Artem were rarely if ever in the top six. Dubinsky had 2 goals once Christmas rolled around. He was taken off the scoring lines around mid Nov, Artem was blocked by Richards and the breakout of Stephan....mostly killed penalties and anchored the checking line when the line up was healthy.

@Polaris922 I dunno about that, I saw quite a bit of the Rags last season, Dubinsky and Artem were rarely if ever in the top six. Dubinsky had 2 goals once Christmas rolled around. He was taken off the scoring lines around mid Nov, Artem was blocked by Richards and the breakout of Stephan....mostly killed penalties and anchored the checking line when the line up was healthy.

Still their numbers 7 and 8 point getters on the year. I agree Nash is an improvement for them, but we'll see how much. They pretty much dominated you guys from what I remember, you dominated us, and we dominated them. We'll see what this season brings. They add Nash, you guys lose Jagr and defense, but bring up youth, and we lose Sullivan and bring up a long waiting young d-man. Time will tell...

• 2 weeks later...

I can't believe the Rangers got away with this. Howson is a buffoon.

I agree, my Rangers got off well on this. Technically it was about even but still, when you have an all star like Nash, your supposed to get more talent then your giving. Rangers made off nicely. Just wondering in your opinion, do you think we could have traded Dubinsky for a 1st round pick if this trade did not go down? Thanks

:o <--My after after reading about this trade

:huh: <----My face when thinking about what I just read.

:rolleyes: <----Its starting to kick in.

:D <----WE JUST GOT NASH FOR SCRAPS!!!!! ....Actually i loved Anisimov but...yeah

Awesome deal, very happy and excited for my Rangers. Cant wait!

@The Bishop Welcome to the board! Excellent to have a Rangers fan in here. Will give us some different perspectives. To answer your question, I don't think Dubinsky would have fetched a first rounder after *last* season. Going into training camp last year, I realy thought he was going to have a break out year.....even drafted him in fantasy hockey (late..lol) to follow up on that hunch, so in my line of thinking, he might have been worth a late first rounder before the drop off the cliff last year. Love what the guy brings, grit, tenactiy, character....and he is far more skilled than what he showed last year...one measley goal at Christmas time....wow, he fell off the charts!

I think he got pushed out of the way by the emergence of Stephan and the signing of Richards among other variables. He can potentially be a top six forward, but it was not happening on the Rangers. With Kreider waiting in the wings, it made him that much more expendable. I do think the more skilled his linemates are, the more his point totals will go up. He needs others to create rather than vice versa.

• Like 2

@The Bishop

Welcome to HockeyForums. I think you are the first Ranger fan to actually post. Others have joined.

Just wondering in your opinion, do you think we could have traded Dubinsky for a 1st round pick if this trade did not go down? Thanks
I guess it depends to which team and how badly they needed a checking center......a late first round pick maybe, but I doubt it. A second rounder would probably be more likely.
  • Like 1

I agree, my Rangers got off well on this. Technically it was about even but still, when you have an all star like Nash, your supposed to get more talent then your giving. Rangers made off nicely. Just wondering in your opinion, do you think we could have traded Dubinsky for a 1st round pick if this trade did not go down? Thanks

Welcome to the forums... will be a new perspective for certain with all the Flyers fans and a few Pens fans here.

I second @jammer2 on what Dubinsky was worth. I believed in the guy, and thought he might prove formidable going into last season. His value lowered drastically this past season. I think it has a lot of people wondering if he has talent or just benefitted from strong linemates. I wouldn't give a first rounder for him right now, that's for certain. Let's revisit this at the mid-point of the next season?

Welcome to the forums... will be a new perspective for certain with all the Flyers fans and a few Pens fans here.

I second @jammer2 on what Dubinsky was worth. I believed in the guy, and thought he might prove formidable going into last season. His value lowered drastically this past season. I think it has a lot of people wondering if he has talent or just benefitted from strong linemates. I wouldn't give a first rounder for him right now, that's for certain. Let's revisit this at the mid-point of the next season?

I agree with you as well. After bringing in Richards, Dubinsky just looked less confident or something but I still cant forget all he has done for us in the previous years. Jammer said it best though, Dubi can be a top six forward but not with the Rangers. The trade was good for us and probably good for him as well. He needed a change of scenary, a fresh new start but we can revisit the subject next season to have a better idea. Thanks all for the warm welcome, happy to be here.

I agree with you as well. After bringing in Richards, Dubinsky just looked less confident or something but I still cant forget all he has done for us in the previous years. Jammer said it best though, Dubi can be a top six forward but not with the Rangers. The trade was good for us and probably good for him as well. He needed a change of scenary, a fresh new start but we can revisit the subject next season to have a better idea. Thanks all for the warm welcome, happy to be here.

You definitely got Nash for under market value!

You definitely got Nash for under market value!

Of course we did did. Howson must have really been put under the gun or something. I was shocked and I still am when that trade went down. But what Im saying is we also gave up alot of talent from one possition. We lost 5 of our 6 Centers this offseason, the 2 most talented centers we lost were a part of that trade. So we kind of feel the sting from it but of course it was worth it. You aren't supposed to trade a player like Nash unless your technically getting more tallents worth back. Watch, its gonna happen this year too with Jarome Iginla but that's a bit different since hes a free agent next year anyway I believe. Thanks for the post

• Like 1

@The Bishop The big difference between Nash and Iggy is RIck turned 28 this past summer, Jerome 35...pretty big difference....Nash has lots of good years left, Iggy....2 or 3 tops. Actually, Jerome is one of the guys this lockout could hurt the most. Just like 04 lockout, he could be one of the guys who comes back and is never the same.

@The Bishop The big difference between Nash and Iggy is RIck turned 28 this past summer, Jerome 35...pretty big difference....Nash has lots of good years left, Iggy....2 or 3 tops. Actually, Jerome is one of the guys this lockout could hurt the most. Just like 04 lockout, he could be one of the guys who comes back and is never the same.

Oh yeah Jammer I know, but look at Jerome's stats from the last 2 years. In 2010-11 (2 seasons ago) he had 43 goals and 43 assists!!! Thats better then any year Nash ever had, and this past year Jarome had 32 goals and 35 assists. If you ask me, Jarome still has some impressive years left, maybe even 5 more solid years. But Nash brings a different kind of game to the Rangers which we lacked. And that's being a clutch goal scorer. He is such an amazing player and he's a leader too. I hope we can land a good right winger and/or a 3rd line center next free agency.

I guess it depends to which team and how badly they needed a checking center......a late first round pick maybe, but I doubt it. A second rounder would probably be more likely.

Well, Paul Gaustad garnered a 1st for Buffalo - and I think there's more offensive upside to Dubinsky than Gaustad, while still bringing the defensive checking side.

Most trades do depend on when they are made and what other teams "need" - Nashville clearly wanted a third line center with experience and got it in Gaustad.

Well, Paul Gaustad garnered a 1st for Buffalo - and I think there's more offensive upside to Dubinsky than Gaustad, while still bringing the defensive checking side.

Most trades do depend on when they are made and what other teams "need" - Nashville clearly wanted a third line center with experience and got it in Gaustad.

Yeah that is true. I guess I'd be ok with a late first round pick, not much more than that though.

• Like 1

Yeah your right. Age is age. Ray Whitney can still play the game with skill but can he take a big hit like he used too? Most deffinitally not and the same goes for Iggy. Your point is correct, I know what you mean. I have a question, how's Nashs defense, do you know? Im sure your aware that defense comes first on this team. I wonder how Nash does with our coach, and I know how great he is on offense but I've heard people say hes not gonna be prepared to block shots. What do you think Jam?

@The Bishop I don't remember seeing him block a lot of shots, but that does not mean much, he might have and I just don't remember it. In general, he plays ok defense, not super tenacious, but is concerned about the other team cycling or having possession in his end. He's such a good skater that he can close on the puck quickly on defense, gobbling up a lot of loose pucks etc. I'd say he does his part and is somewhat interested, but not great on defense....just kinda average....which is better than most offensive minded players....lol.

• Like 1