Replacement players?

Guest Irishjim

Gary_Bettman_103118792.jpg

| By early 2013, we may be hearing more and more about the possibility of replacement players. In previous labour battles they have cancelled a half season, a whole season and even had a year where they did not award a Stanley Cup. One former NHL executive feels if a labour deal is not worked out with the players by Jan. 15, 2013, the NHL hiring non-union players could be the owners' prerogative and very well their next logical move. And former Maple Leaf assistant general manager Bill Watters said make no mistake, it could be done very easily. "There are enough free agents around and players under contract in junior, on reserve lists and in the AHL to ice a team in every city," said Watters. "It is conceivable."

I don't know. It's a coin toss for me. Watching a bunch of scrubs could be entertaining watching the train wreck. Now, if they did do it. which is unlikely, they had better NOT present a Stanly Cup! But, I really don't think that will happen. I can't even see NBC airing those games... And who is gonna pay those ticket prices to watch that? When I go to an ECHL game I know what I'm getting. Go to an NHL game and there is a certain expectation on talent level...

@idahophilly I remember when the NFL had the scrubs playing....networks still aired the games, and suprisingly enough, people still watched the scrubs go through the motions...I would expect the same if the NHL tried it. BUT....the players who were involved as NFL scrubs were forever labeled and never had a legit chance to make a career out of it afterwards....something for hockey players to think about before crossing the picket lines!

Oh I agree on crossing the picket lines. Unless you KNOW this is the only time you will ever play in the NHL you had better not cross that line. But, I really don't see that happening anyway. That would be an even bigger slap in the face to the fans and NHLPA... It's not a good bargaining tool for the owners when all is said and done...

And former Maple Leaf assistant general manager Bill Watters said make no mistake, it could be done very easily

Well, no ****, Mr Watters. Toronto has been using replacements for NHL players for years--no wonder he isn't worried about doing it during a lockout. PFFFFFTTTTTTT.......

• Like 1